[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline pdog23Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites TDI, Gold Bug 2
« on: June 17, 2010, 01:07:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well, after about 10 or so days out prospecting, panning, highbanking and detecting in NE Oregon and Boise basin My wife and I did not have the skunk follow us around we did get some really cool wire gold from Baker city area and quicky learned that wire gold is a bit of a pain to get out of your pan from the concentrates.. We did get a few pickers and the nices one looked like a fish hook with a barb on it.  We also it the Blues for some metal detecting and in between a few storms we did find a few small nuggets.  Rhe we hit Idaho and again got alot of flower gold from the creeks until the rain hit a week ago and the creek turned into a raging river so we decided to go north to detect for those yellow buggers and found 4 more nuggets so I know have more additions to the family poke.  Attached is a pic of all my nuggets we found. The ones on the top R past nuggets from AZ, CA and WA State. all but one on the bottom we found in Oregon and Idaho...

Rick

sorry all, for some reason the picture wont post, I tried 4 times and my screen goes blank for some reason.  I will try again later

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15670.msg100596.html#msg100596

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:17:15 am by pdog23, Reason: picture wont post »
Offline ImN4gold
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

None of my own - Yet!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:43:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello, Rick and Wife!  I'm Debra.  And new to all this.  What an adventure you posted.  Do y'all live like that all the time?  Do your finds finance your trips?  I've never known anyone who lives such a life.  Wow.  How did you get started?  Debra

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15670.msg100599.html#msg100599

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 01:56:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

nice you got some good finds, i hope to see the wire gold sometime, its not to common  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15670.msg100600.html#msg100600

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites TDI, Gold Bug 2
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 02:50:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Deb, I wish I can figure out why my pic will not post some of the others posted before without a problem, I wish I could figure that out.  You can see a few of the nuggets I found in the past.  To answer a few of your questions I will tell you this. Remember this first Gold is where you find it. I have found this to be true in more then one outing.  As a good rule of thumb always study the lands where you our planning to go in Geo books or on line. Its key to go to places where gold has been found or mined before. Also you want to know the history of the land or earth when formed. most rock and gem stores carry road side geo books on states as well.

Not sure where you live or what type of prospecting you plan on doing but it can be alot of fun, not just finding the gold but getting out and enjoying the wilderness.

As far as some of your other questions lets just say I've been doing this since I retired from the Marine Corps a few years back but when I got
started I got skunked many of times, Yes I was finding small flour gold but wanted the to find the bigger nuggets so I bought a metal detector and went out with a few guys and started learning how to detect.  Well detecting was another learning advanture in its self but what I can tell you is that using the right detector in the right place as far as the soil, rocks ect can make a hugh difference on what you can find, its a big learning cycle.  I found to find the nuggets I had to purchase a good metal detector ( I have 3) Metal detectors can range in cost from 5 grand for the best PI down to 6 hundred for a great VLF machine each has advantages.  And yes its paying off for me.
We try to get out when we can. Living in the NW however makes it a bit hard with all the rain we get up here.  This is why I take off to AZ in the winter months, plus you really dont have to worry about the snakes and stuff.

Well Im writitng a book now, sorry but I hope this helps. Oh by the way my wifes name is debbie as well.

Rick
Happy Hunting!!!

PS you can also learn alot on these forums, there R many out there

GoldNboy, I promise as soon as I figure out what Im doing wrong and why the pic wont post I will get it on here. My wife is better at this then me. I cant type very well eather LOL

Rick

Happy Hunting!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15670.msg100612.html#msg100612

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 03:59:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

You probably need to reduce the size of your photos. I have that problem as well. You are only able to upload 1000 kb per post, which isn't much. Great job on the finds. I think I will hit Blewitt this weekend for a day trip.

Peace

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15670.msg100617.html#msg100617

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites TDI, Gold Bug 2
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 01:19:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sean, hey how R you doing? Thanks for the advise on G, creek we did get some nice flour gold while the creek was down but 2 hard storms caused that creek to raise about 3 feet so we headed to northern ID.  Over all we did really good.  So did you make it out there to G creek. I can tell ya I dont think I ever saw so much dredge tailings in my life. I know theres gold to be found in them as well.  Thanks for your advise and hope you got a few nuggies as well. Good luck up there on blewitt pass this weekend, the weather should be good to ya.  I'm headed to the coast this weekend, maybe some time we can link up and do some prospecting....

Rick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15670.msg100702.html#msg100702

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 08:55:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I haven't made it to G this year but I will soon on my next trip down to Boise. Those dredge tailings are amazing the streams and rivers through that area are loaded with dredge tailing that do in fact hold a lot of gold. The old dredges were very inefficient. What part of N. Idaho did you hit? My last trip was to Eagle Creek near Murray. Anyway, we need to get together and do some mining here locally. I don't think this weekend will work for me, as it seems the closer it gets the more s**t I am finding I need to do!

Peace and Happy Hunting

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15670.msg100773.html#msg100773

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
80%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 11:19:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

sean has correctly identified the number one problem with posting images.....the pictures are two big.   If you don't already have a program that lets you change image size, follow this link

Please Register or Login

http://thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15553.msg100188.html#msg100188

The post will include a zip file attachment, courtesy of GoldDigger1950, that will allow you to quickly and easily resize the images so you can post them.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15670.msg100796.html#msg100796

Offline ImN4gold
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

None of my own - Yet!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 12:20:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Rick (and Debbie!),  It's Debra saying Thanks!  I'm taking your advice on things.  Journaling out what to do to get started right.  I have a borrowed detector - cheap - but I'm looking at what to buy.  No use wasting my time losing finds with a cheap unit.  Still, I'm going to get out and use this one to help figure out how to use one in the first place.  I live by a state park and have a large yard - an old road use to come through it.  It's a good idea to start right where I am.  Not humiliate myself in public, looking like I don't know what I'm doing!!  Blessings to you for the kind, thorough advice and abundant encouragement!  Sounds like getting pictures on here is somewhat of a challenge.  I wish you and Debbie happy adventures, smooth sailing, no unhappy surprises (including skunks!), and much success with many large nugets and such.      Debra

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15670.msg100804.html#msg100804

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 10:12:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all, if there lots of dredge tailings, a bit of reserch into the dredges for the screan size's ... will give some ideas of what size of gold would be dumped into the tailing  piles  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15670.msg100949.html#msg100949

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: