[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 11:02:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Paul A
Anyone remember the book "Masquerade" by Kit Williams from about 25 - 30 years ago?
Basically it was a treasure hunting book with a prize, a jewelled "hare", worth ?15000 or so at the time.

I can remember one of his books - graphics was pieces of wood and there was bees  Smiley Anyway - I just read where they were having an anniversary treasure hunt in honor of that book - clues were to be in a series of botanical gardens or parks. Sue

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3541.msg28797.html#msg28797

Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab GP Extreme  / Bounty Hunter/Minelab ETrac
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 01:56:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good story Paul that Masqurade book. always intrigued by buried treasure and pirates and stuff like that .
                My experience with buried treasure happened a few years ago .  I had an earthmoving business and a couple of guys rang me up and asked if I could take my excavator to this spot and dig a deep hole for them . They didnt tell why they wanted to dig this hole and I didnt ask , anyway  after digging for half a day I had this great hole 20 ft deep out in the middle of this paddock ?   I couldnt work out why they wanted to dig a hole for nothing , they didnt put anyhing in the hole just walked around down the bottom with a divine rod .
              Then after digging this hole they got me to fill it in again . Then a couple of months later they rang me up again and asked me to go back to the same place and dig it up again . Anyway they finally told me the story .  About 300 years ago before Australia was settled by whites a ship sailed up the coast of Australia and was wrecked on an Island not far from here . The proof of the shipwreck was found and still is in the sandunes and they worked out it would take about 300 years to get pushed so far inland . 
             Well these guys said ! ( I dont know how they got this information ), that the sailors rowed to the mainland and up this creek , which is near where I dug this hole and buried this treasure . and according to many clairvoyants that they contacted and a geologists report this was the spot . The only treasure to be got is the $1000 that I charged to dig the same hole twice. lol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3541.msg28798.html#msg28798

Offline Bud
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab-XT17000/Explorer
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 05:00:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Got another one........This is kinda fun.......just so I don't have to give away too much.

In 1958 I was 14 years old. Even though we had only a windmill with water tank, a wood stove, an outhouse and an old four room house with one wire coming off a main pole at the road, it was the best of times for a kid with a rifle and a fishing pole. My Dad had been a working coyboy his whole life and the country we were in let me indulge my love of ......screwing-off and ditching school.

We went out and got a deer any time we needed it. One day we drove up this old dirt road, about twenty miles from home. Four deer ran across the road and into the manzanita, out of site. We stopped and persued them.

The opening in the brush they disappeared in was a wide deer trail. We followed the tracks for about a hundred yards, then suddenly we were walking on what looked to be an old wagon trail. About a hundred yards farther it was again a deer trail. This continued, wagon trail-deer trail, alternately for about a mile. We had long since lost the deer to an offshoot trail but my Dad wanted to see where this old road went.

Pretty quickly we were in a canyon sand wash with a small stream of water running down it. AND everywhere you looked there was a tarantula under a rock outcrop (I don't do spiders well). We slogged around a curve in the wash and there on a big flat outcropping was a small cabin. Looking at it, we thought it was about to fall over. It was leaning about five inches out of plumb. On second look (after we entered it) it was clear the builder had started with an out-of-level foundation and just went up with it.

Anyhow....Inside, the one room had a huge pack-rat's nest in the middle of the floor. On the walls, on nails were hung various pieces of clothing. If you touched them they would crumble to dust and fall. There were various pots and stuff on a shelf built into the wall and on a home-made table was a plate and cup and a few utensils. Stuff on the plate was ridged up and hard as stone. There was what look to be a small bag that the rat had ripped up and aparently scattered the contents. A round tag on a drawstring showed it to be a tobacco sack. The big draw for my Dad was a....new condition, cook stove. Though there was no water piped to it, it was the type that has a water pipe running through the fire-box and supposed to go to a sink or tub for hot water.

We exited the cabin and walked toward the sand-wash. On the far side was a hole in the rock face. It was about five feet high and six feet wide. A stream of water was coming out of it and going down the wash before sinking into the sand, about a hundred yards away. We could see that rocks had fallen from the ceiling of the ....mine. Had to be a mine??? Dad did not want to enter it and I was glad.

We headed back to the truck and eventually did what I figured we would. Nothing would do my Dad but to take tools and dismantle that damn HEAVY stove and pack it out. It served well until we moved to a house with a 'gas' pipe running to it.

Here is the deal; Years later when I started thinking 'Lost Treasure', that old cabin haunted me. You have a cabin, in known gold country, that someone hauled lumber to build. Cooking utensils and a stove were hauled in. The nearest town the stove could have come from was forty miles away in the 1800's. A mine was dug by hand by one or two men. My thought is; sombody thought a lot of that hole in the wash wall.

It occured to me much later that we did not see a corral. Although the wash and flat canyon floor went on, behind the cabin, we didn't look. There had to be a corral of some sort. If we had found it, would we have also found an old wagon and a horse skeleton? If we had entered the mine, would we have found bones under a rock-fall? Did the miner go to town and get in a gunfight? It was definitely in the middle of Indian country. Did they get him? He certainly would not have just driven his wagon away and left everything as we found it. Everything would have been useful somewhere else.

This is a lot of 'food-for-thought' but I can't see it any other way. In this long interim I have found what I KNOW is the correct road and what I think is the canyon on a topo map. I have finally retired from a long life of providing for my family. My wife retires in a year. It is about time to do some looking around.

This is all true. Hope you enjoyed it.

Bud

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3541.msg28840.html#msg28840

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:07:41 pm by Bud »
Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 04:11:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Bud
             Hope you find that old house again sounds like you might be onto something there you never know your luck until you investigate .

I stumbled onto something this-afternoon, I remembered years ago when I was a kid the family used to go to this place ( about 1/2 hours drive from home ) we sort of thought it as a country drive . well there was a popular swimming hole in the creek , only about 50 ft wide and about 5 ft deep  at this spot we used to swim in .

Years later I moved house not far from this place and for years Ive been going over this bridge right next to this water hole not thinking much about it .  Hang on ! hundreds of people have  swum in that waterhole for as long as I can remember , although they dont now, there is a nice little park there .  So I went down there today and to my supprise there is a sign telling the history of a cobblestone bit of road still there . That in 1823 this spot was the creek crossing from the first colony to where  is now the capital city about 30 miles away .

The sign goes on to say that this crossing was very treacherous  to cross at times especially with the tidal flows and many accidents happened here,  also it was a main road for Cobb & Co coaches.  it was a much traveled road  until a new bridge was built in the 1930s       And that was the waterhole weve been swimming in for 186 years !

GEES THERES GOT TO BE A GOLD COIN AROUND THERE SOMEWHERE ?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3541.msg28857.html#msg28857

Offline garychisholm
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

water and land fisher
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 09:29:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

One of my best hunts was on one  summer day I visited an old friend who had been retired for many years.  He let me know about his missing wedding bans he had lost on his property.  Well I told him I would be over with my both of my 1280 fishers and take a look.  I thought it would be me who would find the rings.  After a visit with coffee and cake we went out and he found it.  I was amazed,  this guy was in no shape for bending over.  I saw him on one knee digging away and there he found a lost ring he had lost 4yrs ago.  I guess he had been digging up dandylions and the ring had fallen into a root hole.  I got him out of the dog house that day. He bought dinner for us all that day.  This summer there is one more ring to find.  He thinks the driveway is now over laping the grass.  We will take a look anyway. Rider

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3541.msg28910.html#msg28910

Offline Bud
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab-XT17000/Explorer
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 09:39:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Aussie,

Looks like you will be in the market for a wet-suit and an underwater detector.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3541.msg28911.html#msg28911

Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 01:45:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yep wouldn't mind an underwater detector just got an ETrac the other day .

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3541.msg28920.html#msg28920

Offline Bud
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab-XT17000/Explorer
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 09:54:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Aussie,

Just for the heck of it, go see 'MinelabOwners.com' Emulator downloads and zip-files for machine use practice and set-up. Also, get Andy Sabisch's new book,  'The Minelab EXplorer & E-trac Handbook'.

You'll thank me later.

Bud

P.S. Hope they don't delete this. 'Finds' sure would

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3541.msg28977.html#msg28977

Offline aussie
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 03:56:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Got both of thoes Bud  Thanks .   
                                         Remember I told you about that crossing for 1821 well I went down there this-afternoon with my new ETrac .     The creek  was in flood for the last couple of days but it has dropped down again but it gouged away a-bit of vegetation and topsoil just leaving the gravely bottom  .  Most of the find was down about 10 inches under gravel , havent hit bedrock yet .
                          So far Ive got 3 copper pennys ,2 x 20 cent pieces ,2 x 5 cent pieces ,2x 2 cent pieces ,1 x 1 cent coin, 1 brass button ,2  x lead sinkers ,1x axe head and several other bits of copper just in an area of about 30x30 ft .  I had one hole that was driving me crazy , I was getting so many different signals at once I didnt know what I was digging up , it turned out one brass button about 10 mill round ,one lead sinker, one copper 2 cent piece all in one hole at 10 inches .    That creek bed is so hot with signals anywhere I point my detector I get a sound I think some of it is better than 12 inches ,  and there is about 6 to 8 inches of running water over that  so its not too easy to dig and retrieve my finds .
                          Im very happy with my finds so far it looks a very promising site, might get that gold coin yet .   The copper pennys stopped circulating in 1966 and they came out of the sand looking like new. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3541.msg28980.html#msg28980

Offline Bud
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab-XT17000/Explorer
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 11:39:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

That is so great, Aussie. You will be a lot older than you are now, before you clean out that spot.

Good luck and be careful in that water.

Bud

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3541.msg29208.html#msg29208

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: