[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Mac
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 09:22:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Take a look at this video....

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAulZdFW3x8#noexternalembed

With money being in short supply, take a look around youtube and you'll find a few videos with info on where you can get magnets for next to nothing, and how to make a device to hold the mags and release the black sands when you want to release them.  The pans/trays can usually be had for less than $5 at your locale Dollar store.  Just a few pieces of cheap tupperware kinda bowls.

It takes a little time, but I've done it while sitting in front of the TV.

One last thing, if you get into it (prospecting that is), then save those black sands in something.  One of these days you'll end up with a blue bowl, or you'll know someone who has one.  When I run my black sands thru the blue bowl and look into the bottom of the bowl, I see nothing.  Then in the semi dark, I shined a small flashlight into the bowl, and I'll be damned, there was all kinds of very small gold in the bottom of the bowl.  Made me smile big the first time, muhahahah.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26985.msg191974.html#msg191974

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:51:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

In El Paso there was a place you could sell 4o lb buckets of black sands for 7 or 8 bucks.   They processed it for Rare Earths.

Being 100 miles from there I would wait until I had 20 or 30 buckets and something else to do over there.

It paid the gas, Food and a bit of beer.

DO NOT THROW IT AWAY!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26985.msg191976.html#msg191976

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:03:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

One last thing, if you get into it (prospecting that is), then save those black sands in something.  One of these days you'll end up with a blue bowl, or you'll know someone who has one.  When I run my black sands thru the blue bowl and look into the bottom of the bowl, I see nothing.  Then in the semi dark, I shined a small flashlight into the bowl, and I'll be damned, there was all kinds of very small gold in the bottom of the bowl.  Made me smile big the first time, muhahahah.

I havent prospected yet, but Ive been soaking up all I can from ya'll to learn how. One of my other hobbies is breeding and raising Koi and goldfish (owned a fish farm for years) and when showing fish, most everyone uses a Blue container. Something about that color allows you to see other colors a little better. I'll be looking for a blue plastic pan when I start panning  Rider just wanted to share that info, I'll stfu and learn some more from you pros now lol.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26985.msg191977.html#msg191977

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Offline dfxwalt
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 08:43:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hello good color, I would buy a blue bowl and work all your black sand do not throw it out untill you do, are you classifying ? if not you should be get a #4 = 1/4 inch  #8  #12 #20 and  #30   just use  the 1/4 inch in the feild to classifey it will save time and get the ones that fit over a 5 gal bucket  next you will need a bucket for each # above , once you get all your black sand from youe pan keep it take it home and  work it throw the # 8 and # 12 check all thats left on top of your classifer for gold  use your garden hose and sprayer
work it like your pan  and ck the # 12 do it so it will not over fill it,  mark all your buckets  by the # 8 , 12 ,20 .30  do not cross mix any
if you would rather just use one classifer for each bucket 1/4 and so on  but dont mix them eash class will show some gold  but most of the gold will be in the last bucket # 30  flour gold, once you have done that  now get your blue bowl and set it up  ck out the 49ers web page  i will look up a link that will help you out  have fun and good luck
Walt

Posted on: August 22, 2011, 08:28:59 PM
Quote:Posted by dfxwalt
hello good color, I would buy a blue bowl and work all your black sand do not throw it out untill you do, are you classifying ? if not you should be get a #4 = 1/4 inch  #8  #12 #20 and  #30   just use  the 1/4 inch in the feild to classifey it will save time and get the ones that fit over a 5 gal bucket  next you will need a bucket for each # above , once you get all your black sand from youe pan keep it take it home and  work it throw the # 8 and # 12 check all thats left on top of your classifer for gold  use your garden hose and sprayer
work it like your pan  and ck the # 12 do it so it will not over fill it,  mark all your buckets  by the # 8 , 12 ,20 .30  do not cross mix any
if you would rather just use one classifer for each bucket 1/4 and so on  but dont mix them eash class will show some gold  but most of the gold will be in the last bucket # 30  flour gold, once you have done that  now get your blue bowl and set it up  ck out the 49ers web page  i will look up a link that will help you out  have fun and good luck
Walt

Please Register or Login

http://www.prospectingchannel.com/indexProgram.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26985.msg192057.html#msg192057

Offline SgtBensonTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 11:03:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you all for all of the information. I have gotten almost all the black sand seperated. I have been saving all of my sands in hopes of someday getting a blue bowl or borrowing one to seperate the fine stuff. There have been some great comments on here, you pros have been very helpful. So thank you all very much.
If anyone is ever in Southern Idaho hit me up we now have 2 very good spots on the river that have been producing good amounts of flakes and lots of flour gold. One of the spots is an old chinese mine claim that has remnants of an old building. The spot acts like a catch basin for everything moving downstream. always fun to find color in the sluice and the pan! Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26985.msg192092.html#msg192092

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 01:06:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

On the magnet thing if you have old computer hard drives laying around they are a great source of rare earth magnets usually about 1 to 2 inches in size. These are powerful enough that you can place them on the bottom of your pan to hold the black sand, and wash the rest into another pan.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26985.msg192098.html#msg192098

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 03:06:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by SgtBenson
Thank you all for all of the information. I have gotten almost all the black sand seperated. I have been saving all of my sands in hopes of someday getting a blue bowl or borrowing one to seperate the fine stuff. There have been some great comments on here, you pros have been very helpful. So thank you all very much.
If anyone is ever in Southern Idaho hit me up we now have 2 very good spots on the river that have been producing good amounts of flakes and lots of flour gold. One of the spots is an old chinese mine claim that has remnants of an old building. The spot acts like a catch basin for everything moving downstream. always fun to find color in the sluice and the pan! Grin

I'm almost all packed up, how many weeks can I camp there?   Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26985.msg192107.html#msg192107

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Offline treasureseaker
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory
treasureseaker
WWW Awards

MinelabGPX5000,MinelabX-TERRA 705,Minelab EXCALUBER11
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 05:19:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi you can also use a microwave and a microwave kiln to extract the gold from the black sand.
treasureseaker Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26985.msg192117.html#msg192117

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: