[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline cjcTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you37

Activity
2%

Canada
Referrals: 0

2605.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Aquasearch, (2) Barracuda (2), Dual Field (2), CZ5,  CZ21 wi/ MGMs, Excal, Sov. Elite, TDI
« on: May 07, 2014, 06:35:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

13/ Some of my Early Gold Finds and What I Learned From Them
My first gold ring was basically a “no-brainer.”  I was working a pool enclosure that had a grass sunbathing perimeter. (Who would have thought?).   The grass had one little “bay” that only had space for one towel.  I picked around in there and up came a gold signet ring with the initial “C” no less.  I pretty much ran home screaming.  Afterwards I started looking at the features of that location.  What caused that gold ring to be there?  First of all, there where the numbers--it was a busy pool in summer.  Second was the cumulative--lots of people had sat at that spot.  The place the ring came from was prime seating--it had a bit of privacy--probably it filled up first and was always occupied.  Lastly, it was a small section--there was only a couple of place to sit--people were channeled into that exact place.  
I’ve gotten quite a few e-mails from hunters who had never found any gold for years until they began to think like this.
Several weeks later (I was on a role) a second ring came up.  I was working a large area where people sit and picnic in grass.  There was good ground cover and I began to work the shaded patches of each tree.  Sure enough a small 10K “Playboy” ring came up.  Point being that while the entire field saw plenty of activity it was the shaded parts that were used the most consistently--the “super prime”--the most desirable attraction.  
Several weeks later I found a men’s ring at the sideline area of a soccer field--quite a good sized one.  Along the sideline there was a light standard and the ring was beneath this.  I’m guessing that the post was an informal gathering point--an example of something to look for--an attraction within an attraction.
 Continuing with that strategy produced several more small rings over the next few days.    
Another key point is that gold jewelry hunting is very specific.  When you see something that works at a given location--try to understand why.  Then, look for the same features at other sites.  
Any area that you work for gold needs to be assessed on the basis of how “prime” it is.  Paths are a good example.  While the activity of people just walking through does not exactly constitute a way you would expect jewelry to be lost, when you have thousands and thousands taking the same route each summer, the odds go up.  Some busy trails and paths may have potential whereas those ones that don’t connect prime attractions are not worth working.   Even when you work the less popular sites or areas of sites--work the best parts of them.
From: "The Gold Jewelry Hunter's Handbook" Finding Lost Gold at Beach, Park and Shoreline Metal Detecting Sites" by Clive James Clynick (2014)
clivesgoldpage.com

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,56743.msg275265.html#msg275265

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:41:21 am by cjc »
Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: