[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline daddioTopic starter
Copper Member

The more you dig, the more you'll find. Dig it.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

265.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT - Tesoro Lobo - Tesoro Golden umax
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:36:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't have any pictures yet, but my son, his girlfriend, my 8 year old grandson, and I found a bottle dump, a big bottle dump! At first we thought it was just a small mound, but it turned out to be a big one that looked like it was a big hole that was filled, then covered with a layer of dirt, then more was dumped. We went down to what we are pretty sure was the bottom. The pile was layered by decades, with the bottom being the '30's. We tried to use the metal detectors, but there was too much metal junk to do that. We brought home about 1 50 bottles that were undamaged. Most of them were catalogued online so we could find out what, when, and where about all of them. The best find was a '30's olive bottle that was made with the light purple glass that is full of bubbles, wobbles, and other imperfections. We targeted each of the soda pop brands and found at least one of each bottle, Coke, Pepsi, and 7UP, as well as a bunch of local brands. On top of everything glass, we found a '42 dime and a '45 quarter. The coolest metal find is a cylinder shaped "thing". I thought it looked like an old tire pressure gauge, but since it was in the '30's layer we weren't sure. After my son soaked it all night in peroxide (his idea) and then scrubbed it off, he was able to find a name and patent number. It is a tire pressure gauge from the early '30's and it is very cool. We found enough silverware to make a setting for 4. One layer we found had been burned, and all of the glass was melted together. I kind of got mad at the people who burned it because it ruined all of that treasure. I will get some photos on here as soon as possible.   

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15616.msg100302.html#msg100302

Shut up and dig!

Offline Bugar
Silver Member

IF IT BEEPS=DIGIT
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Scorpion,Garrett Master Hunter,And Garrett Scorpion #2
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 05:43:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey wer'e all keyed up ready for those pics Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15616.msg100305.html#msg100305

If It Beeps=DIGIT

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 10:21:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Kiss love old dumps  Kiss

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15616.msg100338.html#msg100338

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

265.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:20:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It's like pulling teeth. My son went back to a site we found 2 years ago and found a gold clock, very small, and a civil war button today and now he can't sit still long enough to take the photos. So we're going to the site tomorrow. This is in Colorado so Civil War items are weird. I had found a 50 ca. ball bullet from the Confederate arsenal 2 years back and we were stumped. Now we are really wondering what's going on.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15616.msg100447.html#msg100447

Shut up and dig!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:58:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by daddio
It's like pulling teeth. My son went back to a site we found 2 years ago and found a gold clock, very small, and a civil war button today and now he can't sit still long enough to take the photos. So we're going to the site tomorrow. This is in Colorado so Civil War items are weird. I had found a 50 ca. ball bullet from the Confederate arsenal 2 years back and we were stumped. Now we are really wondering what's going on.

Couple of possibilities come to mind...1) the Colorado Volunteers were a lot more active than most people realize (

Please Register or Login

http://www.colorado.gov/dpa/doit/archives/civwar/civilwar.html
)  and both sides frequently used material captured from the other side or recovered from the dead of both sides
2) the finds could be post-civil war lost during a period when former soldiers of both sides, but especially of the South had little left but what they wore or could carry on their backs and made it do until they could be in a position to afford newer and better....including re-using buttons.

Looking forward to seeing pictures

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15616.msg100453.html#msg100453

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

265.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 06:55:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

We went back to this site yesterday. We hadn't even made it into the park yet when Ranger Rick comes up and says we better not be planning on metal detecting in his park. I told him he was mistaken and that it is legal in every park in this city, Colorado Springs, to metal detect. He said that we weren't even allowed to leave the trails made of cement anymore because we would damage the environment. He then said that 1 1/2 million visitors come to the park every year and if everybody was to walk off the trails the entire park would be ruined. I stuck to my guns and said we had every right to detect responsibly and that we were not new to tis thing. I have been active in a treasure hunting club for over 21 years and know what I'm doing. Just to calm him down, I used some "green speak" for him and said we were environmentally aware and would leave no footprint. It calmed him down. He said there were some invasive plant species in the park and that if we walked through them we might pick up seeds with our shoes and socks and spread them. I said that I knew there was Spurgeweed growing there and that we were aware of it. He calmed down some more. Then I said we were actulally just using the walkway to get to the site which is actually off the park premises and in the area of he neighboring property. He said oh gee then everything is fine with him just as long as we didn't dig in the park and walk off the trails.

You all need to be aware of the laws BEFORE you go to a site. Most of the time the "authorities" have no clue to the laws governing metal detecting and will err on the side of arresting you rather than messing up and letting you get away with something they aren't sure of. Because I had gone to the City Hall to research the legality of detecting in the city parks, I was a step ahead of him. The greenies be damned. There is not a single law (yet) about leaing the trails, digging in any park, or forbidding detecting, and until there is, no matter ow green their attitude is it is never an excuse for dodging the law they are supposed to be upholding. Most of the people busted for detecting get off once they go to court because the judges will ask what law the person was arrested under, and the rangers never have anything to back up the bogus arrest. If you are sure of what you are saying and doing, don't be a dick about it, but stand your ground, beg to disagree with the park ranger or the flunkies they hire for the summer, and do your thing.

So we hit the spot yesterday and found one or two interesting items including some weird looking holder for what we think might have been a thermometer or some other mometer that was silver plated. By the way, everything we found was from London, England. We had figured before that the area was where the artisans building a mansion (castle) for a former London hoitie toitie woman whose husband was a city founder, and she insisted everything be authentically British. So the artisans came over from England and brought their English items with them. We found 2 tobacco tins that were for British tobacco and many other items from there, but most of it was junk. Once again, photos when my son gets them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15616.msg100751.html#msg100751

Shut up and dig!

Offline Timberking
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GTI 2500
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 01:33:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There is just "something" about a bottle dump that gets me fired up,LOL. I just gotta take a look and see what I can find!  Nice post BTW  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15616.msg100887.html#msg100887

Timberking......

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

265.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well my son took the pictures, but rather then transferring them to me, he started his own account. As soon as he sends me his user name, I will link to those pictures.
OK, I got my son's user name and he has posted the bottles on his page. The link to it is:

Please Register or Login

http://thunting.com/smf/your_bottle_finds/heres_the_bottles-t15694.0.html;msg100718#msg100718

It's a long one, but if you left click on it, highlight it, then you could just put it on your search or url address line and it will take you to the page with the bottle photos.
Oh good. It came up as a direct link so all you have to do is click on it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15616.msg101153.html#msg101153

Shut up and dig!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: