[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline aspardeshiTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
India
Referrals: 0

296.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Trying to make my own
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 02:15:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks GD,

Rather than buying or renting for experience, I would prefer to do some electronics with the help of a engineer and build one, I think I will get the max knowledge when i do it. How is that ?  Wink There I will find the greatest opportunities to learn and understand / review my practicalities and beliefs and judgements. XR71 or DBP 2010 is a very great project to build to start with, as far as depth of scanning is concerned. I will do it with the help of an electronics engineer in a very short span of time. If I go for buying, I may get into scam as I have very less knowledge of it. on the contrary, I can take help of engineer and see for results and also improve on it, when i make one.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59536.html#msg59536

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:20:54 am by aspardeshi »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 03:14:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You really should get over the issue of depth being important. Topsoil in most of the world is no more than 10" and compacted soil is the next layer. You rarely find things below topsoil so the depth is only important in archaeological work or in gold mining. For general hobby use, a detector that will find a fairly large coin at 10" will do the right job on a gold ring.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59561.html#msg59561

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 03:43:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Golddigger1950  I complment you on your patience and perseverance with Asperdishi who has no detector knowledge, never used one, never owned one either.  Maybe he is under the impression that all you need is a detector go waving it around randomly and locate the treasure of a long lost king or czar hehehe.

We both know it doesnt work that way and before you can even consider finding something valuable you must put in the groundwork which is only gained by practical experience in the field together with a lot of research.

You are right in suggesting he buy an inexpensive machine to begin with and i agree whole heartedly with what you say.
I also feel that his DIY aproach to metal detecting is a waste of time money and effort.  Theres an old saying that if you only have the money for shoestrings you will never be able to buy a pair of shoes.  enough said.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59563.html#msg59563

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 04:04:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Alan, I have known some DIY projects to cost 10 times the price of buying a similar product from a commercial seller. I'm sure you have, too. The fun may be in the building and the cost being spread out over a period of time may also smooth over the fact of the real cost. I do design my own detectors and have a bench full of rejected models. There's a lot of experimentation to be done to reach my goals.

Yes, I am patient with those who are keen to be in this hobby or profession. As a beginner many years ago, I had millions of questions which I was fortunate enough to ask of knowledgeable men and women. I hesitate to guess where I'd be without them. Books are the real answer. He should look to books by Karl Von Mueller or Roy Cagle for guidance. Almost all of the Ram Publishing books are aimed at beginner to intermediate treasure hunters. There may even be an e-book or two around where he can get instant gratification and download his book as soon as he pays for it. Karl's Exanimo Press is long gone but Karl's books are his legacy.

Some say that Karl was mostly a storyteller with some measure of fiction mixed into his treasure tales. No matter. His advice was sound and remains so. Roy writes mostly about Garrett detectors in his books but if you read around that myopic viewpoint, there is a tremendous wealth of experience there which he is sharing. Somebody once gave me a book of his just because the first picture showed a Garrett machine. He was a die-hard White's user.

Whatever our young fellow decides to do here, I hope he stays as curious and eager as he is right now. I suggested that he buy an inexpensive machine so that he can keep the enthusiasm going and get some real world, dirt level experience in addition to building his own machine. He can be outside on the beautiful days he has on this planet and inside during the nasty weather working on his baby.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59571.html#msg59571

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 04:17:20 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 09:49:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Again your words of wisdom ring out loud and clear, when i was starting out I found all the Ram books excellant reading and I myself learnt much from them in the process. This hobby of ours is a learning process which we can never get enough of and it will continue until the day we die I guess.
I could of written a book myself but chose not to for a number of reasons mostly personal instead I decided to put my matrerial on the internet in order that others would learn and become interested in the hobby too.
It was never mine as some might say but having learnt the hard way because in those days it was all a matter of experimentation working with land based detectors that were never designed to be used in the water.
Knowledge is something money just cannot buy an individual needs to gain experience first hand by going out and gaining that knowledge through trial and error.  My god we all make errors and learn by our mistakes and I made many in my early years.
I was lucky in so much I learnt by my mistakes as well all do and try not to make the same ones again.
You are right when you say a novice eager to learn the many factors about detectors and detecting to start with and inexpensive machine, for the simple reason that even with a low cost machine it is still possible even in this day and age to find something valuable which in money terms would help to pay for and DIY projects that anyone might have or want to build.
Not only that its the thrill of being out in the fresh air getting some excercise and learning whilst your searching too.
You have given wise and carefully thought out advice and i commend you for it.  regards alan

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59633.html#msg59633

Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
India

296.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Trying to make my own
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 10:23:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

:Smiley Thanks Experts !

There is an old saying as you have rightly pointed out:-

While one person is afraid and hesitate to do things........
The other one is busy making mistakes and growing stronger.... !

I can buy an inexpensive machine, but you know in todays world, people sell garbage and most probably use good things for their own self. So the chances that I get ditched for hefty amount are very high. (The cost of the new machine is also very high here in India) . So it is better to do experiments, a component here and there, I can afford to change it, review it, I have ample of time, but I think the knowledge I gain out of it will help me build many machines in the future and help newbies to enter into the field with some professional machine which I will already use for my own. When I purchase, I cannot guarantee that the machine is tried by the manufacturer, There may be quality problems and many other problems which manufacturers do not reveal at the time of selling.  Pray There I will have to pray for ! If I get ditched, my confidence level will go tremendously down, which will not happen in case I build one and it fails, because in that case I will know what is happening with the help of my collegues. After all life is a learning process, anyhow you take it. So why learn at manufacturers or a commercial vendors talent, It is better to learn and work at our own resources. The resources are from the reliable highly technical professionals like on this forum who are willing to help at any moment, and are all experienced and seniors.

This time is my first time to build a machine, and I am going to try all possible technologies which people use, like for example, I am planning to dowse and on a successfull target and then hover a MD over the target ! Howzatt ! I know anyhow I am going to find something in life ! but that experience will be worth Iridium !

I am very glad and happy to join a forum like this. I will never ever repent in my life.

Thank you all and may god bless you all.

Kind Regards

HH Aspardeshi

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59730.html#msg59730

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:54:49 pm by aspardeshi »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 04:37:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Aspardeshi, even the cheapest machines will find metal. If you were to buy a low end machine, you'd be gaining experience. When you do finally build your own machine, you will also have a benchmark against which to test it. It might take you a year to build one. You've already spent two weeks asking questions and searching for your ideal project. In those two weeks, you might find 500 items of value. That's fairly typical, depending on how much time you spend each day searching.

Do you work full time? If so, what do you do?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59744.html#msg59744

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
India

296.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Trying to make my own
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 05:11:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

I agree to you. I am doing a job and planning to do this over a single site once a week. I know it can be done from the cheapest MD, but that too is very hard to find second hand here in India. People just sell new for higher cost which currently i cannot afford. But i can gather electronics and have experts to assemble. which i think i can do fast. sorry for any thing which may have hurt you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9389.msg59751.html#msg59751

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: