[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Lee redpathTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

785.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Laser B2
« on: August 15, 2010, 11:15:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all got a new site to do had a quick look for half hour today Found lots of old looking potttery n stuff laying about this 1 piece i found has some colour on it and looks OLD its about 2 1/2mm thick any ideas if its old anyone?? Anyways these 2 bullets were my first finds apart from what looked like half a plough! lol Are they safe to keep as they are? In previous posts i remember speaking to johnnn about live bullets and that they should be made safe. Do i need to perform anything on these to stop any disasters happening cos my luck not all that good especially with explosive things lol. Ill post pic of the pot fragment or tile maby? and the bullets. Cheers. HH   Lee    Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17159.msg110421.html#msg110421

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Bullet blanks.jpg
back.jpg
front.jpg
size.jpg

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:20:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've been around firearms all my life.   To me, there just fine.  Some people Wig Out when they find them. LOL.   Don't go smacking them with a hammer. Ha!

I have never seen those cartridges before.  They look like they may be for a nail gun or the like.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17159.msg110443.html#msg110443

Offline seargeantjim
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:24:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Blanks are alot different than normal ammunition, a blank uses a white (almost soap flake like) propellant compared to actual powder. Also the end of the blank is "crimped" which means the end is kind of folded in to keep the powder inside, not waterproof however. However to stay on the side of caution always treat it as dangerous. It wont go off until the primer itself on the end is punctured, but even then I doubt it would go off. What you do with it is up to you, and im sure if you turned them into your local PD they will have no problem taking them off your hands for proper disposal.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17159.msg110444.html#msg110444

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

785.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Laser B2
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:17:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi ppl i have spoken to someone about these and have explained what they are and look like. Apparantly years ago they used to scare the birds with a bang and the cartridges were made of cardboard and didnt like the rain so when it rained they got damp and didnt work so these could possibly be a replacement for the cardboard cartrages they used. This is not a 100% certain tho so if anyone else knows for certain let me know. Ill just keep them safe cos it a different find for me. Cheers. HH  Lee

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17159.msg110455.html#msg110455

Offline Stormrider1951
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, White's VX3
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 01:53:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Looking at where you live and the tapered case and rimmed case head, I'd guess those are Briitish .303 Enfield blanks.  You might know for sure if you can read the stamping on the base.  I couldn't make out what it said.  Regardless, they are probably "dead" but there is no way to know for sure.  I'm not sure how extreme your laws have gotten over there so check to see if you are in violation just based on possession.  The bottom line is that any common ammo or blank is not going to go off all by itself.  It takes having the primer struck or maybe putting it into a fire.  If you want to, or if your laws are such that you can't own ammo in any form, You could partially uncrimp the case mouth carefully, dump the powder, and then squirt some WD-40 inside.  The WD-40 will kill the primers.

John   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17159.msg110458.html#msg110458

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

785.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Laser B2
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 12:51:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

They have a "G" on them and possibly an "A" on the opposite side one one of them. I have looked and found the makers were possibly either:-

A) G Greenwood and Batley, Leeds, UNITED KINGDOM

OR

B) GA Grenfell and Accies Ltd. Perry Barr, Birmingham, UNITED KINGDOM.

I am unsure if they make blanks but if they did what would there use be for? And has anyone got any views on the pot fragment. It looks like its maby made with some kind of pulp of some sort but i dont know for sure. Cheers. HH   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17159.msg110622.html#msg110622

Offline Stormrider1951
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, White's VX3
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 01:04:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Blanks were, and still are, used by the military for training manuevers where one obviously doesn't want to shoot real bullets at ones' own troops.  They were also used to launch rifle grenades if I remember correctly.  The grenade fit over the muzzle and the powder charge launched it.

John

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17159.msg110627.html#msg110627

Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

785.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Laser B2
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 01:34:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great Thanks stormrider thats interesting! Ill have to look into a bit of history and see if anything happened in the area. I got a good feeling about this new site i got. Ive got so much going on at the moment (family illness) that im not able to get out as much as i want to but will do a few hours in the next day or so. Thanks again!  HH  Lee   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17159.msg110632.html#msg110632

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: