[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline budlangTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab, Tesoro Lobo, Bounty Hunter
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:01:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

I recently bought the entry level Teknetics detector hoping to get my wife interested in the hobby.  It is very light and she has a shoulder problem so I though it would be good for that reason.  The digital read out is clear, giving number ID, three sound ID, visual ID and depth reading.  But, when I began to use it, so I could encourage the wife, I was really disappointed.  I found it to be very unstable.  I have several other detectors and have been detecting for several years so I'm not a newbie.  The detector give false signals at the end of almost every swing.  It can't seem to settle on a sound, number or visual ID unless the coin is out in open directly under the coil.  It jumps all over the place in each ID category.  Sound IDs overlap, numbers seldom settle in one place, and visual ID jump back and for between the icons.  Yes, I know to check sensitivity levels and other things that might effects these readings but I could never get this thing to quit jumping around even though I spent several hours with it in the field.  Yes, I read the instructions and it didn't help. I don't know if that is characteristic of the upper level products but I've wasted my money on this one.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16727.msg107155.html#msg107155

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 05:28:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I moved this topic to its own new one so you'd get some attention to this issue. This is probably not the answer but let me relate a funny story to you.

A friend was detecting and getting all sorts of false signals that annoyed him beyond belief. She called me over to help figure out the problem and I had the same trouble. The machine was a top of the line White's and should have been much more stable. It was, in its defense, as super deep seeking machine.

After several false starts with it, I moved over to a spot I had just worked and was certain was clear of any other metal bits. It stabilized immediately and actually found a very deep silver dime which I'd missed. She came over and the instability started again. Jokingly, I asked if she had a metal pin in her leg or something. She laughed as I ran the detector over her feet and leg. Zing! I had a huge hit from her shoes. They were simple flats, very comfy, and nothing special except - a metal piece in the sole that ran from the toe to the heel. When she removed her shoes, the instability vanished. Seems the edge of the coil was detecting each shoe in turn as it passed by the toe area.

Now, I'm not saying that's the problem here with yours but try this. Examine the area where the coil wire goes from the coil to the metal part of the shaft. If it's wobbly, tape it down in a straight vertical direction from the coil to the shaft. Don't wrap it in a coil around the shaft until after it gets at least 6 inches from the coil. Sometimes, new machines which are very sensitive can induce errors when they detect their own coil wire. Each wiggle as you sweep the coil can cause an irritating false signal. It takes only a whisker of movement to cause that. I use Velcro(tm) computer wire organizing straps on all of my machines to ensure a straight, upright wire orientation just to eliminate any potential problem like that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16727.msg107230.html#msg107230

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline dshock
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics Omega 8000, White's Prizm 6T, White's Surfmaster PI,
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:56:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

That's a good point. A lot of us wear "steel toe" shoes for work, just remember to take 'em off before heading out in the field.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16727.msg155284.html#msg155284

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 07:02:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I had a simlar experience when I started with my new f-75. It was detecting the eyelets in my tennis sneakers. That was easy to solve but part of the problem was in the detector itself and in my swing. In the static mode the detector is very sensitive to coil height above the ground. I was lifting the coil at the end of each swing. Correcting the ground balance and reducing the sensitivity solved this.  Also my cell phone gives it hell. I have one that communicates with the nearest tower on five minute intervals and everytime it does the detector goes haywire for about 2 seconds. I need to have the phone on so I just put up with it. About the shoulder problem. I have a bad one too and when it bothers me I use my 5" coil to take the weight off of it and I sweep by turning my torso rather than my sholder. With a little practice you can get good at it. Another thing that works is tying a strap with a loop to the handle grip and gripping it rather than the handle. It is not as hard on the shoulder when the palm of your hand is parallel to the ground and your elbow isn't straight. Keep the loop short and practice with it and you will get almost as good results as with the handle.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16727.msg155391.html#msg155391

Offline shortribs
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:51:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've used all the Tek's and found u are right as the lower end  was unstable and jumped around. Not so on the 6000 or the 8000 or the higher priced ones. Found in my case the 2200 and the White prizms and the 250 Garretts are jumpy somewhat so I went up to a T2 and a Gold Bug as have used a F75 and a F70 and all the fishers (f2-f4-f5-f70). My Tek 4000 was so jumpy I took it back and traded up for a 8000. jmho.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16727.msg155403.html#msg155403

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: