[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline cascaTopic starter
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« on: December 28, 2010, 04:40:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Made a small sluice, will work in a tub with recirculating water. Seen several examples on line.

The part the ripples are made of is where the confusion starts. Some just use a plastic black mat with horizontal lines, others use expanded metal only on top of a rug, and yet some use a combination of the two plus minors grass on the bottom for fine gold. I almost forgot to mention L-channel.

I will be bringing placer gold samples to concentrate down for panning.

I would like a comment on a working sluice, homeade or store bought that works. Why you think it works better. What medium makes it work.

My next project may be a boilerbox type. But for now I want to keep it simple to locate possible gold sites. I find owning and working a claim would be neat.

I used wood. May line it with ductwork.

Thanks

{alt}

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20339.msg134079.html#msg134079

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

boredom.jpg

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline Bushwacker
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

CZ-5, Infinium, Diablo
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 06:20:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You'll want to screen (classify) your feed material down to a pretty small, uniform size.  In order to get the small amount of water you'll be recirculating to move the stuff down your relatively wide sluice, it will need to be fine - I'd suggest using an 1/8" screen.  Use a detector on the oversize to make sure you don't throw any pickers away.

Once you get the material down that fine, expanded metal over astroturf should work great.  I don't like miner's moss because it is really hard to clean the gold out of.  Indoor/outdoor carpet doesn't have the nap to help trap gold, but astroturf turns out to be just about right.  Only trouble with it is the rubber backing usually on the back sticks to the metal sluice if you leave it in there in storage.  My rubber backing is long gone, worn off long time ago and it still works just fine.

Bottom line is, the size of the riffles is a function of the water flow and the size of the feed.  The more you screen and clean the feed, the smaller and finer the riffles can be, and the less water you will need to move it along.  Your recovery also goes up exponentially with good classification.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20339.msg134101.html#msg134101

Bushwacker

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 06:53:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats great Bushwacker. I will let you know how it works outs. We actually are getting a windstorm and possible snow this weekend, so may not be able to try it this weekend.

I can buy or make a set of classifiers, thats no problem, I used expanded metal in the bottom of a coffee can right now. I Know you have to move dirt buy the yard, so that may not be feasable. Im just getting my hands dirty at this.

The expanded metal over astroturf is the info I needed. Maybe a piece of rubber mat the first few inches. I can always add l channel later if I dont like the results. I may have to play with the expanded metal hole size. I have a garden hose and can reduce the intake to create all the pressure I want. But I may take this out with me into the desert or mountains, and Ill have to port water, I have a 55 gallon drum for that.

Ill post a picture when its done and working. Thanks, I owe you one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20339.msg134115.html#msg134115

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:43:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When I get a chance I will post a picture for you of my favorite, most efficient sluice I have. This thing is small and very portable. I have found more gold with it than my trommel and dredge combined (it cheats though, becuase it is used more often and it has been around the longest). Riffles are important (I suggest hungarian riffles over some sort of carpet), but classification is more so. I would use a 2 or a 4 mesh screen to classify before you run it through your sluice box. Again, I will try to remember to post pics later when I get home of my set-up. The black mat is just so you can get a general idea of what you have as it contrasts the gold better. To save money I would skip the black mat. If you use miners moss, make sure you put burlap or something of that nature under it because with out you may end up losing gold.

Cheers

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20339.msg134218.html#msg134218

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 11:08:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I look forward to the pic, if I can see it I can build it. Had carpet in the shed, and the neibor just threw some out also, gonna have enough to play with.

When you post your pic, if your have it ready, jot some measurements down also. Im not above buying a storebought, but its a personal thing to duplicate what I see on here. After seeing the set ups, the mechanics is easy. Knowing what height to set the sluice and how much water is also something I havent learned.

I dont have wet clay to deal with, its dry here most of the year. But may set up a crusher for rocks, and run my screened material through a piece of ribbed black pvc pipe into the sluice.

The burlap is a good idea, but all material will end up in a large tub and run through several times.

I seen one design that catches most of the gold up top. Pretty sure I can duplicate that. Not with my first build.

You are correct that I will need something I can pack in.

Lacking any real tools, torches, rivit guns, and metal brakes, Im making do and learning the basics. I have been very lucky to have fab shop and maching experienced. Im pretty good with just a hammer and steel and eyeballing things.

My little wonder is all scrap wood and materials, just like the old miners would use.

I may try to get some expertise from the old hands here on how to step down my 18 volt batterys into 12 volts for portable pumps. It may pay me to hook up a small inverter, with these batterys, to run a small 120 shopvac.

Im also seeing dry sluices using shop vacs, well, I dont understand how they work. Gonna need to get up close and personal with one of them. Thats totally different from grabbing samples out of crevices and breaking open boulders.

Thats the cart before the horse. One step at a time. Need to find a place I can mine first. By spring I need to be at least proficient in the basics and be able to keep what Im finding.

Ty for the help.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20339.msg134226.html#msg134226

Offline Bushwacker
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

CZ-5, Infinium, Diablo
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 12:06:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Coarse expanded metal would work good - something with about 1" diamonds. It sticks up at the joints and form lots of little riffles.  Rubber ribbed mat in the first foot or so is good - but you'll be surprised how even tiny pieces of gold will just sit tight in the first foot of sluice no matter what you use up there.

Careful with the water pressure.  You're looking for enough volume to get the sand moving down the sluice without scouring out the riffles - especially in the first 1/3 of the sluice - that's where 99% of your gold will be.  You WILL wash gold out with too much volume OR too much pressure.  Most sluices have a header box that sits over the first foot or so that the water sprays into and looses most of it's energy, then begins to wash down the length of the trough.  A lot even have a punch plate screen that sits an inch or two above the rubber mat and under this header box that takes even more of the energy out of the water flow before it begins running down the sluice.  Even, laminar (not turbulant) water flow is what you're looking for.  Once you get that, modulate the volume of water to clean the sand down the sluice without scouring out black sand behind the riffles.  When there is black sand dancing around behind your riffles (downstream) but not washing away, then yer makin' gold!!

The biggest trouble with the expanded metal riffles is that you have to clean the sluice pretty often, since the riffles are small and low and can't store very much black sand behind them.  Soon as they're packed full, the gold will just keep travelling down and out.  Too big riffles will not have enough "action" behind them to keep the black sand bed loose and working.  When it's working just right, the black sand itself is like a heavy fluid that helps settle the gold since it shields the smaller gold pieces from the water flow and provides a bed for them to drop into.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20339.msg134231.html#msg134231

Bushwacker

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 02:21:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Expanded metal serves it purpose, but not for your primary riffle. You WILL catch gold with that method, however the idea behind good riffles is that "The nuggets take care of themselves... it's the fine stuff you need to worry about". That being said, the fines are your "bread and butter"... the nuggets are your filet minon, so you need to take special care to lose as little fines as possible. True hungarian riffles are not difficult to build, so to leave them out would be detrimental and a waste of your time. Now, there are always exceptions... if you are building a beach box where all of your gold will be super fine AND your material is basically pre-classified down to grains by nature AND you are using low water flow with perfect laminar then expanded metal would work well and in some cases be over kill. I don't mean to confuse you, there is a lot to learn so just stick to the basics. A simple sluice is a great start, but do you know how to pan? If not watch videos on youtube and get some practice in.

Cheers

Sean

Posted on: December 29, 2010, 00:10:55
Here are some pictures of my favorite sluice. I also have a huge sluice that is killer but take a tremendous amount of current to keep clear. The sluice itself is 24" by 6.25". I tried to take a lot of good pics so you can get ideas on how to make it function.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20339.msg134243.html#msg134243

There are 7 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

PC290022.JPG
PC290023.JPG
PC290024.JPG
PC290025.JPG
PC290026.JPG
PC290027.JPG
PC290028.JPG

Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 03:33:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

good tip on the water pressure, i would have put the water to it, will get a break going.

As I get the hang of it, I will keep seeing what works and what dont. I do plan on panning the fine gold, and that is what Im going after.

Between crevacing, and hitting the bedrock, once I find it, I will be able to concentrate on that area.

This spring, god willing, Ill be going out to an actual site with a old hand who invited me, and do some work on his claim. I hope to get some good experience there and some ideas on how to do it even better.

Thanks for the post and pictures. My sluice is half that size. Again, its my first, and I dont plan on moving alot of dirt, and my ore will be classified as best I can.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20339.msg134251.html#msg134251

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 03:44:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Just play around with it. You will get the hang of it and each person performs the task at hand differently. What works for me may or may not work for you. Experience is your best friend for this.

Good Luck,

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20339.msg134252.html#msg134252

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: