[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: October 05, 2009, 07:27:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Everyone

Here's a yarn I once heard from a stranger. Is it true I do not know.

The hot humid bar with the overhead fans spinning like aircraft propellers at the Madang Yacht club in PNG gave very little relief. It was the hot time of year and it was unbearable. You lived in altered states, where sleep, awake and dreaming became one. Sweltering in a hot and steamy humidity.

In my early morning stupor of loss of sleep and alcohol I looked around through my blurry eyes breathing the air full of water and wondered how did I end up among the usual group of sorry excuses of humanity.

Madang at that time and place was one of places in world were you would meet all kinds of people from far away places you never heard of. There were miners, military personel, Drillers, ex mercenaries and kinds of messed up bureaucrats all with a story to tell

It was commonly said it you stuffed up in life once too often and had no place to go, no place to hide. Madang was the place to be. It was in this surreal world of early morning hard core group of misfits where the stories got more exaggerated as the alcohol flowed .

An Middle aged man with white receding hairline with face as burnt as brown as native stuck out his hand to shake mine. With a sly grin he reveled his impeccable white teeth. He introduced himself with an New England Accent commenting on the heat as the sweat poured off his forehead.

Dennis from Connecticut was an American Geologist sent out to Papa New Guinea for an American Mining company in the highlands. Being a driller, the topic started from gold mining and drifted treasure hunting as such.

Dennis in his good humor laughed at my mention of life's missed opportunities. And he asked me a riddle "When is a treasure not a Treasure" I must admit I looked at quizzed and suspicious at the his strange enigmatic question.

He grinned like the Cheshire cat and told me the following tale.

As a young man studying for collage, he under the pressure of his parents in his study needed a few days off. Being late in autumn he went with his dog to spend a couple of days staying at one his parents friends cabins on a beach somewhere near Cape cod.

He roamed the deserted wildly storm lashed beaches with his dog running around a his heels taking in the cool salt air of the gray Atlantic. His dog a golden retriever fetched anything he threw as he walked over miles of deserted beaches.

The therapy worked and wind and salt air had did their thing. He and dog explored and beach combed along the coast. On his last day he discovered a low embankment where the wind and waves had washed the sand away. In this embankment was a small niche where there was the remains of a cotton leather pouch. on picking it up it fell apart. About 100 little clay balls fell out.

What were they he thought perhaps some old fishing sinkers? he scooped them up and placed them in his pockets and continued his walk. In his idleness in walking along the water edge with the dog running after seagulls, he started skipping the clay balls like a flat stone across the water. Until most of the clay balls had gone.

Utterly refreshed from is autumn break. He returned home with a fresh vigor to study. In sorting out his clothes for the washing, the two remaining clay balls fell out and rolled alone the floor. He bent down to pick them up and realized one of clay balls had broken in two revealing a Ruby inside.in panic he broke open the other one and revealed a diamond.

For a moment the gears in his head put two and two together and he realized in horror the flash back of him casually throwing away nearly 100 clays balls into the ocean.

So you see Dennis said me in voice of bitter irony "When is a treasure not a treasure? When you are not prepared to look!"

And with that, he winked at me and disappeared into the crowd of misfits drinking at the bar.

Hardluck.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8419.msg52711.html#msg52711

Offline salvor6
Mod
Silver Member

Pirate of the Martires
Thank you13

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3537.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquapulse, Fisher Proton 3 mag, Pulse Star Pro II, Humminbird 1198 side scan sonar, AK-47
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 09:52:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

That was a good story Hardluck. Reminds me of the old man that was skipping these flat stones across the water that he found on the beach. A passer by looked at the stones and said they were not stones but Spanish pieces of eight. The old man said he must have thrown about 100 "stones" out! A treasured memory is not a treasure.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8419.msg52724.html#msg52724

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:18:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good stories. You write a nice piece, hardluck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8419.msg52728.html#msg52728

Offline BackAtcha
Bronze Member

Avast, ye pirates!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Independent Rouge States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Cobra Beach Magnet, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:11:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

I guess treasure is all in the eye of the beholder, and you have to be able recognize it.  That's a sad story! Cry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8419.msg52734.html#msg52734

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: