[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SimpsonTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%

France
Referrals: 0

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP Goldmaxx
« on: January 22, 2009, 05:53:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I hear much good reports on the Nautilus but it is not used in Europe. Is it a BFO detector? It looks a bit clumsy? Does anybody here use it?

Regards,

Alain

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3012.msg22295.html#msg22295

Offline Americangmaxx
Pull Tab

George Tex Kinsey the Original Buttondigger
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Explorer SE, Excalibur, Nautilus, Whites TDI
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:12:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

They are VLF detectors, made like a tank. You hear both the all metal mode and discrimination mode at the same time. I have used every Nautilus made since their inception . They are super deep in soil with low minerals and have terrific iron discrimination. They are however very heavy and have several adjustments.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3012.msg22305.html#msg22305

George Tex Kinsey the Original Buttondigger

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:09:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello George,

thanks for this information. About how deep are they compared to your Minelab SE - which is also a very deep seeking machine.

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3012.msg22335.html#msg22335

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulsepower Aquastar, Sovereign GT, waterproofed Sovereign XS, Nautilus DMC
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:14:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have also had and used a few of the Nautilus detectors. I last had the DMC 2 which has the 2 sounds that George mentions. They are quite unique with the 2 different tones, one coming out each of the phones at the same time when hitting brass or other nonferrous metals. They are very popular in the US southern states at the Civil War sites. They are made in the South and therefore are tuned for the soil they have. I have tried them in the West and Northeast and they just don't do as well as some other machines. They can find a civil war lead bullet at about 8-9" deep at most, but of course some will say more. Maybe the newest models will go deeper. Not such a good beach machine either. It is a heavy machine. I had reworked mine, as I used to hunt for long hours and had to make it a hip mount detector. It worked fine and was way easier on the arm. I don't hunt the battlefields anymore, so I don't keeep up with the newest changes in these detectors.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3012.msg24740.html#msg24740

Offline dfbowers
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Shadow X5, Whites XLT, Nautilus DMCIIB, Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 06:50:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Alain,

Yes, I have been using the Nautilus DMCiib for a few years and it probably goes just a bit deeper than any machine that I have owned. There are many factors to consider though including type of soil and coil size. I have an X5, Whites XLT, Whites 5900, and Tesoro Cibola. Like others have said, it's an older design and it must be manually adjusted.  It's mostly a relic machine and I would not recommend using it at the beach, but it's the first machine that I grab when I go relic hunting. It has a steep learning curve but once you learn to set it up it's worth it.  I got rid of the stock pole and mounted it on a whites pole, which makes it usable for long periods of time.

The DMCiib also has a "coil balance" feature that allows you to perfectly balance the coil before you ground balance the machine, which gives you a little more depth, and you can fine tune the coils if they are changed.  You can also adjust the Tx power which allows you to run it hot in ground that isn't too bad.  Just my opinion, but for the price, the Tesoro Cibola gives them all a run for the money.

Don

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3012.msg24755.html#msg24755

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 04:25:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by dfbowers
Hi Alain,

Yes, I have been using the Nautilus DMCiib for a few years and it probably goes just a bit deeper than any machine that I have owned. There are many factors to consider though including type of soil and coil size. I have an X5, Whites XLT, Whites 5900, and Tesoro Cibola. Like others have said, it's an older design and it must be manually adjusted.  It's mostly a relic machine and I would not recommend using it at the beach, but it's the first machine that I grab when I go relic hunting. It has a steep learning curve but once you learn to set it up it's worth it.  I got rid of the stock pole and mounted it on a whites pole, which makes it usable for long periods of time.

The DMCiib also has a "coil balance" feature that allows you to perfectly balance the coil before you ground balance the machine, which gives you a little more depth, and you can fine tune the coils if they are changed.  You can also adjust the Tx power which allows you to run it hot in ground that isn't too bad.  Just my opinion, but for the price, the Tesoro Cibola gives them all a run for the money.

Don

What makes you say the Cibola gives the others a run for the money? Or in what ways is it better? Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3012.msg24917.html#msg24917

Offline dfbowers
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Shadow X5, Whites XLT, Nautilus DMCIIB, Tesoro Cibola
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:29:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In my opinion, the perfomance of the Cibola is close to that of many top end machines, like the X5 and the Nautilus.  The X5 retailed at over $1000.00 and the Nautilus is close to $600.00.  The Cibola retails for $340.00 The performance of the Cibola is VERY CLOSE to matching that of many high end machines. Even though it's relatively inexpensive, it's a great performer.

I have a test garden, and when I compare the machines, the Nautilus might give me an extra inch over the X5 and the Cibola, with a 10" coil if I have it set up right. For general THing, I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference.

Don

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3012.msg25096.html#msg25096

Offline JCPinCt
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

945.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 07:19:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

I notice the list of machines you have and they are good machines so I see you can back up your statement. At least in the area you are in it works that well, but some areas may effect its performance. Nice to know that about the Cibola anyway. I guess it wouldn't compare to the Explorer series though or the best of the Whites machines, but then the cost is quite a bit different. From what I have seen of the X5, what makes it a good machine is the speed you can detect with it, a great seeded hunt detector. I have an old Bandito that I used to use for seeded hunts due to its ease of use and the speed it would work at. Up here in CT., it just doesn't work as well as it did in the hunts further down the East coast. The soil or sand type has a lot to do with a detectors performance. Even with much adjusting, it often just can't change the performance level in some areas.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3012.msg25238.html#msg25238

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 01:52:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Nautilus machines are made by Jerry Tyndall of North Carolina (I believe its North Carolina)...anyhow I have used one my uncle owned and it is primarily a relic machine and has a very good sound when coming over a target...sopunds sort of like a train or something like that. The one I used was a DMC 1 with dual sided signal ability...ferrous items in one ear and non-ferrous items in the other...really unique in that respect. Folks that use this unit and learn it(And it takes a while to learn it) say that they can tell what most items are before digging them by these sounds it makes. No other detector that I know of sends that dual-sided signal response to the user's ears.  One thing about the DMC 1...It would deplete a set of batteries (It uses 2 9v bats) in about 3 or 4 hours.  Here's my problem with it...I'm no fan of those 10-turn ground balances and the DMC 1 HAS one. I believe a few of the newer units by Nautilus have auto ground Bal and I'd choose this type. But, as the man above said, a Tesoro Cibola is a good alternative to these more complicated and heavier machines. I've owned 2 Cibolas and the only reason I got rid of mine was I had wanted to get a unit wioth target ID. I bought a MXT after that and used that a while...I'd rather use the MXT with its EZ ground bal. But Nautilus units are great machines and built tougher than amy detector I have ever seen...the only ones that come close to being as durable were the old Garrett Deepseekers (I owned 2 of them also-I've owned many detectors over the years). Nautilus units have Vernier controls that are sealed with wax.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3012.msg70830.html#msg70830

Offline Blackhat
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

320.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Various Pulse machines. Nautilus, Minelab, Teknetics, Discovery.
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 09:31:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

I use the Nautilus DMC 2B in Britain and all over Europe for coins as well as relics.
Absolutely excellent detector except if buying secondhand you will need to mount it on a Whites shaft as they are doing with the new machines.

I will use it in preference to the Troy X5/Tejon/Minelab Sovereign/XP's and top end Whites on most sites. Heavy mineralisation or wet salt, use something else.

It will kill any Tesoro/Minelab/XP for depth if used correctly....which is not the way you will be told to use it. If you are prepared to just use it for just ferrous/non ferrous I.D. then you can ignore the instructions not to try and overpower a site and use a high sensitivity range and maximum power through the coil (44 volts rather than the 7 or 8 of most machines). Does mean the coil has to be O.K. and the R and C coil balance controls to be set correctly.
All metal will locate targets far deeper than the machine can I.D. if you use the detector "correctly". So don't. Just sweep the coil over the target at a slow speed but not super slow. You have to experiment but when you are at the right speed you should get one click in the discrim. side of the headphones. Then dig.

No auto ground balance on any Nautilus I've seen to date. They do have auto coil balance on the Ba version but the price you pay for that is not being able to up the sensitivity in both all metal and discrimination modes. So either avoid or modify to the 2B spec.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3012.msg133058.html#msg133058

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: