[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 04:03:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Certainly sg is not all of the picture, but sg will give you an idea of whether or not it's worth going to the trouble and expense to have more tests done. 45 minutes on an analysis is not bad though.  How much did that cost you?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11960.msg89758.html#msg89758

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 04:08:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bigwater
Certainly sg is not all of the picture, but sg will give you an idea of whether or not it's worth going to the trouble and expense to have more tests done. 45 minutes on an analysis is not bad though.  How much did that cost you?

It was around $250.00 as I recall for a 10kg ore sample but it also included the paperwork necessary for submission to the BLM on changing from a prospect claim to a full working claim. Claim sold shortly after the assay. I'm a happy camper.

The electronic test consists of sticking two probes into visible metal on the sample. The machine to do this is a one time cost of a few hundred dollars and the result is on the screen in a few milliseconds. Specific gravity tests take a few hours and some samples may be too small to get an accurate result. It's the old way of doing things.

The cost of an electronic assay machine was, at the time, 5 times the cost of the assay and I then had to pulverize the ore and do a lot of testing to determine the yield. It was much more expedient to let them do the work.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11960.msg89762.html#msg89762

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:12:47 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 04:13:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Dang.  Maybe I need to go in the assaying business.  $350.00 / hr is not a bad gig.  That's more than my lawyer gets.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11960.msg89765.html#msg89765

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:19:13 pm by bigwater »

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 04:31:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bigwater, the e-mail I got simply told me it was gold. The rest of the assay which included the yield per ton was more important in the grand scheme of things. Their paperwork allowed me to negotiate a sale. My point is that there are faster ways than waiting weeks for an assay these days. Most jewelers have gold testing machines that will tell you if a small sample is platinum, gold, silver or an alloy of any sort. You can buy them on eBay but they're not cheap. A bargain if you find a lot of questionable items or ore but for the casual treasure hunter, quite expensive.

Please Register or Login

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Gold-Party-Mizar-Electronic-Tester-Gram-Scale-Kit-/260365586427?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3c9eff8ffb

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11960.msg89767.html#msg89767

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 05:34:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting.  I might have to look into this a little further.  I've already got a scale that measures down to .001 gram, so I don't need the scale but the analyzer would be cool to have.  Certainly a sg test can be a lot of guess work.  You've got a rock. The rock contains minerals.  You take a sg on the rock plus the minerals and take a guess as to where it's going.  If you end up with a raised eyebrow, then you grind it up and extract the mineral from the ore and do another sg test.  If the eyebrow goes up another notch, you send it and a check off for analysis.  This little machine, if it can be had alone for a hundred bucks or so, and actually works, could save a lot of time and sore eyebrows.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11960.msg89778.html#msg89778

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 07:55:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Of course you can send it off for analysis, Any scrap dealer with a M.S. machine or kvex x-ray can tell you what elements are present in what ratios. As for a field test, the three properties that will tell is 1-nitric acid (concentrated), 2-(the one i like) malleability, and 3) melting point and S.G. are more difficult and confused for alloys.

I remember an old cowboy movie where a young prospector comes up with an arm load of gold colored rocks yelling Gold!, Gold! I've struck Gold!. The next line was from an old grizzled prospecter who is standing by.

"You say you found gold?" (he places a rock on a flat table and smashes it with his pistol butt). "That ain't gold, That's fool's gold!

That being Hollywood's version of a malleability test

Malleability. That's the property that tells if its a native metal or one of the many metallic lustered minerals. do that first.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11960.msg89800.html#msg89800

Offline Vagadero
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Gibraltar

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 04:25:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11960.msg89854.html#msg89854

Offline JacksonTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

586.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

GMT
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 10:38:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey,

Yes thanks for the advice I will do that.

Daryl

Please Register or Login

www.spindlequest.com/seventyninegold.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11960.msg90986.html#msg90986

Offline wus47
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Ukraine

605.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

hammer head PI Md, Thunder, own develop
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 12:43:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have found also many these pyrites(> 100 from 0.5 cm to 3 cm size). I have placed them in a bottle and has filled with water. The gold color has disappeared in one week. They become of silvery color.
Tried to dissolve these pyrites in an nitric acid. They are dissolved very slowly. But after one month are dissolved completely.
Percent of platinum in these pyrites is less 5%. It is necessary to make the spectral analysis. It is the guaranteed answer.
I wanted them to sell but while unsuccessfully.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11960.msg131808.html#msg131808

Offline rclaiborne4
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Commando
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 12:08:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Saw a video online about testing a potential platinum containing mineral by placeing it in hydrogen peroxide. Platinum being a catalyst will release lots and lots of oxygen bubbles. Got real excited until I found that manganese and titanium and a lot of other minerals are catalysts as well that did the same. Got samples out of a platinum bearing stream in North Carolina. If you have access to a furnace you could try smelting it and doing a fire essay. A lot of platinum bearing minerals like sperrylite look like platinum but aren't pure so will be difficult to get a specific gravity, but smelting your ores leaves noble metals only and is a little more informative.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11960.msg132467.html#msg132467

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: