[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Richard RayTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

many
« on: January 21, 2011, 11:12:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

I was reading some of the interesting stories and it brought to mind the last big cache we  found. I've found several small ones since but nothing like this and I've never told or published this story before:
   It was in late 1992. I got a call from a historic old family in Houston they knew that my wife and I hunted for lost items for a fee or split. The story was that "Grandfather" had got caught up in the doomsday movement during the 1970's and had buried a large amount of silver coins on their 5 acre estate in a upscale part of town. They had searched in vain for several years, since his passing without tell tham where he had hidden it. The house was scheduled for bulldozing and the land to be divided into smaller lots. This was thursday and the bulldozers were to arrive on monday. They had hired a backhoe/trencher and had dug holes all over the place. I listened to their details and called my oldest son to assist. Friday morning we started the hunt. I narrowed the suspect area using my experince in cache hunting and human nature in hiding caches. We made one trench with no luck, then started another. Suddenly silver dollars started pouring out of the ground and the family members dove in grabbing handfulls. We got them under control and out of danger from the trencher and began to gather the treasure.
    We searched a bit farther and found more, mostly half dollars. All total there was over 80 pounds of silver coins. It turns out that the elder gentleman had taken a post hole digger and dug holes all over the estate in order to confuse his family. He lowered bank bags into the holes close to the house (which made sense) and filled all holes in the middle of the night.
   There are a lot more details but time and space are precious. OH, we didn't even have a camera with us, so I never got a photo of the coins stacked up 10 deep and covering the hood of my truck but it was a pretty sight. We collected our cut and went home happy.
    Richard Byrd Ray

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20844.msg138300.html#msg138300

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 11:44:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Now thats some Neat history for that family and was a good mystery also. glad u helped them out.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20844.msg138308.html#msg138308

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 01:04:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great story, Richard. Neat that you were able to find the stash for them. I had a couple wanting me to look for a grandfather's 'dirt bank' once, but I didn't have a partner like you and when I was trying to negotiate some compensation, I caught them giving each other sly, all-knowing glances and figured I'd become fish bait for them, if I did find anything substantial. I decided to ask for a flat detecting fee, in advance of going there, and that killed the deal - kinda thought it might - call me ms. chicken  Smiley Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20844.msg138325.html#msg138325

Offline cache
Knight
Silver Member

NOT INGAGING IN IGNORANCE IS WISDOM
Thank you123

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4335.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow's,  X2, X2 and X3
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 11:38:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great story Mr Ray...A similar story to what I need to share with you all one day. A bull dozor in my step-sons back yard removing trees for remodeling. Family picked up around  3500.00 and I say "around" as it was spread though-out the yard and some coins may still be there? Garantee you I will be checking his yard this summer and will tell the story once I find what was'nt. I always heard storys of this kind but now I've seen it with my own two eyes. And it happened in our own backyard. (stepsons yard)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20844.msg157166.html#msg157166

Always set your detector knobs on high dedication, higher devotion and at the highest persistence

Seconds Of Madness   Monster Munch   Military Snow  
Offline Florida Keys Pirate
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 11:09:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

sounds awesome. bet you were mad that  you didnt have a camera.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20844.msg169374.html#msg169374

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: