[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline WaulespanTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:26:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Since early 2012 I've been prospecting extensively in the English counties which border Wales. In most streams I'd found with the official map from the 1980s the amounts were no more than a few hundredths of a gram for a few days work. In each case I suspect that the native rock, generally widespread, contains small specks, but sometimes larger but very thin flakes of gold. these look more impressive than their weight. Small visible gold in minor amounts will obviously crush up quickly to 'invisible' gold in even small streams. It may collect in the usual places, but it won't be easily panned, or detected in rock, and the amounts of rock you would need to crush wouldn't payback the effort.
However, many collectors would be very content to be able to have the guaranteed satisfaction of panning just a few specks of very, very rare English gold on permitted sites. Gold river owners can have very mixed attitudes. Most are initially sceptical, until they see the official map, though, to avoid disappointment I always explain that the amounts involved are probably academic at best.
There are more promising streams in Devon, where currently access is denied. To gain access to such precious locations there have been attempts to set up exclusive gold clubs, promising so called responsible methods. Such methods usually involve the dubious promise of only moving very small amounts of gravels to get at bedrock cracks, which will never involve damaging any bedrock. Totally unrealistic of course. Some owners are a bit paranoid about changing anything, others are constantly changing their working environment with drainage channels, water extraction etc. so they aren' worried about a few tonnes of river gravels. So, if you are going to need to dig deep, as has been the requirement in traditional panning all around the world for hundreds of years, it is best to be honest with landowners. Gold doesn't usually lie about near the surface anywhere these days. Some owners will be much more supportive than others. Two of my farmers, who have gravel extraction licences, are happy to bring a JCB along to the party now and then. No harm is done to the ecosystem, because in small ways we are unclogging rivers for easier passage of breeding fish. The EA does exactly the same on many UK rivers. What has really damaged amateur river prospecting in the UK is a few misinformed planners siding with the misinformed authorities, pretending that they never dig deep, and exaggerating what other do. The result is that I am the only openly practising planner in England, Scotland or Wales (I don't pan in Scotland). If there is anyone else out there who isn't hiding what they a really doing from the authorities, please join in my campaign for traditional panning in all of its glories. So, I have no fear or hesitation in inviting anyone of good nature and honesty in joining in one of my English river digs next year. I also have several new Welsh rivers in mind, but I need a few weeks of good Spring or Summer weather to test the waters, and get owners on our side first.
Hopefully I can patiently build up a number of welcoming sites in the next few years, with facilities and agreements. The first should be under development in 2013, with a large EU grant, although this was already secured for a general outdoor pursuit centre conversion of an old farmhouse. But panning will be one of the activities on offer, if all goes to plan.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38498.msg237112.html#msg237112

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:36:14 pm by Waulespan »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:37:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like your on the move. Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38498.msg237115.html#msg237115

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 06:28:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Homefire
Are you getting any blue sky adventures?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38498.msg237138.html#msg237138

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 09:17:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

No, Nothing going on here at the time.

Trying to get cold and windy.

Van is dead dead now and needing a new one after the IRS gives some back.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38498.msg237149.html#msg237149

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:27:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ah, the old van is always a tease here too. Just took two weeks rooting around for new indicator connectors. Always feels like a miracle when it gets going again. But my mechanic assures me that old. Transits are best as he keeps getting new ones in with nasty computer gremlins. Hope you get your old girl back on the road before too long.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38498.msg237151.html#msg237151

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: