[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline gambol1Topic starter
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« on: May 25, 2010, 05:44:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Used my Garrett 150 and found some clad coins and a pair of lineman's pliers. The 150 will find a penny under about 3 inches of wet sand. Falsing problems were minimum though I had to reset the machine when moving from water to dry sand. I came away with 19 cents after 4 hrs. Not very good but it was my first trip and and I had to learn how to recover with the scoop under water that is a bit tricky!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14926.msg95626.html#msg95626

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:19:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey, you proved it could be done, right?   Next time will better.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14926.msg95646.html#msg95646

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:54:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by gambol1
Used my Garrett 150 and found some clad coins and a pair of lineman's pliers. The 150 will find a penny under about 3 inches of wet sand. Falsing problems were minimum though I had to reset the machine when moving from water to dry sand. I came away with 19 cents after 4 hrs. Not very good but it was my first trip and and I had to learn how to recover with the scoop under water that is a bit tricky!

Good work. And here is another example of a detector user retuning his machine to reset the ground balance. You discovered one of the hidden features of the Garrett Ace line of machines. The ground balance is not adjustable but it does retune itself to local ground conditions when you restart your machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14926.msg95923.html#msg95923

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:17:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD. yes, the machine is  more or less useless when you go from saltsand to dry sand without resetting. This wasn't brought out too well in the garrett literature or else I missed it. I found out about it on this forum and went back to the book that came with it and looked again. like I say, nothing much was said about falsing etc. etc... I wonder how many 150 and 250 users give up on their machines because of this.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14926.msg96816.html#msg96816

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 06:13:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

I studied the Garrett patent to discover the hidden feature. I don't think they meant it to work that way but it does. To be honest, I wasn't really sure it would work until I tried it. If you turn off the power, wait a few seconds and turn it on again, it re-tunes itself to the local conditions where you are standing. Works a treat. I got a lot of flack from people here who have since sold their Ace 250 but I also have a few folks who have tried it and they all have reported that the false signals go away.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14926.msg100826.html#msg100826

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 07:56:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD, I'm still finding out things on my 250. For example the pinpoint function is kind of querkey. Sometimes you have to hold the coil up off the ground a few inches to get the pinpoint function to work. This is especially true if you are over a big target. It is as if the oscillator won't start oscillating with the coil over the target. If you start it in the air and then lower it on to the target it works fine. If you start it over a target it is blind to the target at first. I tried another 250 of a friend and it is the same way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14926.msg101385.html#msg101385

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 02:30:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

You know, Gambol1, that technique is true of almost any metal detector. When you have a huge target you can swamp your receiver with too large a signal so moving the coil away from the ground is the only way to pinpoint. As you also know, the Double D Coil is a wedge shaped pattern so you have to do an X over the target changing the orientation of the coil as well. You have both of those things against you when pinpointing.

I really like the Ace 250 even though I don't own one. I rented one for a day just to try it out and let my wife use it. She decided that actually using a detector wasn't as much fun as watching me do all the work. While I swing a coil, she sets up an easel and does some drawing/painting of scenery. Since I have more than a dozen machines in my inventory, I decided that I didn't need one more machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14926.msg101411.html#msg101411

Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 03:39:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD, That is good to know. Now I'll stop worrying about it and just try to figure out how best to use it. I'm telling myself I don't need to get into buying more machines but every time I read a review of a new machine I get the urge to try one out. I know the day will come but I'm putting it off until I get bored with this machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14926.msg101506.html#msg101506

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:58:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gambol1, even though I resisted buying the Ace 250, I really believe you can't have too many detectors.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14926.msg101517.html#msg101517

Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:22:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD, That is hilarious!!! I am somewhat into blacksmithing and collecting blacksmith tools and that is exactally what I tell my wife every time I see a good deal on an anvil. "You can't have too many anvils"....Maybe I'll sell one or two and buy me a good machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14926.msg101564.html#msg101564

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: