[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 09:02:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Solid shells are no problem. Solid cannon balls are no problem--but when it concerns a powder-loaded shell or ball, then you have to drill it to make it safe. The fellow in Tennessee had been drilling the balls and shells for years--it said he'd done literally hundreds of them...but he got blown up and killed drilling that last one. Let me tell you that I'd never do it by hand. A few folks put ice in a container around the projectile and hand dril it. What if inside that tiny hole you're drilling a minute bit of powder caught on--KABOOM!!!!!!! You'd be a goner!!!!! 
 Let me tell you a safer way of doing things. A fellow I knew (Dead now but not from cannonball or projectile blowing up on him)made a small "bunker" or heavily reinforced building about size of a small pumphouse...that thing was solidly made of thick concrete and steel. He had a drill press inside of it and he'd put a ball or projectile situated in a big vise in a container of ice water and he had a heavy weight tied to handle of drill press to pressure it down into the projectile. He closed the bunker and stacked some heavy stuff against doorway and he didn't turn the drill on until he was back inside his house some fifty or sixty feet from the house. He flipped the switch in his house and waited until he was sure the drill had done its work. And he'd pour some water or oil down drill hole before removing the drill bit from the projectile...seems like he'd told me that he even had a way of lifting bit out of the ball or projectile remotely also...to be safe.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6991.msg68712.html#msg68712

Offline dekoko
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Germany
Referrals: 0

85.00 Gold