[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline guncollector7Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:41:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

My Uncle Henry used to loan me his books on treasure hunting in hopes of getting a different spin or take on the subject from me. He understood the value of networking way before its time. The history we shared from our research made for some exciting converstions and adventures. I really miss him a lot as he was a very dedicated treasure hunting fanatic.

I would like to buy some used books on the subject to get brushed up again on all the techniques and advances made in this field. In particular I enjoyed his books by Karl von Mueller.

Just wondered what was out there and if anyone was willing to part with them.  Thanks, G7

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12069.msg77823.html#msg77823

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:04:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey G7  well you got good taste in books. The one's you are talking about are KVM Treasure Hunters Manual # 6 and/or #7 both good informative books. They were considered by many to be the treasure hunters bible by the grandfather of treasure hunting KVM. # 6 was copyrighted in 1961 and # 7 around 1970. From time to time good readable copy's show up on eBay and can sale for around 20 bucks but have also seen them go into the hundreds so you will have to shop around. Also you might have read T Penfield's  Dig Here, it has been republished in the last few years so you can find a copy of it at a good price. Also Charles Garrett wrote many book that will be of interested to you. BA from AZ will show up in awhile and can add book of interested for your area.
Check the For Sale thread here from time to time book are listed for sale or trade Ebay is a good place just don't get caught up in the excitement and pay more then the books worth. There are several online book stores that have THing books from time to time that are reasonable check them out.
If you have any questions about a book or price just ask here or send me a pm someone will be more then willing to help.

Seldom   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12069.msg77840.html#msg77840

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 12:39:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Deciding what books should be in the must have (or at least must read) list is a lot like trying to decide what detector to buy.   A lot depends upon what type of hunting you're planning on doing and what your budget is.

Certainly, ANY KVM book has a place on the list, especially Treasure Hunters Manual #6 and Treasure Hunters Manual #7.   (note---there are at least 3 different versions of #6 out there.  Many people think the original is the best, but there really aren't enough differences between the versions to make it worth holding out for the older one, especially not when you are first assembling your library)

As Seldom points, the books by Garrett are usually pretty good, too.   The nice thing about Garrett's books are you can find ones that deal with the specific type of hunting you are interested in as well as his general metal detecting books.

There is one modern metal detecting book that is aimed at the beginner that really impresses me, in fact the more often I go back and read it, the more I get out of it.    That is [The Urban Treasure Hunter by Michael Chaplan.  (and yes, it's even good for people who don't live in the big city).   I think it makes a good companion to The Treasure Hunter's Manual and to Garrett's Modern Metal Detctors.

Once I had 2 or 3 good general purpose MD books and maybe a couple of specialized ones on the areas that interest me such as cache-hunting, coin-shooting, beach-hunting, prospecting, and/or relic hunting, I?d pour most of my money into getting OLD history books and as many local (state, county, city) history books as I can (the more local the better) as well as maps from as many different periods as I can.   The logic behind this is ? Unless you?re just out looking for pocket change that you don?t mind spending at the grocery store, you are either going to get your leads from reading this sources OR you are going to have to read this sources once you?ve got a lead from some where else.  Even if you?re just interested in coin-shooting, you?ll probably be more excited about digging up a Barber quarter than you would be a modern New Mexico or Kentucky state quarter??and you?ll be more likely to dig up the old coins if you go where the old coins would have been lost when they were new coins---that means the more you know about local history and where people gathered and what they did there, the better your chances.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12069.msg77895.html#msg77895

Offline guncollector7Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 03:38:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You make some very good valid points. I found out about the Swan Creek Gold by reading old newspapers that were put on microfiche. I believe the old papers are an important part of any serious hunters toolbox. G7

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12069.msg77910.html#msg77910

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 05:41:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by guncollector7
You make some very good valid points. I found out about the Swan Creek Gold by reading old newspapers that were put on microfiche. I believe the old papers are an important part of any serious hunters toolbox. G7

Since 1972 I have spend 1000's of hours looking at old news papers and local weekly's plus most bigger library's have  an archives that may have old diary's  and  papers of local business's always a good source for info. If you find a lead that old man Kilroys $5,000 was missing when he died don't grab your detector and run out there because many times you will find in days or weeks later it will be reported that the money was recovered. Don't waste time in the field when you can spend it in a nice AC library.

(note---there are at least 3 different versions of #6 out there.
As BA pointed out there is little different in the 3 so go for which ever one you came across, I and BA both have copy's of all three but we collect books  its not a must have. And I saw a 1961 version sale for 225 bucks on ebay not long ago.
The Urban Treasure Hunter  did not impress me but we will all never agree on everything.
Also J Frank Dobie's  books are good to have and just fun books to read.
I well bet that over the next few days this list will grow so I suggest you start a list.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12069.msg77926.html#msg77926

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 06:25:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I agree with G7 and Seldom that once you get serious, you're going to spend a lot of time reading old newspapers.  It's the time with the local histories and the newspapers and the archives that transform a person from an accidental cache finder to an actual cache hunter.

J Frank Dobie is a whole lot of fun to read---developing serious leads out of his books though is going to depend upon the book and the specific subject being discussed.  He was first and foremost a story-teller  and a folklorist, so the quality of the tale was more important than the validity of the details.   But there are a lot of his stories that are definitely worth following up with some serious research.

I'm glad we don't agree on everything.....it would be much to boring, not to mention people might think we were the same person . (besides I wasn't impressed the first time I read The Urban Treasure Hunter, either.   It was the subsequent readings that did it.   And it really is aimed at the beginner, not someone with experience.   KVM and Garrett have so much in them that even long time md'ers will find something).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12069.msg77932.html#msg77932

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 06:44:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

H. Glenn Carson was another early writer that product some interesting books.
Dobie was a story teller but a he$$ of a story teller, lots of his stuff was picked up by later writers Penfield for one comes to mined and expanded on.
BA thanks for the tip on The Urban Treasure Hunter, will get it off the shelve and reread.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12069.msg77937.html#msg77937

Offline Dayhiker
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT, Bullseye II Pinpointer
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 09:51:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

This is good stuff guys.  I will be looking for some of these titles now.

Thanks,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12069.msg92914.html#msg92914

Dayhiker

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 10:02:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

BA thanks for the tip on The Urban Treasure Hunter, will get it off the shelve and reread

I did reread it and not my kind of hunting is well worth reading and owning.

Dayhiker I have a couple of copy's of THM # 7 I was going to list on ebay for the benefit of the forum but think now I might just put a copy for sale here later today. Keep a eye out for it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12069.msg92919.html#msg92919

Offline Dayhiker
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards