[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 10:59:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Nightjar, that is one truly AWESOME spiral machine......what kind of volume do you generally process through it?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9224.msg59423.html#msg59423

Offline Nightjar
Copper Member

He who never made a mistake never made a discovery
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

746.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Minelab GPX-4500
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 07:54:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Morning BA,
This is a very light work machine, I slowly empty a bucket of fines from my dryblower into the spiral. The carry over then runs through the sluice. Captures even the mustard gold.
The secret to this is the water is recycled with a 12Volt bilge pump, added to the water is a small bottle of dishwasher "Rinse Aid" which removes the skin from the water. Fine gold does not float away.
Another side to this story is, bees and the like cannot land on the water, no skin to support them and they immediately sink.

Cheers
Peter

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9224.msg59580.html#msg59580

Auriferously
Nightjar

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 02:38:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Nightjar
Hi all,
Built myself a goldwheel which is driven by a 12 volt windscreen motor. The sluice extension recirculates the water. The fines from the dryblower are fed into the goldwheel and even the mustard gold is retrieved.
Western Australia creeks in the goldfields very rarely have water in them so we have to resort to methods like this to retrieve our gold.

Great machine, while it is not cupped like a Desert Fox, I see no reason why it should not be great, with or without water!

You have inspired me to build a big wheel, as these can be used for concentrating, also. What I want to be able to do is shovel into a box that wets down the gravel, sends it over a screen and then onto a wheel, like a 3 or 4 foot wheel (90 to 120 cm!)

Such a wheel would lay back more and the heavies would be magnetite, garnets, ilmenite, etc, as well as gold. After so much concentrate accumulates, it would get processed with the smaller wheel.

I think a 4 foot wheel might need a small gas motor, and pump.... it would be heavy. I considered using a hump mold and making it of epoxy resin and fiberglass. But when I have 2 welders, sitting around, and one a wire welder....??

Someone here makes cysterns using 60 inch corrugated culvert and it has a 60 inch lid! That lid would be purrrrfect! Why re-invent the whole wheel when half a wheel will work?

I downloaded your wheel pictures and they will go into my 'slide-show.' Thanks!

The other rig is a mystery without seeing some theory and drawings.

In the Yukon, water is scarce so every miner on a creek, has a system for recycling his water, but they do have water, part of the year, and snow for the rest.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9224.msg59607.html#msg59607

goldigger

Offline Nightjar
Copper Member

He who never made a mistake never made a discovery
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

746.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Minelab GPX-4500
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 04:50:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Morning Goldigger,
All my gold separators are home made, projects I work on through the summer months when it is to hot to be out swinging the detector.
The 4 photos below the goldwheel are of a Dryblower. This method was devised back in the last century to capture gold where the only water available was more valuable than gold.
In later years with the invention of combustion engines, these were fitted.
Basically the gold bearing dirt is shoveled onto the top shaking screen, the fines drop through onto to the riffle box, the oversize spills off onto the ground. The riffle box has a bellows which pumps air through the cloth and moves the dirt down to discharge over the end. The fine gold is trapped behind the riffles. This fine material can then be fed into the gold wheel and the gold retrieved.
This pic is of an old dryblower I found out in the bush. **Note** The tree growing up through the machine.

{alt}

Peter

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9224.msg59697.html#msg59697
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s122/nightjar3/Dryblower005.jpg

« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:53:09 pm by Nightjar »

Auriferously
Nightjar

Offline Idaho JonesTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2009, 05:03:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Those are awsome! Thats what I like about this kind of thread, we all get new ideas!  Smiley

Great stuff! Always wanted to go to the land down under, maybe some day.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9224.msg60188.html#msg60188

Offline countryboy1170
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

135.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 03:28:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks have to try this out

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9224.msg70357.html#msg70357

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 05:14:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been mining and prospecting since 1973.... today most of my income comes from mining.... I usually process several hundred tons a day....and usually have the same problem as any prospector..how to process all the concentrates one accumulates will mining for placer gold...

Many years ago, I built this neat, quick way of processing your cons down to mostly black sand and gold, which is then easily hand panned to separate the gold from the black sands...and finally the remainder of the sands are moved across a table to recover the really small fine gold particles..like down to one micron.....

Take a used or new plastic utility tub with legs...... one like you find in a home utility room next to a washer and dryer..or garage...

Next, drill a 5/8 to 3/4 hole in the side of the tub, about 1 to 2 inches (closer is better) from one side...and about 4 inches up from the bottom of the tub...

Next force fit a barbed hose fitting into the hole...(an elbow works well)...and on the end of the barbed hose fitting, outside the tub... attach a small piece of tubing or hose and a valve to control water flow....

Next attach a 90 degree discharge pipe to the discharge hole in the middle of the tub......  Using a hammer, before you attach the discharge pipe....hammer the open pipe to nearly close..say about 1/2 inch ...this will flare the water and material to start an even flow of the material as it discharges the tub....

Also obtain 2 "Easy Panner" type sluice boxes... these will be laced under the now nearly closed open end of the discharge pipe...shingle one easy panner into the other easy panner...

Attach your water supply to the barbed hose fitting and valve...and adjust the angle of the water as it enters the tub..and the amount of the flow...so you will have a swirling whirlpool going around the bottom of the tub....

Now introduce your 1/4 inch minus screened concentrates into your tub... regulating how much you put in the tub at one time... what action you want is the material.swirling around under a thin sheet of water...around and around in the whirpool... until the lighter material gets washed down the discharge pipe and into the easy panner sluice box.... using your fingers... keep the bulk of the cons toward the outside of the whirlpool and near the tub walls....you'll get a larger build up into the corners,.... that is okay... it will slowly slide off as it builds up into the faster water and be washed out the discharge pipe....

If your gold...more than a few small pieces make toward the bottom of the second easy panner box... you'll need to adjust and play with the amount of material you introduce..the water flow volume and pressure and the slant of the sluice boxes.....

I usually run many several hundred tones of material trough my main recovery and separating plant... and usuall build up, at the end of the day ..or week..depending how often I clean up...400 to 500 pounds worth of concentrates...and with this tub process.. I can process all that material down to nearly all black sand and gold within an hour or so....

After this I pan out the larger gold pieces and run the balance of the black sands across a table to recover the very fine gold, down to near 1 micron.....

The easy panner boxes are just for insurance...,and 90% of the gold will stay in the tub.... I usually clean out the easy panners and hand pan them separately... and the tub, I run into a bucket once I fell most of the light materials have all been washed out of the cons...and Pan this bucket separately too...

I have used this method for a couple of decades.... it is cheap to build... easy to design and easy to use and very effective...

Good luck with your prospecting and processing your cons....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9224.msg70373.html#msg70373

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

hand full of gold 1.jpg
operational plant.jpg

Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 01:00:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats a nice lookin handfull of gold there  Smiley Pretty country where you are set up too.
Thanks for the tip, I happen to have one of those tubs needing a purpose. Think I followed your directions, but if you wouldnt mind posting a pic would be great. Sounds like a nice high volume unit.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9224.msg70472.html#msg70472

Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 10:16:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the comments....

Unfortunately I do not have a picture on this computer....as soon as I get one, I'll post it...probably after the spring...

The commercial plant is in eastern Oregon....the Blue Mountains...

The nuggets are from a commercial mine I had in Northern California Sierra's... above Downieville, CA.....(the northern edge of the "mother load") near the 7,000 foot elevation from an old hanging bench....protected by a lava cap... where the old channel came from  or went to is unknown... just a small piece of the channel left... we mined it out in a couple of years... at one time recovered 60 pounds of gold from about 5,000 tons of bank run gravel... It would be hard to mine this kind of a location today.... but back in the day... we sat down with the minerals officer at the forestry station.. go over our plan of operation and wrote a check for the minimal operational bond...and went to work the next day... unfortunately, those days are gone...

Good luck in your construction and prospecting..,.,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9224.msg70596.html#msg70596

Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 11:55:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ike thanks that would be great. I haven't spent much time in my shop either since the weather got cold hehe.

I used to camp every summer in the Blues above Hilgard near Woodley. Nice country. There is a whole mountainside that was hydraulic mined back in the day thats nothing but big quartz rocks we would search for gemstones and what not.

Thanks for sharing those Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9224.msg70722.html#msg70722

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: