[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: December 06, 2010, 12:11:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Found another chunk of metal in seawater which possibly came from a hydrothermal source. I'm totally out of acids and can't take the time to drive 330km to get more till after Xmas. Heck, I had to use a toilet bowl cleaner which has some HCL content to clean part of this lump. A visit to a local goldsmith is not feasible. If I had some conc H2SO4 and HNO3 right now, I could get a reasonably accurate idea of what it is.  Anyways, attached is a photo of the streak test done on the unglazed back of a ceramic tile.

Color: ranging from silvery-yellow to a slightly darker brassy yellow. There are some minor coppery-red patches on the surface and even smaller patches of what appears to be verdigris.
Streak: ranging from grayish-black to light silvery yellow to gold/brassy-like yellow (please refer to attached photo). The grayish-black portions will have a faint yellow glow when viewed at an angle.
Magnetism: none
Hardness: less than 5.5 on Moh scale (can be easily scratched by kitchen knife), but cannot be scratched with fingernail.
Malleability: Taps with a hammer flattens the parts I hit, no shattering.

QUESTIONS:
In the course of trying to find out what this lump is, I came across a family of metals called Tellurides. They almost fit the characteristics of this lump, except they are brittle and this lump is malleable.

1) It is possible that a member of the Telluride family combines with a chalcopyrite or some other unbrittle mineral naturally? If so, that could explain the malleability and the small parts of what appears to be copper and oxidized copper.

2) I came across a non-acid test for Tellurium at

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.miningbasics.com/identifying-tellurium-minerals
which instructs: "Charcoal Test.When heated on charcoal a white sublimate of TeO2 is formed which somewhat resembles antimony oxide. It is volatile and when touché with the reducing flame gives a pale greenish color to it." Is this test accurate? If so, I'll yank out the BBQ.

3) Whats a good reference book on identifying minerals in the field?

Thanks!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19805.msg130272.html#msg130272

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

P1000239.JPG

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Goldfinger
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug 2
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 06:09:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

I've given up trying to identify mineral specimens unless I have it in hand. Descriptions are simply too vague to be of any use and more often then not- critical details are often left out.

The charcoal test could reduce the number of minerals it could be but even those are not foolproof. Sometimes you can have other minerals which  have the same colored flame. It is helpful since it does narrow it down though.

Have you tried mindat? 

Please Register or Login

http://www.mindat.org/

I honestly don't believe it's a telluride based on what you've posted but I could be wrong.

Steve

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19805.msg130435.html#msg130435

Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:00:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Understood, Steve. It's way better and easier to have the metal in hand for identification. Thanks for the info. The more I look at it, the less I think it do be a telluride too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19805.msg130443.html#msg130443

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: