[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline heathen1
Bronze Member

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

omega 8000 titan 2000
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 06:28:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for making me look like a wuss, I sit here and look at the semi-frozen ground and your out there busting 3 foot drifts to detect,hmm maybe it's time to man-up for me!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11813.msg77522.html#msg77522

Offline elfiedigger
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

FISHER; WHITES
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 06:50:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I haven't been able to detect, due to a accident , for a year now. I have found these 3 areas to be the most profitable for the winter hunt. Area 1 is ice skating. I look at the old news papers to find out where people skated prior to 1964. Then I recon to find where the changing area was. Stuff lost on the ice now sits at the bottom of the pond. The edges are still good though. Area  2  is sledding. The area might not be used now but what about 100 yrs ago. I always check the top and bottom of the hills in areas next to old neighborhoods. I have made some nice finds. Area 3 would be old ski resorts. There are lots of old abandoned ski areas. People fall, take off there gloves, lose stuff on the lifts to the top. I prefer to hit some of the areas late winter to early spring so you can actually get into the soil. Old newspaper articles are worth their weight in gold. You need to get over the thought that todays recreational areas  are where everyone always went. A beach today might have been 100 yards further down 100 years ago.  So keep in mind  that  the treasure is there but not always in area that makes sense.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11813.msg77531.html#msg77531

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 03:26:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

"You need to get over the thought that todays recreational areas  are where everyone always went."   Elfie, You got me thinking, here in Central Florida the number one recreation activity in the summer was swimming. Everyone went to the local swimming hole when it got hot. Now that the water table is 20 foot lower most of those swimming holes are half the size they were and are no longer good for swimming. All most all the springs have dried up. What an opportunity! gambol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11813.msg77723.html#msg77723

Offline elfiedigger
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

FISHER; WHITES
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 04:21:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are so right about  "getting over" the obvious. That's why I go to the library and ask for the obituaries in old news papers from May to Sept. You might think this is macarbe but I have found more real old forgotten swimming areas this way than you can imagine. People swim and people get careless and drown. I have found areas going back 175 years and found that the areas hadn't been used for 100 years or more. I live in Mass and early settlements depended on waterways  to sustain life. It makes sense then that your river banks would hold some surprises. When I hit a hotspot along the banks I take my 1280-x aquanaut into the water. Take into account water speed, type of bottom and shape of the river and how old the stuff is on the banks will allow you to get the good stuff. I had a freind take me to a spot. He found silver on the banks. So he goes straight in and finds nothing. I go 100 yards down stream and work my way back to where he is hunting. Guess who got all of the gold? My mom is in Ft Lauderdale and every year I fantasize of pieces of eight and doubloons but I will need to be up by Hobe Sound for that. On Jupiter Isle I used to find blue porcelian on the beach, before Mel Fisher found the Atocha.  I found out the Silver Plate Fleet of 1714 sank off the coast. I didn't have a detector then but missed out on a great opportunity.  For me it's all about the research now.  HAPPY HUNTING IN THE FUTURE.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11813.msg77733.html#msg77733

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: