[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Alan HassellTopic starter
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:40:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Where There's Muck There's Money
    By Alan Hassell (? Copyright 13/04/98 All rights reserved.

The word Treasure conjures different things to many individuals. For some, it could be buried pirate loot on some remote island. The spoils of sea battles, deposited but never retrieved owing to maybe, swift justice at the end of a rope. It could also be gold bullion in the hold of a sunken ship, or the wealth and possessions of an Egyptian King, like the fabulous Tutankhamen's treasure.

These are the treasures we all dream about, but owing to expenses involved and our personal commitments we are unable to search for them. However there are thousands of small treasures within reach of the average person if we did but realize it. Have you ever asked yourself, define the word treasure?

Basically it is anything you find that is worth money, and the list is endless. Treasures come in many shapes, sizes, colours and metals. Ever heard the saying one man's meat is another mans poison? It's the same as saying one man's junk is another man's treasure. Here's another one for your, Where there's muck, there's money. What was considered junk or muck 100 years ago, to an antique dealer today could be quite a saleable item of value?

Although Australia's history of settlement as we know it may not be as great as other countries, there are still some very interesting places where valuable treasures are waiting to be found. Maybe by someone like yourself, if you have the inclination and the patience. In fact some of you could start looking around your own home, especially if you're living in a property 75 to 100 years old. All sorts of goodies could be concealed in these places only to be forgotten about at a later date.

Death could be another reason why treasure was not recovered. It's amazing how many people used to place coins in tin cans and bury them, rather than trust a bank. Sometimes it could have been buried in the garden, or under some loose floorboard, or behind a loose brick in a wall. However, there is one little treasure in that 100-year-old garden just waiting for someone to dig it up. As the title of this article indicates, where there's muck, there's money.

Where would most of the muck be put in a 100-year-old garden? First of all we have to establish what is considered as muck. Food scraps would have been fed to the dog or other animals around the place. They could have had chickens, for a supply of eggs and meat. That's not exactly the kind of muck were interested in either, but it's quite on the cards that little holes would have been dug to bury such items as discarded bottles.

Bottles may not sound much of a treasure, but when you consider that a Black Horse Whisky Bottle is worth over $350, then that's someone's treasure. Bottles are much sought after by collectors, who are willing to pay good money for something unusual to add to their collection. It is another form of investment. Some of those old holes contain numerous old bottles. Let's face it you cant burn them, you can only break or bury them.

Some bottles were made of very strong glass and did not break easily when thrown into a hole. Sure there will be breakage's, but you can bet your bottom dollar they didn't all break. Therefore you could strike it lucky. Apart from obvious dumps there's always another place worth inspection, and that's the good old thunder box or dunny.

Treasures in the Thunder box. Believe it or not, prior to the septic tank and sewerage, most thunder boxes were situated out in the garden somewhere. All they were in reality was a hole in the ground. Such holes can contain such items as guns that were concealed in haste for fear of being discovered, coins and bottles. Now to some people the idea of digging up human excrement is downright repulsive.

Over the years, it has become just as much part of the soil as the rest of the area. In fact it's easy work and not in the least unpleasant. In some places remember that a trench may have been used where for instance a public toilet existed. Metal detector's can be very handy when searching old home sites, and a good place to start is under the shade of trees. Before the advent of television it was almost a nightly ritual to lie under the shade of a tree.

Often coins would fall from men's pockets as they lay there. The kitchen door is always another likely spot: dirty dishwater was often thrown out of the door onto the lawn. It's also possible that a piece of silver cutlery was discarded in this manner. Coins are found almost everywhere around old houses. Anyone can build up a good collection this way.

Always be on the lookout for old letters these invariably have stamps attached. Some of those stamps could be worth BIG BUCKS. Although the above refers to old houses, the list that could be included as such is very extensive. In fact any old building over 100 years old or more is worthy of a search.

Naturally another place you are likely to find treasure is down on the beach. Beach combing has been going on for years, with and without detectors. Thousands of coins are lost annually on the beach, together with all sorts of jewellery, such as rings, watches and chains. Almost daily in the Lost and Found columns of the daily newspapers, advertisements appear for some item or another lost on the beach. The owner often offers rewards for their safe return.

The alert treasure hunter can easily be directed to the spot by the owner reducing search times. Insurance Companies sometimes pays rewards too. When Australia was being colonized, settlements were established. However some of these owing to isolation or some other reason failed.

Not a great deal is known about some of these early settlements, but some very old coins could be found in these area's. The same applies in many other colonized countries. It is also well known that during the early days of settlement, whaling played an important part in many of these settlements.

Many were later abandoned and left to the elements. Although this article refers to Australia, there are many deserted whaling stations around the world waiting re-discovery by some adventurous treasure hunter. Who knows what kind of relics one could find in such a location? In fact there are several on the N.S.W. east coast near Eden, and that's just for starters.

Ghost Towns. Moving inland into the gold rush area, numerous gold towns sprung up overnight to disappear just as fast and became ghost towns. James Flett wrote a magnificent book entitled,"History of Gold Discovery in Victoria." Many clues are given about the old gold town, populations, etc. Remember one thing when going onto any old goldfields; most people carried their possessions either in a wheelbarrow, or on horseback. Most lived in tents, only if they were getting good gold were they to build something more permanent, like a humpy. (building made of mud and brick)

All you could expect to find today is a pile of rubble with a chimney. Roofs were either thatched or made of tent canvas. It was a goldfields then you also expect to find hotels, churches. Schools and shops. Some would have had a dirt floors. Whilst other had timber floors. Coins often fell through the cracks in the roughly hewn timber-boards. Numerous old bottles can also be found on the old goldfields.

Then there's always the possibility of finding some gold overlooked by the old miner's. Often gold was thrown out of the hole unnoticed by the digger and still remains there to this day. It's worth mentioning here that many of the old gold miner's never really knew what they were doing and never really bottomed onto the wash.

Most of the old shafts over the years have filled in to some extent, and who knows what you might find were you to resume digging, especially if gold had been found on top around the collar of the shaft. The so-called prospector forget the old timer's had to dig for their gold and far too many are not prepared to put any effort into a given project. Unlike other countries, the closest Australia ever got to Civil war, was in reality only a skirmish at the Eureka Stockade in Ballarat, Victoria.

The replica built there as a memorial was erected on a site some distance from where the original stockade was built. Should you be lucky enough to find the exact spot it's on the cards that some guns and pistols might be found. During the First and Second World Wars, Australia had many old Army and POW camps today many of these are deserted.

Logging was also in full swing and many old logging camps are still waiting to be found. Australian's loved horse racing and many bush racetracks existed and still do to this day. Where were they situated? This is where the real treasure hunter glows amongst his neighbours. He does his research, locates an old forgotten place and exploits his knowledge. At certain times of the year old lakes are drained, these places were great dumping grounds for all sorts of useful treasures such as bottles, guns, and the proceeds from robberies.

The list goes on and on, some individuals have also realized there's big money to be made out of other peoples rubbish and have set themselves up for life. They saw a need of other people wanting to dispose of their rubbish and started up a skip hire business. Why go looking for treasure when it can come to you. Only those with the powers of observation will realize that where there's muck, there's money. ?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10710.msg67980.html#msg67980

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:24:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been at this for 40 years and still pick up pointer from every one of your post. Thanks Alan

The hardest part is finding buyers, I have always been lucky, My Grandmother my mother and now my wife have been in the antique business with shops in good areas. The only problem is with my wife I hardly ever get paid for my stuff.
eBay is also a good place to sale, I sale a lot of books there but seem to run into problems with artifacts

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10710.msg67990.html#msg67990

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Alan HassellTopic starter
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:31:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I learnt one thing when selling any of my finds and that was never sell to a dealer or a jeweller because they only pay what they can get it for.  Jewellers have two prices their own and what they can buy at.  Jewellers will work out how much per gram an item is worth at gold value and maybe pay you either 2/3rdes or 3/4 quarters of what its worth by weight.  They dont take into consideration that there might be diamonds or precious stones in it either.
Today detedctorist are getting smarter and learning the value of gold and precious stones.  In Britain in some areas not all i have noticed many high street jewellers are closing. 
These are being replaced by Pawn shops because if someones short of money they hock their goodies hoping to get it back.
If they cant pay the interest and get it back they lose it.  So the pawnbroker buys something for a fraction of its true value and when the customer defaults they make a huge profit. 
I also know a guy who was a jeweller and only sold Timex watches but he used to buy in old gold and this he put through his polishing machines and ultra sonic cleaners and sold those rings supposedly as new making huge profits too.
Theres a lot of dodgy things going on in the jewellry trade but unless you know about them no dealers going to tell you.
Maybe Ebay is the way to go who knows it all depends after finding out what the items worth if your prepared to accept whats offered or go for a higher bid...  Only you can decide.  Either way its a good way of earning spare cash so the more you invest in better machines the more likely you are of returning your investmant faster.  The only drawback is your detectors not going to earn you money watching the tv with a beer in one hand and the detector in the other,  Grin you have to get out there and dig the goodies up for yourself in order to reap the benifits lol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10710.msg68049.html#msg68049

Offline DRIFTWOOD CHARLEY
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

225.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GARRETT
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 11:33:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great post Alan, thanks again. Everyone should read read it over, especially newbies.

I've sold a few things on eBay and done quite well but my best deal was done through an "Honest" dealer who put me in touch with a collector who wanted a specific item I had to offer. This situation was very rare and I was very leery of the deal, but it all worked out. Next time I want to look up seldom's Grandmother.

The "Muck Factor" is the most logical approach. Not too many Double Eagles have fallen out of a Cowboy's pocket while riding the open range. It's been my experience that the accumulation of people leads to the accumulation of finds.

I also learned that when I put the beer can down, I found myself out there in the field much more often. Now I save it for the campfire.

Keep these great posts up. I've been doing this for quite a few years and learn something new on this site everyday.

Thanks   DC

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10710.msg68165.html#msg68165

IT'S NOT THE YEAR, IT'S THE MILEAGE

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 02:03:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Always a good reminder that while looking for the big strike dont step over the smaller ones Smiley Great stuff Alan.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10710.msg68196.html#msg68196

Offline upsmanpa
Silver Member

Life's A Garden Dig It!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 07:21:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the reminder to look in places that are so ordinary we can miss them without realizing it, have a great 2010!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10710.msg80416.html#msg80416

Offline johnnn
Silver Member

Thank you43

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

7190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Arado 120 b/ Tesoro.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 12:39:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi A H,
Selling artifacts on the web is or can be risky, I was informed by the curator of one of our Canadian forts here in ONT that he actually cruises the web buying up any artifact from 1812 that the seller says was "dug" , I dont think prosecutions follow but he does get to know who you are..
HH.....Johnnn Teach

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10710.msg81571.html#msg81571

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:13:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've been involved in bottle digging and let me tell you that some bottles reach several thousand dollars in value...none of mine did, but I lnow of someone who dug a bottle listed at the $10,000 level or so they claimed. But listing a price in a book and actually getting that amount is an entirely different matter...Some item, whether bottle or relic, etc. is actually only worth what someone is willing to give for the item.  Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10710.msg82457.html#msg82457

Offline johnnn
Silver Member

Thank you43

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

7190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Arado 120 b/ Tesoro.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 08:25:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Alan,
I got a check mark against "ALL" of those tips after 37 years doing this hobby you are confronted by all scenarios willing or by accident, you just reminded me of some aspects that I had forgot, excellent post..Johnnn

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10710.msg82465.html#msg82465

Offline sharky2561
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 06:01:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

hi Alan i have read a lot of your post as a newbie and picked up a lot of useful information with what i have learned so far i am beginning to feel like an old hand many thanks please keep up the new post

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10710.msg82571.html#msg82571

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: