[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 07:31:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

The 1916 Buffalo in the pic is my sixth in just a little over a year that I have been MD, five in the woods and my brother gave me his, this past summer. I ruined my 1927 one with electrolysis (never again to use electrolysis on nickels  No no!). Yet, they are as elusive to find as gold jewelry. I agree that backyards may give them as well as rolls. Another possible source are old schools yards. In Chicago is illegal to trespass schools when they are closed  Angry Good luck to all. Homefire, I'm still to find a real buffalo  Grin . Robroy getting wet with a water MD is fun. Look at how much fun I had MDing in Los Cabos, Mexico. Ooops! I forgot to bring my Tesoro Sand Shark with me.  Grin

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27675.msg196515.html#msg196515

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Picture 190.jpg

Offline pulltabmillionaire
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

60.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

bounty hunter pioneer ex
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:33:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice finds. The medal is cool , but the buffalo nickel is cooler.
 I found my first buffalo nickel this year. I was MDing with a group of friends and was headed back to meet up with them swinging away even though I kept seeing signs of fresh plugs. At the base of a large tree I got a good signal in one of these freshly replaced plugs. 2 trowels full of dirt later a 1935 buffalo nickel lays in the hole.
   The guy that dug it the first time said he hit a tree root and gave up. I offered it to him but he said you found it, it's not mine.
   Have you cleaned that nickel or do you have better dirt in Chicago , I'm just a couple hundred miles east of you and older coins come out of our ground with a red coating.
   I hope your weather gets better (somewhat for you , but being east of you I get that same nasty rain , I'm having metal detecting withdrawal symptoms. I never thought I'd need an underwater detector in my area...)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27675.msg196539.html#msg196539

Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 04:32:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by pulltabmillionaire
Have you cleaned that nickel or do you have better dirt in Chicago , I'm just a couple hundred miles east of you and older coins come out of our ground with a red coating.

Good dirt in Chicago for sure (full of treasures  Wink). Now, seriously, yes I cleaned the Buffalo in a rock tumbler for a couple of hours. The red coating is just a false patina that can be removed in a tumbler.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27675.msg196540.html#msg196540

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: