[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline cascaTopic starter
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« on: September 15, 2011, 02:17:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All, last spring I went crevacing and accumulated about 400 pounds of dirt. I clasisfied the dirt down pretty fine and set the rocks aside. I took samples from creek bedrock, to the Dam when they shut the water off.

I need advice on where to get a good set of pans for panning. I dont have a store close by that I can tell for that stuff. What kind of pan(s) should I get? I guess what Im saying is I want a good set of equipment.

I was thinking of one of those blue wheel things also. What do you suggest before I invest money?

I have a lot of iron in my dirt, so I run it through magnets and got out what I could. I was very bored that day.

I built a sluice, and a dry washer to see how they work. But will just stick to my buckets in the back yard.

I want to check the rocks also for gold. But the iron is setting my metal detector into fits. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27549.msg195185.html#msg195185

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 08:51:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All, last spring I went crevacing and accumulated about 400 pounds of dirt. I clasisfied the dirt down pretty fine and set the rocks aside. I took samples from creek bedrock, to the Dam when they shut the water off.

I would have done my panning samples before working that hard gathering dirt!  LOL.   Don't be expecting much gold up behind the dam.   

need advice on where to get a good set of pans for panning. I dont have a store close by that I can tell for that stuff. What kind of pan(s) should I get? I guess what Im saying is I want a good set of equipment.

Garrett's green pans work fine for me.   You can order them from just about any detector dealer.

I was thinking of one of those blue wheel things also. What do you suggest before I invest money?

Assuming your talking about a Gold Magic, Camel or the like?   I have  Gold Magic and works good for going through sluice concentrates.  It is too slow to use as a hand pan substitute.

I have a lot of iron in my dirt, so I run it through magnets and got out what I could. I was very bored that day.

It's best to do this when your material is Bone Dry or Suspended in water, other wise the magnetic materials can snatch some of you fine gold up to the Maginet.

I built a sluice, and a dry washer to see how they work. But will just stick to my buckets in the back yard.

I want to check the rocks also for gold. But the iron is setting my metal detector into fits. Any suggestions?

Your going to need a Gold type detector to check rock walls and such.   Ground Bal the detector to the rock just as you would the ground. Forget Discrimination.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27549.msg195211.html#msg195211

Offline coloma gold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:20:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

If one gets a gold type detector, based upon the club I belonged to in the 'gold country' of California, I believe they prefer a small coil for crevacing...Coloma Gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27549.msg195215.html#msg195215

Offline wb4rav
Bronze Member

Any day detecting is better than a day at work
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 1100, Cen-tech pinpointer, Bounty Hunter 2200 Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Bounty Hunter pinpointer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 04:22:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I agree with Hopmefire. Garrett green pans are very good and also inexpensive.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27549.msg195269.html#msg195269

WB4RAV

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 12:47:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That is a lot of good information. I was wanting to hear a brand name so i wasnt wasting money. I dont spend much as the idea is to make money.

You guys brought up some great points and Im not sure I should ask you to for more info.

The Dam had a concrete base that I could easily get at the stuff on the bootm, so I figured what the heck. There was a real interesting dry creek bed that emptied into the river close by. The dirt was for my sluice I had at home. It was not feasible nor probably legal to do so at the dam.

I located a old mine close by, and we have a bunch of them. I later found out it is a silver mine if the source was truthful. I am too lazy to check the claims as I am not versed in such stuff. Most places  look for minerals is private property and I know the owners. The dam is not of course. Im talking a very small sample to see what was in the dirt anyway. I felt like a 49'er playing with the dirt trying to build a better mousetrap. What i needed was the real equipment, lol.

I have located what rings silver is some hard rock boulders. When I say hard, I cant bust em with a 3 pound sledge I carry. My detector does have the small and large heads. Im thinking of my 18 volt drill and a bit made for such stuff next go round. I live near the Organs Mountains and there is places to crevice from here to sante fe. There has been gold and other minerals found here. unfortunately the gold was found in a green spongy rock. I have no clue where to find that rock here. So placer if I used the word right is my next stop.

I may hit the rio with a post hole digger and a 5 gallon bucket if I get too bored this year. Just want to learn the trade right now.

I also recovered some rock chips carefully placed in a hole. It would be great to identify the rock and what if any is in them. I do see black flakes which looked similar to what silver would hide in. I dont want silver, I want gold.

Looks like the yard is finally gonna get leveled out, a 5 gallon bucket at a time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27549.msg195369.html#msg195369

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 07:57:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

As far as a pan goes, I really like the Keene pans. They have a nice wide bottom and the riffles are nicely laid out. It really comes down to personal preference, what I did was just accumulate many and use them to see which I like best. If I were you, I would take those buckets and run them through a small sluice box and then pan the cons... unless you really want the hours (or days) of practice.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27549.msg196052.html#msg196052

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 02:49:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Sean, exactly what I had planned to do. Im sure I will get plenty of practice lol. Ill post what if any I have found. Right now I dont have the eye for spots yet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27549.msg196180.html#msg196180

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 02:51:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hillsboro is close enough to ya.   Hit it!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27549.msg196182.html#msg196182

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 06:06:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by casca

Rent or borrow a Fisher Gold Bug Pro to see if it suits your needs. I run one and it detects small gold in rock (NOTE: small gold, NOT flour or micro gold) rather well, even in iron-infested areas.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27549.msg196324.html#msg196324

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 11:37:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes the Fisher F4 and the Goldbug pro II is on my list. Im looking for what the miners left, and will be checking dry creeks and any mine tailings I can find.

The Hillsboro area is well known. I need to make a trip to the BLM office and get a map for any areas Im going into for my searches.

I always seem to get company after a few visits to a area. I dont like letting people know my buisness.  Had a guy show up with ropes, pack, and very large holstered gun one day at one particular area lol. Short of desert squirells I keep finding, no need for a gun lol.

Looking for a partner now.

I have a old bounty hunter 202, and the coils fit the F4 too.

all good info guys, thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27549.msg196383.html#msg196383

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: