[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
69%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:04:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by mattsmulligan
OK...  I joined the GPAA.  I guess I just have to hang out and wait for the claim book to come before I can do any research or visit any of their claims.  Hopefully they have something that isn't too far away.

Are these claims usually packed with people?

The good news is:   a) it doesn't usually take long for the claim guide to arrive
and
b)   unless they are having a "common dig" the day you are out there, the claims aren't nearly as packed as you imagine (in fact I expect that you'll be pleasantly surprised)

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26710.msg188207.html#msg188207

Offline mattsmulliganTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 01:15:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I look forward to checking them out.  I hope its a good experience and the have good ground.  I'm thinking there is a reason these guys who know what they are doing are picking these areas...   Then again...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26710.msg188208.html#msg188208

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 01:59:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Some final thoughts for you. When buying a claim, it's the opposite of buying a car. Most people advise you to never buy a car from family or friends. With good reason. No matter how nice the car is, the first time something goes wrong, your brain begins to wonder if they sold you a lemon. With a gold claim, you absolutely must know and trust the owner before you even consider it.

When Interstate 40 went in back in the 1960s, a friends claim no longer had access via state roads. He had to exit the Interstate between normal exits and was cited by highway patrol on a number of occasions. That claim might pay now over the cost of the tickets but when gold was $35 an ounce, it was just too expensive to pay the "toll" imposed.

Claim land access, other mineral rights, land ownership and many other questions must be researched before you buy a claim. It's not only about the assay reports (which can be faked, wrong or from a very rich but singular sample). When you buy from a friend or family member, you can discuss all issues in a leisurely fashion and make an informed decision.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26710.msg188218.html#msg188218

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:01:51 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 02:16:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Being that I don't know one person that is into Prospecting or Detecting I guess I better start making some friends...

Anyone want to be friends?

haha

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26710.msg188222.html#msg188222

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 01:37:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you get out there and start, you'll make a few along the way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26710.msg188324.html#msg188324

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Mac
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 09:47:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gotta tell ya, I was in Cali BLM in Sacto a few weeks ago checking on claims, got to talking with the girl and guy behind the counter where you pay.  They both like to faint when I mentioned buying a claim.  They say that here in Cali, there is so much fraud that at times, it's near impossible to determine who has a claim and who doesn't.

September is getting close, and fees are due.  During this time, they are a few days to a few weeks behind in posting who has paid and who hasn't (they usually post the following day after fees are paid), but now is the time to start looking around.  Here in Cali, there are alot of claims that will NOT be paid for as folks were looking forward to dredging, and now that aint gonna happen.  In talking to people at the BLM (they were surprisingly helpful and friendly) when the ban on dredging went into effect a few years ago, alot of claims went into inactive or available status cause folks wanted to dredge.  They expect a butt load of claims to become available come september.

I would not buy a claim unless, as was said beofre, you were buying from someone you know, who will be more than happy to show you around the claim and show you the GOLD while it's still on the claim.  I would still do all the work of checking everything ut with BLM and the county recorder.

As to clubs, join a few local clubs.  The ones I'm in were free to join, I've meant a number of good guys, and our club owns a few claims, and there are at least a half dozen folks with claims that they are happy to let my work.

Good luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26710.msg191975.html#msg191975

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 10:08:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Look up claims on this site:   Mine Cashe  :   

Please Register or Login

http://www.minecache.com/

Then find the owners in LR2000.   

Please Register or Login

http://www.blm.gov/lr2000/

Finding the name of the owner, contact them and ask for permission to look around.

Your going to be surprised.

A pile of them will just ask you to take photo's to see what has happened on there claim.

Most want to you to just report what was found and were.

Some say Stuff YOU and Keep off.

It never hurts to ask.

I found a 1/4 oz this way and reported it to the owner.

His Response?   Send Photos on your next trip, Thank You!

Some folks have claims that have been in the family for years. and Never had a chance to do any thing.

They Love someone to show them it's still worth hanging on to.

I worked that claim about 10 times, sent photos and it seems I just got lucky and hit a pocket.

The owner was back in Ohio and never did come out.

Checking LR 2000 it has changed names.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26710.msg191980.html#msg191980

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 12:52:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would still like to find someone that has a small commercial operation and work with them for a while.  I think I could learn a lot from them.  Maybe I will have to explore some popular areas and see if I find anyone.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26710.msg192005.html#msg192005

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: