[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Buck RogersTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Lobo super Track,  Garrett MHCX2
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:30:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I live in whats known as the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma.  Now this next story comes's from the Cherokee Nation to the North of me.  Years ago I met a man who was a Medicine Man of the Cherokees.  He and I became friends even though he was between 30 to 40 years older than me.  I made many trips to his house and he and I would set in his front yard beneath the shade trees and talk.  Often while I was there folks would show up asking for his medicine.  I would wait while he would go take care of what he needed to do.  He told me many stories that a lot of folks would think of as fairy tales but they were things that he believed in.  I never knew him to tell a lie.  The things he told me about I have never seen in Print any where.  And I know some of you might be interested in them.  Shoot I was enthralled with them.  But they were things that were told to me in confidence and I dont think were ever meant to be written down.  I wouldn't feel right in doing it....He died about 20 years ago and his family still live there on his old home place.  So I wont say any names on this one.......This is the treasure tale.  His grand mother dealt with Indian medicine and people were afraid of her as she might do bad things along with the good.  She was thought of as being a witch.  Now gran ma always had money and like coins not paper and buried it in fruit jars.  No one ever saw where she put it.  And folks were afraid of her enough not to try and find out.  They said she had put a curse on it.  My friend told me that he wasnt afraid of the curse as being a medicine man he knew what to do about it if it were found.  So he asked me to bring My metal detector.  (I only had one at the time).  And see if I could locate it fom him.  So I tried.  Going to his house he told me the area to look.  I asked him why he thought it might be there and he said because lightening kept striking right there.....  Well I got the detector out and began to search.  About 5 min. later the detector went dead.  I used a rechargeable battery back in those days.  So it wouldn't do me any good to got to town and get new batteries.  I told him what had happened.  He said not to worry about it as the treasure had been there along time and would still be there for us the next time.  He had a smile on his face.  I was setting in my Pick up truck and drove off.  I looked in the rear view mirror and saw him waving at me with a big grin on his face.  I thought " yea but you might not be here."  I felt sad all the way home.  2 weeks later I was set to go back up there and make another hunt and I called on his phone.  His wife answered... and I asked for him.. She told me that he had died a few days after my last visit.  The family has kept in contact with me ever since.  I talked to the wife once about the treasure.. I could see she was afraid to hunt for it and real uncomfortable even talking about it.  I was allowed one time to go in and look.  But I could see how nervous it made every one.  Now these are real nice people and have always treated me great and I had been around them enough to tell something about them.  I could see they didnt really want me hunting but because it was me they let me.... So rather than cause problems I never tried it again........ Buck

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8301.msg51990.html#msg51990

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:50:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Did the medicine man's family think that possibly searching for her money caused his death? Did you return to the lightning strike place? Thanks - enjoyed reading the tale. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8301.msg51995.html#msg51995

Offline Buck RogersTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Lobo super Track,  Garrett MHCX2
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:58:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The lighting strike was right there in the same area.  No they didnt think that hunting the treasure caused his death.  To the Cherokee who beleive in Indian medician .... the Medician man is often in combat with witchs.  And they beleived that some of his enemys had caught up with him finally.......Buck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8301.msg51998.html#msg51998

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: