[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline sostahoeTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: February 28, 2010, 05:17:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK now what?  I am looking for resources on how too get the most fun out of a claim I have purchased that has a silver history?  there is gold there as well and the searches offer lots of info on gold recovery, but it seems that recovery of other minerals is not as widely discussed.  Where are some resources on assaying and recovering the "Other" minerals?  I am NOT looking to create a commercial recovery operation, Just want have have fun and learn how to be a weekend / vacation prospector.  I would like to be as productive as I can with what I have to work with and since gold is not the only mineral that was found on the claim, what could I do to make the prospecting process more productive and fun?  I am on a year round water flow and it has not been worked for many years, but had a history from the 1800's to very early 1900's that was documented and just makes the exploration that much more alluring.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11866.msg76552.html#msg76552

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 05:26:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If the water cuts your claim, I would start spot panning (TEST HOLES) for gold.

You did not state whether it was a placer or load claim!

What state is it in?

Almost All silver is found as a sulfide ore.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11866.msg76556.html#msg76556

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:29:05 pm by homefire »
Offline KlondikeIke
Copper Member

I wish every clean up looked like this one
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

465.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

H3Tec,n Fisher Gold Bug II
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 06:04:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey sostahoe,

Welcome to the forum...

I am Klondike  Ike..been playing in the mud seeking gold and silver for nearly 3 decades.... Its rare for silver to be in a placer..usually it is an ore which need to be treated to unlock the silver...buy occasionally, silver does run in veins much like gold and requires the similar recovery methods as you would for any lode mine...crushing and smelting...If it is a placer...then you can use a dredge just like you would for gold...but will need to clean up more often as the silver will accumulate in your recovery box faster than gold...

There is a small equipment company in Arizona, called Global Mining Solutions..... they sell a small but very, very effective separating shaker deck....called the RP-4...it runs about $1,900 plus shipping and it is maybe 2 or 3 feet long..and 18 inches wide and is about 1 foot tall...they also sell a stand for it for an additional cost to get it up around waist high.....

This unit will handle 700 pounds of cons (concentrates) per hour of 1/4 minus material... You have control over the water flow and pressure..and deck angle and shaking speed...plus it has rotating opposing magnets going around and around under the deck which causes all the heavy magnetics to really dance up and down as the magnetic flux changes direction...this allows the gold and silver to settle down to the bottom of the deck and not ride on top of the natural iron and magnetite (black sands) you'll find in stream beds....

It has 4 "leads" coming off it where the material is discharged off the deck... when properly let up, the first lead will be all gold.... the second lead will be more gold and less silver...the third lead will have more silver and less gold...and the fourth lead will have mostly just dead cons..with no real value...

When properly set up, it will capture down to 1 micron in size..nearly invisible to the human eye....you may have to re-run the 2nd and 3rd lead material a couple of times to get the best separation between the materials...

Once you have enough gold and silver accumulated.. send the gold..and the gold and silver combinations off to a commercial public smelter and you'll get back pure gold, pure silver or be cashed out for the values ....minus a small fee...

Hope that helps.... without equipment like this, you will spend endless hours with a pan trying to separate the gold and silver.....and eventually you will probably spend and equal amount of money the RP-4 cost, ...on good looking and fine sounding recovery items that you will eventually wind up, ...in the end .... to be very disappointed with...

Good luck on your project..

Klondike  Ike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11866.msg76562.html#msg76562

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:49:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If its in sulfide ore you have got to be thinking in terms of ounce / tons. Recovery and smelting are complex. If turns out not to be a placer deposit you might look at the accessory minerals. Some of the rare ones can be sold to Scientific supply houses in small lots.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11866.msg76590.html#msg76590

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 08:56:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Besides Klondike Ike's excellent suggestions, I'm going to suggest (especially if you are in the Tahoe region) you look in the library and/or used bookstores for older books and government pamphlets on prospecting and mining in the Comstock lode area.....That'll give you something to do until the weather clears up and give you an idea of how the old-timers in the region handled the same issues.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11866.msg76592.html#msg76592

Offline daddio
Copper Member

The more you dig, the more you'll find. Dig it.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

265.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT - Tesoro Lobo - Tesoro Golden umax
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:51:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Klondike said it all pretty much. You will never likely do much silver mining unless you buy some machinery and learn how to identify the silver sulfides, which do not look silver at all. Silver in it's natural state looks black and will be in aggregate with another metal, usually gold, copper, or lead. There is a website that shows silver with the other native materials based on region.

Please Register or Login

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospect/gold_specimen/Silver_ores.htm
. The silver here in Colorado is usually mixed with Calaverite or Telluride. The richest Colorado mining district, Cripple Creek, had the gold and silver occurring with the Calaverite, and would have been tossed as junk by most people. Once you mine it, crush it, process it, and smelt it however, you will be rich in gold and silver. With silver rising in value right now, it might be worth it to find out if your claim might produce in large enough quantity to get an outside mining company to come in as a partner. That may sound like a big dream, but this has happened with a lot of smaller claims in the past. Gold/Silver is where you find it.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11866.msg174330.html#msg174330

Shut up and dig!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: