[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Fools Gold
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

420.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Lobo VLF, Tesoro Lobo ST, Tesoro Sidewinder
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 10:50:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

try this site

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/design_plans/DIY_dredge/Homemade_dredge.htm

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12786.msg88687.html#msg88687

Offline Rick104
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

286.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TDI,Fisher Gold$trike and Coin$trike, Garrett GTI 2500,Minelab Eureka Gold, Pioneer 505
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 06:13:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have found a few coins when I was high banking but it would not be worth building a dredge over...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12786.msg92134.html#msg92134

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 07:11:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was having a discussion with a buddy of mine from upper NY state a few days ago, and he was lamenting the fact that snow season was over, and he was going to have to park his snowmobile for the summer.  He sent me a couple of videos of his spring snowmowbilling where he was flying across ice on a lake, hit spots where the ice was melted for hundreds of yards and just flew across open water as if he was on a jet ski.

It got me to thinking... if you anchored the front of that thing and weighted the back of it...  figured a way to channel the debris it kicked up into a sluice, a snowmobile could make a fine dredge in the shallow streams like I play in around here.  In 4 to 6 inches of water, you probably wouldn't have to even anchor it much, but it would chew the bottom of the creek bed up like nobody's business.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12786.msg92143.html#msg92143

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:14:12 pm by bigwater »

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 08:34:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bigwater
I was having a discussion with a buddy of mine from upper NY state a few days ago, and he was lamenting the fact that snow season was over, and he was going to have to park his snowmobile for the summer.  He sent me a couple of videos of his spring snowmowbilling where he was flying across ice on a lake, hit spots where the ice was melted for hundreds of yards and just flew across open water as if he was on a jet ski.

It got me to thinking... if you anchored the front of that thing and weighted the back of it...  figured a way to channel the debris it kicked up into a sluice, a snowmobile could make a fine dredge in the shallow streams like I play in around here.  In 4 to 6 inches of water, you probably wouldn't have to even anchor it much, but it would chew the bottom of the creek bed up like nobody's business.

wouldn't the enviro-whackos just love that

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12786.msg92158.html#msg92158

Offline DANIEL G
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab sovereign gt/2-fisher 1280x/whites,compus/garrett,and 5 others
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 11:05:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes I might able to help you.I am the Inventer of the Deep Diver hand held long and short handle scoop.This equip is used in old lake resorts with a MUD BOTTOM.I live in Washington State and we have lots of lakes with Resorts with a mud bottom.I have done very
well with my units.Thousands of coins silver and clad,and hundreds of rings.I do not sell plans to make this equip I build on a special order
only.send me your E_MAIL and I will try to send you some pictures of this equip,and also some pictures of some of the finds I found.In one of the resorts I have been going to I found over 100 rel metals, over 90,000 coins.this is no joke,this place was a bonanza.After over 25 years I am still hunting this lake.Good luck and we will talk soon.             Daniel G   dgoch10@yahoo.com

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12786.msg92165.html#msg92165

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 10:48:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Treasuremomo,

I have read all of these posts and nobody has actually given you any real information. Here are the facts: dredgers are constantly pulling coins, nails, trash metal out of the dredge during clean-up. Dredges, sluices, high bankers, etc. etc. work off of specific gravity which has little to do with actual weight but a combination of weight and volume which is referred to as density. The more dense materials (metal, garnets, gold, platinum) get stuck under the riffles as the less dense materials get washed out. You can build your own dredge it is relatively complex in terms of optimal recovery. However, if you want a dredge for cheap, you can piece one together. I put my 2" dredge together for $300 and once I get a brand new set of pontoons, I will be out about $550. The cost of this dredge new is in the $1200 range. Go to craiglook.com and search "dredge" you will be surprised. Now, to optimize this dredge for optimal coin racovery, I would lengthen the existing sluice with another sluice box. This is what they do for diamond recovery. The longer the box, the more time the less dense and fines have to settle out. Doing this will also increase the fines that you are finding, which is your bread and butter.

Good Luck

Sean
Daniel,

Your product is interesting. Post some pictures here for all to see... who knows could be good for business.

Thanks

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12786.msg92326.html#msg92326

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline Rick104
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

286.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TDI,Fisher Gold$trike and Coin$trike, Garrett GTI 2500,Minelab Eureka Gold, Pioneer 505
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 03:38:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Shocked This is an extremely bad idea!! And a very good way to cause someone to be injured!! A dredge and small hand held pick works great in a creek bed and it is much safer!! Wise
 Hello In WA state you do not have to apply for a dredge permit, for any dredge 5 inches and under you just have to carry the gold and fish phamplet with you to the dredge site, a free publication at any wa st fish and game office or you can download it online for free..And there is still sh8 loads of gold here in the northwest and alot of it is open to the puplic, I just went yesterday and did some sampling for the dredge that I am building, found a few pieces in no time... Columbia river season does not start until july 16 and runs through feb 26,and you can run a 3 sq foot high banker with a electric 12 volt  bildge pump mine is 3700 gph any where in WA all year round!! Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12786.msg93212.html#msg93212

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 08:43:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Why is it such a bad idea? No different than dredging for gold. Keene actually makes a dredge for coins and relics. BTW I do know the laws in Washington, and I am stoked to go play in the mud now that salmon season is over!  Grin

Peace

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12786.msg93542.html#msg93542

Offline Rick104
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

286.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 11:32:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Detecting I was repling to the guy that wanted to use a a snowmobile to dig up the bottom of a creek bed!! that was a very bad idea! you can run your highbanker year around here in WA if you use an electric pump and the area of the highbanker is 3 square feet or less. Funny

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12786.msg93594.html#msg93594

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 05:40:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

yeah, that snowmobile idea isn't panning out in my head.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12786.msg93668.html#msg93668

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: