[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline WaulespanTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

665.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« on: March 11, 2015, 06:03:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A high hamlet in Mid Wales last weekend, bright and dry but windy though not too cold. I'd already found a miniscule amount of dust in this lonely river three years ago, but what could lie hidden a few miles above in the source was the draw.
The un-metalled but firm private road up to the highest waterfall was dry enough to risk a slow bumpy drive in my campervan.
Three streams converged into a cauldron, crossed by a quaint packbridge, so I chose the smallest stream, expecting to eliminate it and move over.
Previously my overburden challenge has been invariably composed of rounded cobbles and pebbles, with the hardpack mud and bedrock cracks rewarded after two or three or more foot of digging and washing. This small stream was different, the shale was sharp, angular and irregular, tightly packed, with rich mud in the first few inches, but easy to pry apart. There were no rounded cobbles or pebbles, the weathering was extremely immature. This was not the kind of gravel in which salmon or trout would spawn, it would be far too hard on their tails. I had a few cuts in my hands after a short dig, even through my builders gloves. This would have to be a very careful exercise indeed, lest I slash an artery in my wrist.
However, not far down the first large specks of gold showed themselves in the black rubber sluice mat. I felt closer to the source than I had expected on this trip. I fully expected to find large flakes the further down I ventured, and I estimated that the bedrock was around four foot below. With the source being so close and the material being so slow-moving, I believed that there was every prospect of a rich reward here.
As my mind raced the wind picked up and a mist began to descend, so I thought it prudent to pack up and drive out before the steep exit became slippery.
I showed the farmer and his family what I had found and promised to return for a more sustained dig when conditions permitted.
The farmer's wife invited me to stay for dinner and we discussed the practicalities. I greatly enjoyed the fresh Welsh chicken from the farm, although I commented that the potatoes were so delicious they may have been Irish! I am an Ulsterman of course.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59909.msg293312.html#msg293312

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:13:40 pm by Waulespan »
Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you358

Activity
9%
Male
Australia

6090.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Chrome 41.0.2272.76
Chrome 41.0.2272.76

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 08:13:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Waulespan
I showed the farmer and his family what I had found and promised to return for a more sustained dig when conditions permitted.
The farmer's wife invited me to stay for dinner and we discussed the practicalities. I greatly enjoyed the fresh Welsh chicken from the farm, although I commented that the potatoes were so delicious they may have been Irish! I am an Ulsterman of course.

That's so nice.
I still remember those days here in Victoria that you could be invite to detect on any farm have a cup of coffee, and share the finds with the farmer and have a friendships for life.
And then SD series metal detector came out.
The GOLD rush was on.
Since then everything and anything is secret and of limits.
Yes there is a lot more gold around but you have to watch your back.
Sorry Waulespan if I am off topic but your post brought back good memories

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59909.msg293315.html#msg293315

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 01:16:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

G'day Brian, That Sounds like a Perfect Day and an even more Perfect Evening, Thanks for the up Date, It's nice to hear a Happy ending,

Thanks again Mate

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59909.msg293321.html#msg293321

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 07:24:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you both for your kind comments Nickel and Ridge.
I think of that day as a happy beginning. It is a somewhat lonely spot, with no radio or phone signal, but at least I won't have to worry about officials turning up waving byelaws, or unfriendly competitors.
If I get back there next weekend, as planned, I will post a picture of the dig and any decent sized flakes, if I should be so lucky.
Wales is open for business.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59909.msg293326.html#msg293326

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 07:29:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you both for your kind comments Nickel and Ridge.
I think of that day as a happy beginning. It is a somewhat lonely spot, with no radio or phone signal, but at least I won't have to worry about officials turning up waving byelaws, or unfriendly competitors.
If I get back there next weekend, as planned, I will post a picture of the dig and any decent sized flakes, if I should be so lucky.
Wales is open for business.

Brilliant Brian, that's terrific, Please Keep us in the Loop on this One Because at long Last (more than 5 Years) it seems like the tide has turned for the Better,

Take Care Mate, RR

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59909.msg293327.html#msg293327

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 07:38:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Will do Ridge. By the way I haven't heard back yet from Natural Resources Wales about the salmon spawning locations data, which they don't appear to have any of, and the many other environmental and legal questions I asked. The funniest contradiction is their statement that natural erosion in rivers is important to maintain habitats, whilst being opposed to any minor erosion by humans. Their attitude is that fish can cope with massive natural erosion all year round, but can't tolerate a bit of scraping about by the odd prospector!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59909.msg293328.html#msg293328

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 07:48:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Will do Ridge. By the way I haven't heard back yet from Natural Resources Wales about the salmon spawning locations data, which they don't appear to have any of, and the many other environmental and legal questions I asked. The funniest contradiction is their statement that natural erosion in rivers is important to maintain habitats, whilst being opposed to any minor erosion by humans. Their attitude is that fish can cope with massive natural erosion all year round, but can't tolerate a bit of scraping about by the odd prospector!

They have lost the Plot, So I wonder how Salmon get up 10 to 20 water Falls when it they are not flowing ?? Shocked  That crowd are a Legend in their Own Minds,

So who is to Blame when it's in Full Flood Then?? and it is rolling 2 foot bolders down stream, ??

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59909.msg293329.html#msg293329

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 07:56:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Indeed Ridge, their powers of logic are not their strong point. Which is probably why there have only been threats of prosecution.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59909.msg293330.html#msg293330

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:03:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Indeed Ridge, their powers of logic are not their strong point. Which is probably why there have only been threats of prosecution.

Well Its good to know If I Loose my marbles I can always go there and Get A Government Job,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59909.msg293331.html#msg293331

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 41.0.2272.76
Chrome 41.0.2272.76

Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 10:36:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Don't want to go off topic but this discussion reminds me of the global warming government scam, they make you place catalytic exhaust systems that cost a fortune and yet we have volcanic eruptions all the time that emit more carbon dioxide in 3 min than we can trap in these expensive exhausts systems in 3 years, not to mention that the earth temperature has dropped over the past few years and not because of these fancy catalytic traps, just because it's a natural phenomena. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,59909.msg293336.html#msg293336

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: