[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dbcoltsTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug Pro
« on: July 09, 2012, 04:20:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here a few items that my girl friend found using my Fisher Gold Bug Pro w/5" coil around the mines....that I was drywashing at. We were in a one square mile area for about 6 days. There are no operating mines....and most of the shafts and adits are blocked with barb-wire by the Nevada State Dept of Mines. We did find two mines that were abandoned....but fully equipped with rock/ore crushers, converyor belts, trommels, sluice boxes, generators, and numerous other pieces of equipment & vehicles. What was really surprising is.....nothing was shot up. I didn't find any bullet holes in anything. The Monarch has been shut down since 1991...as that is the paperwork date of ore testing that I found scattered all over the floor of one of the buildings. What really surprised me was the huge antiqueted "dry-washer" on-site. The other one had all the old vehicles....but the windows were broken out.
My girlfriend....worked the mine tailings....washes that went through the property....and the large open pit....NO GOLD!! But a few trinkets, pictured here. Oh...I forgot, she did find a hatchet head...that didn't get photographed.

Posted on: July 09, 2012, 04:06:00 PM
Oooops!! Forgot the items she found. Here they are. What is the buckle from? Its cast steel. The glass is purple in color, and found near an old cabin. The Remington UMC 10 gauge shotgun shell base was found at the entrance to the pictured mine adit. Here are some other pictures....of the two mines and some of their antiquated equipment.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37049.msg227839.html#msg227839

There are 12 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DSCN1905.jpg
DSCN1975.jpg
DSCN2011.jpg
DSCN2015.jpg
DSCN2071.jpg
DSCN2080.jpg
DSCN2091.jpg
DSCN2092.jpg
DSCN2093.jpg
DSCN2104.jpg
DSCN2116.jpg
DSCN2235.jpg

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 12:12:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Looks like a great place to hang out and explore.  Even to just get away from the rat race for a while!  Congratulations on your finds.  Great pictures, too!  Thanks for sharing them.

Oh, yeah!  Welcome to the forum from the Blue Mountains of northeastern Oregon!  Good LLuck and keep us posted!                 Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37049.msg227857.html#msg227857

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:20:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Pictures are worth a 1000 (or more) words. Sheila and I get out almost every weekend....and we always take pictures. Once we're in the "rocking-chairs"....all we've got is memories and those "pictures" we took. LOL! When I was in the antique gun business....Research was my thing. Now, I've found out that history and gold go "hand-in-hand" with a little research. And the internet has sure made that easier. So, I've been finding gold from the very 1st time that we've gone out over the last 3 months(except for this last weekend). And, after much thought....as to why we were skunked.....I have a feeling that the open pit hard rock mine, below where I chose to dig.....was actually fill dirt and run-off from above (from 50-75 years ago) that had settled into and ontop of the tailings that had been flattened off.
Yes....we have the "BUG"!!  Crazy
And of course there are these great natural rock formations that facinate us, wherever we go. Here are just a couple.....a 4 foot tall "arch", and a 30ft tall "chimney".
I see a lot of prospector's go up to the GPAA claim at Gold Mountain in Big Bear....every weekend. But, I was wondering if anyone goes out to the GPAA Red Cloud Claim (where these pic's were taken) Huh? I've been there about 10 times....and "the pickin's have been slim". Its only a 45 minute drive from my house in Palm Desert. If anyone wants to go out....I'd be glad to join them, as I know my way around the canyon's pretty good. Rider

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37049.msg227883.html#msg227883

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

DSCN1573.jpg
DSCN1586.jpg
DSCN1590.jpg
DSCN2174.jpg
DSCN2176.jpg

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:32:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Looks like it could still be a working mine.

Who Owns it?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37049.msg227885.html#msg227885

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 02:54:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Which Mine....? Monarch? I think its for sale. The equipment is well used-abused and out-of-date at the Monarch. The other mine....has most of the equipment and is about 90% complete. Of course....who knows the "life" left in it. I also did some research on opening a mine in Nevada....that has employees. I know California is restrictive.....so is Nevada. I went to a web-site that shows the required permits (including their cost)....and what departments you have to go through (there are over 30). The state now is geared for large companies to commercially mine. They are good in that they leave the "small miner" alone....and don't put any real requirements on us. But anyone that has an employee....now puts themselves into another category. If you have about 6 people working for you.......I added up the cost, and its close to a $300,000 in fees and licenses. There is even a $300 permit for a port-a-poty. Most of the fees are for "remediation".........the cost of a bond that enables the state to bring the property back to its original state....after the gold is gone, and the mine abandoned. Abandoned mines are a liability to the state........and there are 1000's of them. I think they are neat....and show the history of what "made the state".....now the City-Slicker's thing they are ugly.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37049.msg227911.html#msg227911

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 03:25:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by dbcolts
I think they are neat....and show the history of what "made the state".....now the City-Slicker's thing they are ugly

That or they think they are tempting safety hazards because they are too stupid to exercise due caution around them.    Can't risk anyone getting hurt, no matter how stupid the person is, so make all potentially dangerous things inaccessible to everyone.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37049.msg227914.html#msg227914

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug Pro
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 04:32:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Oh no! I just got "timed out".............there went 20 minutes of work. Yuk!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37049.msg227919.html#msg227919

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 08:43:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cool pictures of the old mine. Looks like a neat area to hunt and poke around.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37049.msg228349.html#msg228349

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 08:19:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Detecting Yes....it would be a great place to detect. If I lived in the area....I'd be there every week.....maybe even camp out. Lots of history at these mines...that are pretty much virgin territory. I saw very no signs of "recreational" prospecting/mining. And the same with detecting.....no signs of digging.
This trommel was in great condition and is at the other mine (Chukar Explorations, Inc), about a mile (as the crow flies) from the Monarch mine. In fact most of the equipment looks recently abandoned. And again, no bullet holes in anything....but, the vehicle windows are all broken out.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37049.msg228366.html#msg228366

There are 6 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

DSCN2021.jpg
DSCN2025.jpg
DSCN2026.jpg
DSCN2027.jpg
DSCN2135.jpg
DSCN2136.jpg

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 11:58:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi dbcolts

That sure looks like a nice playground you found there. On your second post there is a photo with your lady what I would like to know is that quartz in the rock where she is sitting?

All the best
Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37049.msg228377.html#msg228377

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: