[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline theChadTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites DFX
« on: September 25, 2009, 01:39:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just got back from big bear california or holcomb valley.  After a year of prospecting I finally feel confident in what im doing.  I see alot of deep holes people have made but its alot of work and to be honest i havnt gotten as much gold from this method as i have doing it the easy way.  From everyone ive talked to and read about holcomb has some gold veins in crystal but most people say the area is best for small flake only.  After more than a few trips of hard digging and crevice cleaning i tried a few buckets of some light material on the surface and got more and bigger flake from the easy digging.  Plus i can move 2 to 3 times the material digging the topsoil only.  Actually what i looked for is areas with lots of long pine needles and 2 - 3 inches thick.  i just shovel it up into my drywasher along with maybe 1 - 3 inches of underlying soft dirt.  i could fill buckets with my hands to move the soft material when i was tired and resting.  this has rewarded me with much better results for my time.  Why i look now for long pine needles and lots of them to me means this topsoil hasnt been worked at least in a long time if ever because if the area is disturbed the pine needles would easily be broken.  anyway whether good or bad i got 1/4 oz of flake in 12 hours of digging and every test spot i ran in different pine needle buildup areas had color so i think i figured out how to maximize my time and profits locally =).  Im excited that if its the case here in holcomb valley it might be true other places ive been to and havnt done too well.  hope this helps in your search and let me know if you have had the same experience and how it works out for you.  happy hunting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8197.msg51417.html#msg51417

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:27:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey theChad...

Just surfing the site and found your post....I realize it is from a long time ago...

I used to live in the "high Desert" below Big Bear and Holcomb Valley....I'm very familiar with the area and its history....

Way back in the valley, you'll find a reasonably large tailing pile and the entrance to a tunnel going into the west side of the valley wall... just north of that mine..on the right in a group of pine trees are some old rock foundations of miners cabins from long ago... I found a 1 1/4 ounce nugget in one of those foundations....using a detector... I believe I was using a Whites detector...this was in around 1986 or 87....somewhere about that time period..... That is a very interesting place to visit and prospect...

If you know where Baldwin Lake?Huh?  There is a once-upon-a-time rich operating gold mine there operated by lucky Baldwin and rather large community sprang up to operate 2 or 3 gold mines near there.... The city was called Baldwin City.... and in 1904 came 2 votes short of becoming the county seat for all of San Bernardino county.... In 1906..it was wiped out by a Cholera epidemic.... Below the mine on the flat above the Lake... you'll see the only thing left of the city..the community well site...to the south of that well and up in the brush you'll find the many, many, many, many graves of the towns people who died in the outbreak... I have never detected this place..but always thought it might hold promise.....a friend of mine did find a 10 dollar gold piece walking around ...of course going back to his car... in Holcomb Valley...

Good luck,

Klondike  Ike

Hey everyone...

I made a mistake... The Baldwin City grave sites are on the NORTH side of the city area.... hidden in the brush...almost all of them are simply piles of stones on top of the ground....most are unmarked... kind of like you'll see in most Hollywood Western Movies...concerning  a grave episode part in a movie.....

many of the grave sites are very small ..obvious for children.....  I can't remember how many... but there maybe upwards of a couple hundred scattered all around the hillside... mostly out of view and covered up by lots of brush...
ode
If you go there to detect the area... you may also want to hit the tailing piles of the gold mines above the old city site...to the west... you can't miss them...check for gold in the rocks of the tailing piles....Lucky Baldwin recovered about $10 million in about 20 years operation...near the turn of the 19th century.....

Good luck to everyone who may visit Baldwin City....

Kondike  Ike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8197.msg75146.html#msg75146

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 04:25:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like a place to add to the file of possibles (I think some of my trips take me near enough to make that a worthwhile side trip)   And thanks for the labor saving tip

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8197.msg75565.html#msg75565

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: