[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Gramps43Topic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:54:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yo all you dudes and dudettes what lives in Oregon go to the attached link give it a read and maybe sign the petition.  This is a very important bit of history and if it works could mean the difference between mining and not mining.

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://giveusourlandback.org/

Gramps   RiderWise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36568.msg224067.html#msg224067

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you295

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:47:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, Gramps, that is a good one!   Wish you the best on this Memorial Day!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36568.msg224096.html#msg224096

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 12:44:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Have you posted this on the Nuggethunter forum?    I know they have folks up there. Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36568.msg224102.html#msg224102

Offline Gramps43Topic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 05:05:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Not yet Homey I came across this late last night and posted it here and at Tnet then it was time to sack out.  One thing I didn't mention here was for folks in other states to check and see if there is an org. in their state and get on board with them.

TTFN,
Gramps

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36568.msg224113.html#msg224113

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Online GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 05:44:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Gramps43, I find this kind of thing to be somewhat ineffective without direct lobbying. I signed the petition since it can't really do any harm. Do you remember the FDMAC from back in the 1980s? They tried hard to fight the good fight with thousands of signatures on petitions. Unfortunately, they lacked any connection to the lawmakers who made the laws they were fighting against. This group seems to be of a similar organization believing that if enough people ask for something, the politicians will somehow miraculously agree and change laws for them.

We need an active lobby in all states affected by these kinds of restrictive practices against our rights to enjoy a hobby or a profession. This group may have the most noble of motives but they do not mention how they are going to get their message to Congress except to submit a petition. Nowhere do they address their methods, just their desires. They also list the legislation and answer FAQs about how noble their reasoning is but again fail to mention exactly how they are to accomplish this onerous task.

Here's a tip for anyone interested. If you want your Congressman's ear, volunteer to help get him or her elected/reelected. Just sitting by the phone will get you a personal, one on one visit from them to thank you for your help. There's your moment. Keep working for them and anything you want gets greater attention than stuff sent in the mail. Even stuff with a thousand signatures. Especially digital signatures. Even Congressional offices know about the bots that are out there forging signatures. It's true that every letter to your Congressman probably gets read but not by the person you really want to address. Also, going to one of those town hall meetings to register a complaint stands the risk of being shouted down by others who are there for the opposing reason you are there.

It's complicated. I've worked for some of the organizations that are fighting against dredging laws and know the way to your Congressman's heart. I have some very urgent business to attend to today in our state's capital. When I am less busy tomorrow, I may write a long post about how to be effective against restrictive laws and how to effectively lobby your representatives, even as a party of one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36568.msg224133.html#msg224133

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:51:04 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 08:06:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have had more then one representative tell me that petitions with digital signatures are pretty much ignored by all representative its just to easy to inflate their true signature count. On the other hand all hand written letters are read by a staff member who decides if the representative need to know about it or not. If a large number of letters are received on a matter it will be brought to the attention of the representative but if the representative have no clue what is going on its lost in the 100's of other problem he/she is dealing with.

One or two folks need to meet with the representative to explain what the whole thing is about remember you will only have 5 or 10 minutes to stat your case so be prepared have reference material to leave with him/her so when the letters start pouring in they can make educated decisions.     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36568.msg224140.html#msg224140

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you295

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 01:14:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

HI guys!  From my reading of the link provided by Gramps, this is an Oregon group, actively working within the State of Oregon, with the State Legislature, and preparing a bill to be introduced into the US Congress.  I am inferring from some of the statements made that there are similar organizations in other states.  The Oregon group is apparently in contact with Oregon's legislature and individual representatives and Senators.  That is my understanding from reading their statements on the website.   Sounds like they are on the right track to me, at least in Oregon.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36568.msg224162.html#msg224162

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 02:17:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cool Beans!   That's the way to do it.

You don't want to be the Burr under the saddle but a Spur now and then is good.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36568.msg224173.html#msg224173

Online GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 02:56:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by ArfieBoy
HI guys!  From my reading of the link provided by Gramps, this is an Oregon group, actively working within the State of Oregon, with the State Legislature, and preparing a bill to be introduced into the US Congress.

They say that without actually saying that. Sorry, I see no links to actual lobbying ability on the group's part. And I looked very hard.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36568.msg224175.html#msg224175

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: