[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline salvor6Topic starter
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:58:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

On another forum someone posted that there are several teams actively searching for the Flor. One team already has a permit from the Indonesian govt. Anyone hear anything about this? Also the noted Portuguese archaeologist Paulo Montiero claims there is nothing left on the Flor. He says documents in the archives in Lisbon Portugual say the locals already salvaged the wreck.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8895.msg55913.html#msg55913

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:50:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

The coast where the Flor do Mar sank is very muddy . Visability is near zero . The Flor broke in two . Both halves quickly would have been covered  with mud . Within a few days both halves would have sunk in the mud . If you ever have worked at the mouth of a river  , or close to it , you must agree that there was no time for a proper salvage by the locals . I do not think there is anything in any archive about salvage by the locals . I never could find anything hinting that way . It was a political move by the Portugese to keep everybody away from the wreck .They way have wanted to do some salvage themselves in better time to come . However better times never happened . At the moment Michael Hatcher  ( the same one that salvaged the Chinese Junk and ran off to Singapore without sharing his loot with the Indonesian Government  ) is working again in Indonesia . He would never get a permit anymore but is an adviser for an Indonesian company . This Indonesian company ( Chinese financed ) has gotten a permit . They are watched every minute of the day so they will not skip the country again . The Flor do Mar is still there and will be found one of these days . Research has given me a good idea where she is . All I am doing now is waiting for the capital to go after her .   Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8895.msg55931.html#msg55931

Offline TonyWells
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

460.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

U/W Metal Detectors
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 12:26:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Salvor6,

I know that Michael Hatcher was searching for it last year but stopped due to lack of funds. Yes, his company did have a permit and that just goes to show you that MONEY talks in Indonesia and just about anything can be done as long as you have 'deep pockets'. Hatcher has a new permit and is about to salvage 'what he claims to be' one of the largest lost cargoes of Chinese porcelain that has ever been lost at sea to date. He still travels around Indonesia freely and can get away with actually being on site and working any wreck there.

The weather is not so good in Indonesia right now so I doubt that anyone is physically out searching (for the Flor) at this time. There is an account that a local king suddenly became quite rich shortly after the Flor sank but that could have been due to any of the following reasons;

a) He did recover 'some' of the items from the sunken ship.
b) He got the treasure off of one of the other ships whose Javanese crew mutinied and killed all the Portuguese crew onboard.
c) Both of the above.

There's a good chance that after the Flor sank there would have been some local divers exploring the area and recovering 'some' of the items there but there should definitely still be something remaining there now.

Cornelius,

Yes, perhaps the coast where the Flor sank is muddy NOW.. but, was it muddy 500 years ago? That's the real question here. I seriously doubt it because the Straits of Malacca and all those river mouths are really muddy now due to modern progress and erosion but they were not muddy at all and quite clear water even less then 100 years ago.

TW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8895.msg55946.html#msg55946

Offline salvor6Topic starter
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 12:10:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Tony,
     here is a picture of the Flor that I found on the internet. I find it strange that is shows the Flor intact when contemporary accounts said the ship broke in two. If it broke in two and sank, how did Alfonso survive? The ship in the back is the Trinidad.

Here is an origional drawing of the Flor made in 1501 from the Portuguese archives in Lisbon.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8895.msg56459.html#msg56459

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Flor.jpg
Flor1501.jpg

Offline TonyWells
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

460.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

U/W Metal Detectors
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 03:20:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Salvor,

Is that picture supposed to be the account of when she sank? Well you can clearly see the entire ship there and its definitely intact.

Well the account was that Alfonso supposedly managed to get off 'before' she broke in half but.. who knows..

TW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8895.msg56910.html#msg56910

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 01:24:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Intriguing pictures, it does make one wonder.

As a professional artist I might offer the opinion its much easier to draw a ship whole than in pieces. Perhaps there was not enough left to draw and he took artistic license. Just a thought.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8895.msg70829.html#msg70829

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 02:12:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

That would be my guess too.  It's much easier to draw a picture of a known "anything" in one piece than to surmise it in pieces and draw it that way.  I'm also an graphic artist by trade... and some of the hardest things I have to ever come up with are the "what ifs".  Show me a picture or a sketch or a drawing of a ship, and I can recreate it in my sleep.  Show me the same and ask me to portray it sliced in half and I might spend a week not sleeping at all trying to vision how it should look.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8895.msg70832.html#msg70832

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: