[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ChristianTopic starter
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 04:07:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Cornelius,

very well said! You sure have a point there! One ship I also really had liked is the Tjurko:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.djurgardsvarvet.se/public/pdf/Tjurko.e.pdf

A very nice ex-military vessel with plenty of assets like a crane on deck etc.

Cornelius, give the choice between one of these two vessels (not taking actual condition into consideration), for which vessel would you vote?

Best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6157.msg37546.html#msg37546

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline Tinkerer
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Venezuela

165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 05:30:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Buying the ship is easy. To run operations for a year is a different story.
Have you worked out what it is going to cost to run one of these ships for a year?
How many working days will you get during that year? It will depend a lot of where you are located. Some places one can not expect more than 50 days actually on site. Other places may give 300 days on site. Divide the cost of the whole year by the productive working days.
Now how are you going to finance that?
Another thing. These ships from the north sea are very seaworthy. But how livable are they in the tropics? More decisions to make...
Ahh, treasure hunting is a lot of fun.

Hey, I forgot my name, so I send this off unsigned...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6157.msg38097.html#msg38097

Offline edenoz
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 04:16:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

While im dreaming I like this better

Please Register or Login

http://www.multiships.nl/beroeps/meer_info/503_Catharina_2.htm

it looks sea friendly has a nice winch  3 cabins though of course its low on deck space but  possibly adequate for a small exploration vessel
My reasons   It is sail firstly I big plus in these times of high fuel prices. A converted trawler is going to be expensive to run and unless you have a target for salvage your really looking for  a target. And invariably that will take time.
And time on the ocean will cost you money in living expenses, maintenance, mooring fees, taxes.
So ideally you want to be minimising all expenses you can.
The three cabins are a plus you can  have privacy with friends / like minded people or even operate charters with tourists defraying your operating costs
Even make them crew for you and pay for the experience. It would be a great selling point a dive charter treasure searching expedition. You can choose to
 work salvage or take charters according to your needs at the time.  Really your looking at a endeavour that may take years you need to make that boat pay and I cant think of a better way of defraying those costs.
 Of course it would raise a lot of issues like licensing , insurance, which country you are best basing in to reduce the government charges
It looks like a recreation vessel which is an issue if your trying to maintain a low profile. There have been a few cases of privateers/treasure hunters running afoul of  countries laying claim to treasure even in the open ocean. Looking like a dive charter boat wont hurt.
Theres a nice winch though no  crane but im sure you could fit a hiab hydraulic crane on board easily enough.
Add a dive bottle compressor  and a hyperbaric re compression chamber which is essential in my view.
I wouldn't chance it with a inflatable one and you can always use it for storage while not in use.
Id upgrade the power supply , add a backup  to handle the extra equipment and to run extras like magnetometers , sonar and ROVs and to act as a failsafe.
Add  desalinator, large compressor and pumps and figure out some novel approach to storing sand clearing pipes and venturis
Floatation bags are bulky too, better a few smaller ones than one larger one.
With that as a set up you could perform a fair sized amount of work and do it cheaply while enjoying yourself and not be perennially broke

Unless your independently wealthy or retired sold up you need to maintain an income stream and as much as paying passengers would be inconvenient its an option you can fall back on
Alternatively a skill you can use in port for making money between trips
Resale vale is an issue, a recreation vessel will be easier to shift than a  commercial vessel especially with the reduction in fishing fleets over the world
And of course before you buy a thorough inspection  survey. Id even go further and suggest you learn about the survey process yourself.
In the end if something comes up a survey report is useless and the last thing you want is to get involved in some legal battle.
Rely on it only as a possible source of information its up to you to judge the soundness of the vessel in the end.
Get a mechanic to  really inspect the engine and ancillary equipment, pull the head off if necessary or at least insist the engine be trialled as well as the whole boat to discover any problems.
 Beware the fixer uppers and unfinished projects  invariably its going to cost you a lot more than you  could have foreseen.
Do a rigorous costing and don't pay a deposit until your fully confident that the work is achievable in a reasonable time.
Even then add 20% for eventualities that will  add up.
Research your projected expenses in maintaining the vessel , what will it cost to  moor her, or to use slipways for de-fouling
Be realistic in your own skills too can you do the work required for maintenance, really or will you need to hire workers
Check out replacement costs for major equipment
A trawler  or purpose designed vehicle would have advantages if you had a target or for general salvage work of course
nothing better than a purpose designed vehicle  for lifting and heavy work but there are issues that steer me in favour of the above boat.
Even if you dont find a trading vessel loaded with rare china or trade goods you will have adventures.
Anyway that's a few of my own thoughts, you've made me think of selling up and buying this boat.
Its good to dream at least

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6157.msg96207.html#msg96207

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

503_360dekgeh1.jpg
503_360dektafel2.jpg
503_lg_beroeps_Catherina.jpg

Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 10:00:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

So, what's the update? You get a ship to salvage from? It's exciting to think you might have the chance to.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6157.msg97010.html#msg97010

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 06:53:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That flat bottom specification sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe ok for flat lakes or relatively calm waters.

jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6157.msg97169.html#msg97169

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 08:06:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all

Depending on the nature of what type of project you are doing. It could be a much cheaper option to charter a vessel for the time spent at sea. Over the years I have charted a few vessels for a set time frame. Under a charter agreement that allows you to budget the project in regards to costs.

How I work I have a parent company that makes money from other sources and the money taxable profits are diverted into my resaerch projects in which I claim as a tax right off. it gives me some scope to fund my research and write it off my taxable income.

I do not have ongoing maintenance costs, mooring fees, vessel insurance costs etc...Having a vessel that is not being used for many months will cost you money too. Even when they are are idle at anchor.

Just an alternative option that might give a better bang for your buck  Wink

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6157.msg97843.html#msg97843

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 03:41:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

HI   ALL
 Its nice to Se someone looking into a treasure recovery Boat.
 Christian , its also nice to have Cornelius to help you out also. Edenoz made some good points as far as a recovery boat goes, I like a boat with sails also:)
 Here in NewZealand you can get a mooring quite cheep. Its proberly more expensive in most other parts of the world. but still a cheep way to live. Id love a boat with all the gadgets on board...   Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6157.msg97908.html#msg97908

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: