[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 19, 2011, 10:14:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Over the last few months I have asked by several members how me BA GD Hardluck and the others that work on our wrecking crew projects come to some of our conclusions. Will there is no big secret its just research common sense and logic. Here is a first hand story that took place today.

My brother brought a guy he works with by because he had a treasure story and need some advice on how to recover it. Here is his story followed by my answers to problem. I am leaving out the names but am sure he did not give me the real names anyway.

1. In 1999 a lone robber broke into a drug dealers house in Brownsville Texas making off with a duffel bag containing 5 million in US currency.

2. The robber fearing the dealer would connect him to the robbery hide the money on his mom's 20 acre farm outside of town  

3. A year later the dealer is busted and gets 25 years . In 2001 the robber is shot and killed by police while holding up a jewelry store. My brothers friend thinks the money is still hide on the farm.

OK lets wreck it and I did felt bad about it but hopefully I have saved this guy some time.

1. 5 million in 100 dollar bills will not fit in a duffel bag. 5M in 100 dollar bills weights over a 100 pounds do the math. 480 U S bills weight one pound. A lone robber ain't carrying that very far. If there was a robbery maybe he got off with 1m that weights a little over 20 pounds  Plus I find it hard to believe that anyone would leave 5M laying around without a guard or two.

2. There is something missing here. Why would the dealer connect the robber to the break in?  Either the sources is not telling me the whole story or he doesn't know his self. If I was going to work on this project this is where I would start.  

3. If the dealer is in jail and the robber is setting on 5M why the hell rob a jewelery store?

When they left the poor guy told me that he had been warned by my brother that the reason I was successful as a researcher and treasure was because I only deal in hard facts and logic not dreams and legends and he would not be happy with the answers he got and he wasn't. But I told him most stories have some facts somewhere in them  so if he got a chance to nose around the farm go for it there may be something there from other robberies.

Think Think Think

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26081.msg182902.html#msg182902

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:12:38 pm by seldom »

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline ghola
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 05:38:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Does kind of sound like one of the good urban legends. Enough things close enough to make a good hook. Brownsville Texas, drug dealers, large but not too large cash amount (I mean they could have said 1 - 2 -20 million. ).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26081.msg182924.html#msg182924

Offline Ris
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:05:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Check if I'm doing this wrong but,   If 480 bills = 1 pound  then 5 million in 100's = 104 lbs.
480 x 100 = $48,000

$5,000,000/$48,000 = 104.16

Still alot to carry, but doable I suppose.  Seems like alot to leave laying around though, even for drug dealer.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26081.msg183017.html#msg183017

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 06:09:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hell you might be right get me get back home and check my sources

Posted on: June 20, 2011, 05:40:22 PM
Your right Ris I was quoting from memory an old mag article I sold 20 years ago involving 50M dollars. You can't trust your memory at my age just goes to show check and double check the facts.
Now I got to call this guy and tell him LOL   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26081.msg183023.html#msg183023

Offline Renegade7
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter  Qwik Draw II
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 06:53:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In my line of work and what I have seen it wouldnt surprise me that they had that much laying aroound. They get all that money and get cocky and complacent then something like that happens. Remember in Iraq Saddams Cans of money they found, 2x2x2x2  each containing a half mil or so?

but I do agree with the logic of haveing that much stored away...why rob a jewlery store. Course nobody said they were the smartest bunch in the world

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26081.msg183027.html#msg183027

Offline Ris
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:12:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It seems like a dealer would have a mess of 5's 10's and 20's though, instead of all 100's (sounds like the movies). Maybe the high end dealers only deal with the big bills.  Has he checked out the name and background of the dealer?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26081.msg183071.html#msg183071

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:33:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I checked the name today of the dealer and he was for real but is doing Fed time so want be out for a long time. He dealt in 100 and 1000 pound deals so guess most of his payments were 100 dollar bills.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26081.msg183078.html#msg183078

Offline Renegade7
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter  Qwik Draw II
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:47:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like something I would want to stay away from.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26081.msg183121.html#msg183121

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
71%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom, your brother's friend's story is sounding a bit more plausible all the time.   

As for points 2 and 3

(2. There is something missing here. Why would the dealer connect the robber to the break in?  Either the sources is not telling me the whole story or he doesn't know his self. If I was going to work on this project this is where I would start. 

3. If the dealer is in jail and the robber is setting on 5M why the hell rob a jewelery store?)

2 is the key.    Not only is there a good chance the dealer knew the robber and at least suspected he MIGHT be the culprit but didn't have enough evidence to go after him.   On the other hand, there's no reason why he might not have the pull, muscle, and interest to keep an eye on the robber hoping he did something stupid that either tied him to the robbery or led to the loot.    Either way he could get his revenge and/or at least part of his money back.

On the other hand,  if the story teller is somehow involved, then he could be on the drug dealers radar also.    Not the kind of odds I like.   But definitely something I would file away for future use.     Also, we don't know how far the robber would have carried the duffel bag.    If we're talking out the door and around the corner and into the bed of my waiting pickup, that's something even I could do with the adrenalin flowing.   If we're talking packing 104 pounds a block or two or more, I'd be useless, but active duty military in training and/or in combat frequently carry close to that for extended periods.

So another key to success is "Be willing to reconsider your initial thoughts as more information becomes available".   Your original conclusion may turn out to be correct, or the new information may point out important holes in your original dataset that led you to invalid conclusions.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26081.msg183356.html#msg183356

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 04:57:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I got a call into a friend that is with HLS in Brownsville hopefully he can fill in some holes  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26081.msg183361.html#msg183361

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:00:16 pm by seldom »

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: