[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline WaulespanTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

665.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« on: February 14, 2015, 06:30:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In Wales at least, the Countryside and Rights of Way Act made most Crown Estate land open to the public for open air recreation. The authorities have recently admitted to me that goldpanning is a lawful recreation. Also admitted is that moving rocks and gravel is not a crime, and that 'Erosion is Important' for the eco-health of rivers.
I was recently challenged yet again by the local forestry manager and his erstwhile minion when I was panning on a trickle of a stream in North Wales. He had seen my campervan parked in a layby and took several hours out of his valuable time to track me down. This guy has been trying to put me off my stride for the past three years, and I always greet him with a 'Hello Aled' a wide smile and a proffered hand to shake. Best policy as he always seems to be expecting or hoping for a confrontation. There wasn't a tree or sapling in sight! This wasn't forestry business, just another example of attempted harassment. I was just sampling, nothing serious, and in the event I was just ruling out another tributary. The sudden hailstorm had been somewhat spectacular, it having been sunny and wind free in the past four hours of the treck, but I was well wrapped up. Poor Aled and his buddy weren't and they looked rather blue. Aled's voice shivered out that I was trespassing and that I could be disturbing salmon eggs. Not being bothered to explain my rights yet again I responded, 'What you going to do about it?' He said he was going to give his photographs of me to the wildlife protection team. Ok I said, stop pulling my leg, salmon can't swim up here, there is a waterfall at least 100 metres high just downstream. Then, in a moment of inspiration I said, hey Aled, this stream is stuffed with nuggets and I think I might have found the source. Aled guessed that I was pulling his leg, but he wasn't quite sure, so he asked me to show him what I had found. Are you kidding I said, all of the big nuggets are in my bank deposit box already. But you are welcome to dig around here for some more old chap. I went back to my van, boiled three kettles for tea, coffee and soup, and Aled and his mate didn't return until twilight. They didn't speak to me.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59722.msg291739.html#msg291739

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 35.0
Firefox 35.0

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 06:54:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like a Cat and Mouse Game.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59722.msg291740.html#msg291740

Offline au fever
Mod
Silver Member

Thank you84

Activity
0%

Australia

3950.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.2
Windows NT 6.2
MS Internet Explorer 10.0
MS Internet Explorer 10.0

Awards

whites MXT Pro , minelab GPX 4000
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 09:32:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like another official way out of his depth and doing his own interpretation on rules , You did the right thing being cordial and entertaining him with friendly banter , but it gets tiresome when you Know your rights and these bozo's don't let up and seem determined to mess up your day , good luck sampling ..cheers Mick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59722.msg291744.html#msg291744

Offline johnboydetecting
Silver Member

Mood:Mischievous
Mischievous

it can't stay buried forever
Thank you75

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

3351.00 Gold
View Inventory
Linux
Linux
Chrome 26.0.1410.58
Chrome 26.0.1410.58

Awards

cobra beach magnet            minlab gofind 60                       cscope cs5mx.                    fisher 1225 mx.                   garratt 100
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 03:47:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Next time offer him a cut of what u find then give him a Tin of caver

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59722.msg291791.html#msg291791

EAT SLEEP DETECT REPEAT

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:14:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Folks. They may have been looking all over for massive excavations to pin on me. However, I have heard tales of massive nuggets being found by farmers in this part of North Wales in the not too distant past, so I probably wouldn't have seemed entirely misguided. There is definitely a sense of jealousy that I might be onto something both potentially rewarding and fun, while they have to chop down and plant boring pine trees all day long. I now have so many streams to cover I will have to concentrate one or two this year. One site is a deep pond below a waterfall, on a private and secluded stretch of river. The farmer has given me free access in total trust, and I will repay him in kind. Could be getting into quite an engineering adventure, possibly a steep learning curve and a bit beyond one guy. Anyone fancy a dive?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59722.msg291795.html#msg291795

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 05:28:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Waulespan
Thanks Folks. They may have been looking all over for massive excavations to pin on me. However, I have heard tales of massive nuggets being found by farmers in this part of North Wales in the not too distant past, so I probably wouldn't have seemed entirely misguided. There is definitely a sense of jealousy that I might be onto something both potentially rewarding and fun, while they have to chop down and plant boring pine trees all day long. I now have so many streams to cover I will have to concentrate one or two this year. One site is a deep pond below a waterfall, on a private and secluded stretch of river. The farmer has given me free access in total trust, and I will repay him in kind. Could be getting into quite an engineering adventure, possibly a steep learning curve and a bit beyond one guy. Anyone fancy a dive?

G'day Brian, I am get My gold Machines sorted out and In the process of sorting out A Camper of some sort So I will be in Touch as soon as I have got it all together,

RR

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59722.msg291797.html#msg291797

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 05:36:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Even'n Ridge and nice to hear you are getting back on track to adventure. I spent last summer de-rusting, welding and rebuilding the floor of my campervan. Now it is well insulated, very cosy and draughtproof. Hopefully the midges won't get in either. If next week is mild enough I may get a sluice in a stream. I had one mild day in January, then the snow and wind persuaded me to retreat a while.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59722.msg291799.html#msg291799

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 05:48:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Waulespan
Even'n Ridge and nice to hear you are getting back on track to adventure. I spent last summer de-rusting, welding and rebuilding the floor of my campervan. Now it is well insulated, very cosy and draughtproof. Hopefully the midges won't get in either. If next week is mild enough I may get a sluice in a stream. I had one mild day in January, then the snow and wind persuaded me to retreat a while.

Well It could of been worse Brian, You could of had Holes in the Roof   Shocked
Wish I had of known I had my own Panel and Spray Shop In OZ, More hands Make Light work, I thought about a Caravan but That creates another problem in finding a place to store it when it is not in use, So I am looking for something small But Comfortable, I did find a Bedford CF 5 Birth but it needed a bit too much work on it, Also I did think about a Jeep Cherokee with A roof top tent but they are too cold even more so in winter, But I have bought solar panels and Inverters and I have found a great Place for big Batteries, Now I just need to find the Camper,

RR

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59722.msg291802.html#msg291802

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:50:19 pm by Ridge Runner »
Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: