[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline andy2sleepyTopic starter
if you're gonna trip anyways, you might as well do it over a 20 pound nugget
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

2 1/2" keene dredge,  keene a 52 sluice, truck load of 5 gal buckets, and a rusty shovel
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:41:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

this may be a long shot, but i was wondering if anyone has done any dredging in rivers under TVA control.  i've been trying to find out from them if they issue permits for such things, but so far i've been playing phone tag with them for a couple weeks.  i do know for a fact that they issue detecting permits for areas like boat launches and other recreational areas, and that they have steep fines if they catch someone without a permit.
 what i had in mind with dredging in the river was kinda sneaky i guess you could say... i live about 500 ft from the tn river, there are two golf courses approximately 1 mile away from me, one north and one south.  i was wanting to dredge around the banks on the edges of the courses to recover lost golf balls to resell. i havent mentioned to them that all the islands nearby are posted "no digging" because of indian relics.. and if i should happen across arrowheads, spearpoints, or pottery i would throw it right back in because it wouldnt be right to keep it, lol.   there are lots of artifacts around here for sure. i have a friend who usually gets caught and fined a couple times each yr because he cant stop looking for them.  the last time he got caught was in november he had about 20 nice arrow heads on him and was fined 100 dollars each and they were confiscated.   so again, just for the record, i'm only looking for golf balls.  if anyone has any info, i would appreciate it.
                                                                                                    andy

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11406.msg73243.html#msg73243

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:01:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Determination of whether waterways are "private" where they pass through private land or whether they fall under government control, even if the waterway divides a single owner's piece of property, is all determined by the government's determination of "navigability" of the waterway.  Creeks, streams and small rivers usually don't pass the navigability test.  If you can't get a commercial vessel down it, then the portion of the waterway passing through an owners land is considered part of the private property of the owner, and you can do whatever the owner of the land will let you do on it. 

To my knowledge, most every square inch of the Tennessee River is classified as navigatable waterway, so you'll be hard pressed to get any permission to do anything in it.  There are a few little offshoot streams that I know of that peel off of the Tennessee and then merge back into the river downstream that don't pass the navigability sniff test, two south of Chatanooga TN, and three south of the Wilsom Dam down in the Muscle Shoals area of Alabama, but for the most part, the Tennessee will be off limits for any sort of dredging. 

Other rivers like the Ocoee which are under TVA control don't pass the navigability sniff test, however the TVA has bought up, or assumed via eminent domain,  all the land immediately around, and including the river, so since you'd need permission of the owner, you'd be hard pressed to get permission to dredge there.  We snorkle in the deep holes on the Ocoee all the time after the water gets turned off, looking for lost jewelry and the like from rafting customers, and never get harrassed by the rangers, but I imagine if I broke out a dredge it would raise some eyebrows.

If you believe in a risky lifestyle and don't mind getting caught and fined, or if you can make friends with the local rangers so they'll look the other way, then go for it.

It's easy to make friends with Rangers by the way... They're people just like we are Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11406.msg73270.html#msg73270

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:31:29 pm by bigwater »

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:23:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Under the Laws of the land, Surface finds are keepers.

Digging is a issue!

BLM lands here in New Mexico can get you 10 years.

On Indian lands you can be shot.  (They Would not do that and would rather Take every cent you have)

Have a Good Hunt!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11406.msg73272.html#msg73272

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

2 1/2" keene dredge,  keene a 52 sluice, truck load of 5 gal buckets, and a rusty shovel
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:35:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks for the info.   i'm still playing phone tag with TVA.  i'm about to start dredging in a creek that empties into the tn river a few miles from my house.  it definately has gold in it.  not a lot, but i sluiced a couple different areas of it back in the fall,  so now i want to dredge it down to bedrock. i think the best spot will be right where it empties... there is a rock bluff with quartz streaks showing about 200 feet from the end.  empties into a sandbar over bedrock about 3 ft down...  i've got my fingers crossed....,   i dont want to get into a issue with "the man" over it though... take care folks.. good luck and happy hunting!!

andy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11406.msg74192.html#msg74192

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 04:05:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like you've got a quartz dam on your hands there.  That could be stuffed full of gold and leaching very little into the creek itself.  What's the lay of the one side of the creek like right there?  If you've got tubes of quartz lining an uphill side of the creek, I'd be much more curious in the bank than the creek bed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11406.msg74211.html#msg74211

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:13:23 pm by bigwater »

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

170.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:15:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

its pretty steep on the bluff side of the creek, almost straight up.  around 50 ft high i would guess, then on the other side it is fairly level.  most of the quartz streaks ar below the high water mark (approx 8 ft)..  i'd really like to do some sledge hammering on the face of the bluff, but to be honest it scares the crap out of me..  lots of loose rocks around basketball size just hanging by luck.  i have knocked out a little here and there but no pay streaks yet.  good color in the stream though.  i'm still playing phone tag with TVA by the way, lol.   thanks for the advice... happy hunting!!

andy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11406.msg75430.html#msg75430

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 11:25:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well loose rocks can be just as dangerous when you're panning in the stream as they can be if you're pounding them out of the face with a pick.  Rocks just fall naturally, and it's unexpected.  To manage this safely, come down from the top of the cliff with a secured static line using a locking rappelling/belay device like a Petzl Grigri and gently pick the lose stuff out at or below waist level till you get to where you want to investigate a little more agressively.  Wear a helmet, all the appropriate safety gear, and take your time.  Get all the loose stuff out of the top before you start poking around the middle.  You don't want that stuff falling on you.  Of course if you aren't familiar with safe high rope techniques, you'll want to enlist somebody knowledgable in rock climbing and rappelling to help you so you don't kill yourself just sliding down the cliff.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11406.msg75443.html#msg75443

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:31:59 pm by bigwater »

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: