[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline mtldtctng4evrTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

spectra V3, XLT,6000DI
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:46:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

if you are a metal tecting kind of guy, and do prospecting too, please share info with me, on where and what state would I have the most luck in finding gold nuggets. Thxs

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11620.msg74744.html#msg74744

Offline andy2sleepy
if you're gonna trip anyways, you might as well do it over a 20 pound nugget
Copper Member

if you're gonna trip anyways, you might as well do it over a 20 pound nugget
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

2 1/2" keene dredge,  keene a 52 sluice, truck load of 5 gal buckets, and a rusty shovel
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 12:26:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i dont detect anymore, but i'd say that alaska would top the list followed by nevada arizona, new mexico, california..  most of the western states have lots of documented nuggets, but i'd say those are the most likely..  just my opinion though.  may not be entirely accurate, and others may disagree with me.  here in east tn there was a 1/4 oz nugget found recently and it was a big deal because we dont find that many.  usually 1/8th oz is a whopper around here.  hope this helps.  happy hunting!
                                                                                                    andy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11620.msg74862.html#msg74862

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:23:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello mtldtctng4evr,

I have limited use of metal detectors.. only use them to scan the bed rock after cleaning all the river gravel off since a lot of gold and especially small to medium nuggets will hide in the bedrock cracks down to 2 or 3 feet in some cases.... As well as I use a detector to scan our tailings to insure we are not loosing gold going out of the processing plant and not into our pans... Other than that I do not usually detect for nuggets.... but from practical experience of 30 plus years of mining, with several years as a commercial miner... certain parts of most of the western states have areas known for big gold.... I have personally found one at 2 1/2 pounds many years ago and a couple at a pound and many 2 to 5 ouncer's over the years... but all in the western states and in Alaska.... Montana also has some big gold there too...there is a small bank in western Montana had a 27 ounce nugget on display from a mine near by...

Good luck in your prospecting and detecting....

Klondike Ike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11620.msg74877.html#msg74877

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 01:52:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by mtldtctng4evr
if you are a metal tecting kind of guy, and do prospecting too, please share info with me, on where and what state would I have the most luck in finding gold nuggets. Thxs

Western Australia.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11620.msg75062.html#msg75062

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 04:01:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Please go to my website....

Please Register or Login

www.patriotgooldenterprises.com
   You'll see we do more than just prospector and metal detect ...

We are commercial miners and use the detectors just for making sure we are not leaving any gold behind....

Best states are...All the states West of the Rocky Mountains.... In California, very large nuggets found in the Downieville mining district of the Tahoe National Forest... especially in old hanging river channels..the ones that run north and south.... south of the Feather river.... in the high country..and both sides of the north fork of the Yuba... again in the high country..over 6,000 feet.... These old channels were once valley floors...before there were any volcanoes in the area...these are called PRIMARY rivers.....and usually have very large nuggets....Once the lava from the volcanoes came in...it forced the water into a different route...and these rivers are the 1ST SECONDARY river...(which has a lot of volcanic ash in them as well..this ash is not present in the Primaries)...and if lava stops that one up as well, then you'll have a 2ND SECONDARY..or a 3RD SECONDARY and so on...  I have mined on as many as 1 primary and 7 secondaries of the same river system.... HOWEVER..USUALLY ONLY THE PRIMARY AND 1ST SECONDARY HAVE THE LARGER GOLD... these old channels were protected by the hard lava...and the softer surrounding host rocks eroded away and the uplifts came...and so once was a river in a valley floor ..is now a river channel capped by a lava flow high on a mountain top ridge... my best mining in California was done on the Craycroft channel....at an elevation of about 7,000 ft...just north of Downieville...the next ridge over was the Feather River drainage...I was on the North fork of the Yuba River drainage side...

What made many of the present day rivers of California so rich..is that they now run east to west..cutting through all these north to south rich rivers.... In the Sierra County area...highway 49 from Indian camp ground to Sierra city a distance of 24 miles...there are 38 river channels of various sizes cut by the present day North fork of the Yuba river and present highway...(The Downie river..once called the North fork of the north fork of the Yuba is a remnant of the old north south river channels) Old Major Downie on his THIRD trip up the Yuba (in 1855 or maybe 1887..and Downieville is his name sake) was saddened because the area was already worked out...and he determined this because he could no longer spread the sand and cobbles around with his boot on the larger sand bars and NOT see gold any more........

You'll have to do some research as to property ownership...claim boundaries and national forest....very little state land in the mountains of California...

In Alaska, many of the rivers between McGrath and None have large nuggets...as well as many areas north of the Arctic Circle in the Brooks Range...much of that land is set aside.... On our property north of the circle... our neighbors found a 13.7 ounce nugget 2 years ago...and many in the 1 to 5 ounce area...

Again do your research for property ownership and boundaries....

Good Luck in your quest for prospecting areas with large gold......

Please remember, you are not the only one seeking these types of areas..they are hard to find with out paper of some sort on them...

Klondike Ike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11620.msg75089.html#msg75089

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

hands of gold.jpg

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

spectra V3, XLT,6000DI
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:45:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thxs for the info, I will look into that

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11620.msg75175.html#msg75175

Offline edjcox
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

745.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Safari
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 02:30:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Do some research into hydraulic mining in northern california along oregon border vicinity. Lot' of Gold found there and bound to e some left in the channels and sandbars....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11620.msg75224.html#msg75224

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

spectra V3, XLT,6000DI
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 04:17:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

thxs for the info gonna go to my brother's place in nevada and try my luck there before I go anywhere else.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11620.msg75234.html#msg75234

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 05:26:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Only problem with Nevada, is you might have that nasty silver clogging up your pan and sluice....just like they did in the Comstock days  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11620.msg76079.html#msg76079

Offline Kallurivaanil
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold