[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline WkilgorejrTopic starter
Wild Bill's Prospecting
Pull Tab

Wild Bill's Prospecting
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab Eureka Gold
« on: April 21, 2009, 01:19:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been crushing and grinding ore tailings and using an M7 Micron Mill Wave Table for Clean Up.

I use the small vac to suck up the fine gold. The problems I am encountering is in the bump adjustment and water flow. The fine gold and black sands appear and disappear. I prefer to recirculate my water but the holes in the pvc get clogged easily and that forces an adjustment in angle.

Also, I get a lot of black sand in the vac.

I am not sure what to do with the black sands. I have tried to smelt them with a gold flux but the gold stays in the slag and will not fall to the bottom point of the mold. If I use a lead flux, the gold falls but ten I have to cupel the prill.

I have the chem gold leach plant but have only been leaching the material that stays on the M7 table after clean up with the vac. Here again I have to use a lead flux to get the fine golg to fall from the slag.

SO, I guess I have several problems, but would appreciate any advice.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4851.msg30691.html#msg30691

WILD BILL

Offline nvprospector
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:58:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What is the mesh of your cons. I know with all the wave tables that you need to make several runs of material when dealing with a large quantity of black sands that is less than 100 mesh. So say if you are running 200 mesh you will get a lot of packing of the black sands and then you will need to manual remove the blockage. When I was running a wave table I would use it only for rough cons of about 40 to 100 mesh size. Then I would use a finishing jig for the heavies. I was not to happy with my M8 and finally got rid of it for a Gemini table.

If you are getting clogging of the jets you are not running a settling pond with a feed filter. This is a must when you are processing a large amount of ore that, I assume, has not been pre-concentrated to remove the remaining clays. Another way to do this is to use a mud box prior to running the material through the table. This will remove a lot of the clays and lighter material.

What is the matrix of your black sand? If you are dealing with Hematite you can treat it with strong acids, bases, Clorox, etc. It is not as chemically resistant as Magnetite. If you are using Magnetite you can use a strong acid but this is a very slow process. Best thing for Magnetite is a magnet and water. You never smelt black sand. As you found out all you end up with is a very expensive piece of slag. Also, what are you trying to float that you are using lead? I use just Sodium Nitrate for the oxidizing agent and just stander cheap crystal and borax to remove the Copper Nitrate for the dore bar.

Let me know what you are using for a leach and I will help you with that later.

-Tim-

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4851.msg30724.html#msg30724

Wild Bill's Prospecting
Pull Tab

Wild Bill's Prospecting
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:45:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Tim,
   In regards to the lead question, I believe the flux  is referred to as litharge which contains lead and is used in making a "prill" which can be cupelled to reduce to gold and silver for assaying. When I don't use this flux, the very fine gold hangs in the slag instead of going to the bottom of the mold. I can see suspended gold in my slag. When i use the lead based flux all the fine gold drops out but of course is mixed with lead and has to be be cuppelled,
   In regards to leaching I have experimented with weak leach formulas all the way up to aqua regia.
   I would appreciate your imput on both matters. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4851.msg30849.html#msg30849

WILD BILL

Wild Bill's Prospecting
Pull Tab

Wild Bill's Prospecting
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 11:57:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Dear Tim,
    Missed the first question, I use a jaw crusher and Gibson ball mill prior to the wave table.I also use ribbed rubber matting in a gutter section below the ball mill discharge which catches a goodly amount of fine gold before the remaining goes into a bucket.This material is then run on the table.I will have to check the mesh with sieves but it is about like beach sand. Keep in mind, I am not really running cons, I am crushing 100 year old tailings from a Historic underground mine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4851.msg30850.html#msg30850

WILD BILL

Wild Bill's Prospecting
Pull Tab

Wild Bill's Prospecting
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:02:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry Tim,
  Missed another one,  I get the meaning of a mud box and I think that is exactly what I need. Can you describe one please.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4851.msg30852.html#msg30852

WILD BILL

Offline nvprospector
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 01:01:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok, on the lead I know what you are doing. Litharge as a flux is used when dealing with very silicious ores.

Try this as an experiment (just a note, using litharge as a flux is somewhat difficult to make and requires considerable skill to obtain accurate results) -
Charge: 500 grains (32.4 grammes) of ore, 1300 grains (84.4 grammes) of red lead, and 35 grains (2.33 grammes) of charcoal are thoroughly mixed and placed in a crucible. Place in a "cold fire" and raise the temperature very gradually until the charge is throughly fluxed and uniform in color. After pouring and detaching slag, the resulting lead button is cupelled in the usual manner. If the crucible is placed in a hot fire at first, the lead will be reduced without fluxing the ore which will remain intact.

What might work better for you is known as "sweepings", and is is a lot eaiser to do -

50 grammes of ore, 70 grammes of dry sodium carbonate, 100 to 120 grammes of litharge (or a corresponding quantity of white lead), and 6 to 8 parts of powdered charcoal. The ore, litharge, and charcoal are first mixed together, and then with the fluxing agent; and, in case sulphur should be present, a small piece of iron wire is added. The charge is placed in a smooth French clay crucible and fused for half an hour at an intence heat in the furnace. It is the poured out, after which the crucible can be used several times more.

-Tim-

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4851.msg30860.html#msg30860

Offline nvprospector
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 01:03:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you are getting close to beach sand you are hitting the 300 to 400 mesh mark. Either get a finishing jig or start running the material several times over the table.

-Tim-

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4851.msg30862.html#msg30862

Offline nvprospector
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 01:07:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A mud box is a pre-soak of the material that you are going to process. We use it in the southwest to remove clays so the finishing equipment does not clog. All you do is on a recerc system is have a box where you place the ore, and then you skim off the top layer of water while at the same time you are agitating the ore in the bottom of the box. After about 10 min you will start to see your water clear up and most of the clays are either broken up or floated off with the water stream.

-Tim-

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4851.msg30863.html#msg30863

Offline nvprospector
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

United States

400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 01:14:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would avoid Aqua Regia. I only will use Aqua Regia as a last resort when all other methods failed. If all other methods failed I don't want to be working the property anyhow.

When I do leach I like to use the Halide group of chemicals. Halide are easily obtained and are really quick, with the exception of Chlorine, and are considered to be a strong oxidizer of gold. They are, unlike Cyanide, don't die with excess iron and are much safer to use.

-Tim-

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4851.msg30864.html#msg30864

Wild Bill's Prospecting
Pull Tab

Wild Bill's Prospecting
Thank you0

Activity
0%