[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ZorothepirateTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

270.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

3010/GC-1010
« on: September 04, 2011, 02:48:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ok, so I figure I need a sieve of some kind  cause I keep digging hits only to find they have moved or I can no longer find the hit  Sad  Cry . I have steered clear of the beach as some of u suggested    Clapp and am now working around a old house site up the road from me in the bush. Turned the disc down and keep getting hit after hit but can't find what ever is making the detector go off apart from the old rusty stuff that I am not interested in  :Smiley . Did find a brass belt buckle this arvo'    Embarrassed and there are plenty more signs in the area I was in, but it got to dark to see what I was digging so will go back tomorrow hopefully.
The place I am detecting  Detecting is sandy loamy soil, a few hundred meters from the beach. Will the detector still be giving false readings because it is so sandy with just a sprinkling of top soil and a lot of organics mixed through it or would I expect that with the disc turned down, I will get real hits and am just not looking hard enough for what ever it is that is causing it  :Smiley . Also, should I be turning down the sensitivity or by not running on max, will I miss deeper finds as most of what I am detecting, seems to be deeper down with the exception of just a few? 
Thanks for your help and suggestions, and as soon as I can afford to or find something worth selling that will pay for it  Cheesy  Grin  Smiley , I'll go get a proper detector instead of the chinese one I am now using.
Thanks, Z.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27342.msg193474.html#msg193474

Offline ghola
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:02:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

For the moved part get a pin pointer. I just picked up one a little while back and did not realize the difference it would make. I'm a believer now. Time trying to find some stuff dropped significantly.  I have a 250 also. Normally I'll start out about 5 on the scale in all metal mode. if I'm not getting hits I may crank it up. To many false hits and go down.  Most of the time I'll play around with the settings as I go. One thing that is tough around some old houses is the nails. I worked around an old house at my mother in laws place and I think every roof nail from every time the roof was redone was still in the ground. I ended up moving out some from the house and that helped some.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27342.msg193490.html#msg193490

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 07:51:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Zoro, ghola is right dont be scared to turn the power down, because its abit like head lights in fog
or turning up the radio too loud, by turning the gain up to high you end up bringing up the ground noise
and you will be very surprized how little depth you will lose by turning it down, this will also help you
ID targets and sepperate them also, So give that ago and turn down the power,also if your machine has
manual ground balance then practice with that, if it is an Auto GB then ground Balance it and lock the setting
if you are in a junk filled site, Hope this helps.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27342.msg193491.html#msg193491

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 11:03:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ive found with my detectors that the "ghost" signals are usually ......1. sensitivity set too high.........2. Iron in the ground like where a rusty nail used to be (now a glob of rusty dirt left over)...........3. The object got turned on its side in the hole while I was digging and isnt as easy to detect or fell deeper into the hole and can only be detected by pinpointer.  If your finding "rusty soil" in your holes, I'd say thats the cause.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27342.msg193508.html#msg193508

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

270.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

3010/GC-1010
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:13:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

I got a sieve today, a old bread delivery basket, from my local shop. It is a ideal size and weight and the wholes are small enough to catch a $2.00 coin. Might add another finer layer of mesh to it for smaller items like shell casings. am also thinking of adding 2 legs to one side only so I can prop it up on a angle for first throwing the dirt at and then also for making it easier on my back for the sieving movement, let the legs and hinges take all the weight and me just do the push pull for the vibrations for the sieve. I also need to find out more about these pin pointers that I have heard ppl talking about. Are they expensive and exactly how do they work? pity there isn't someone close by that I could go out with, who knows what they are doing so I can learn from experience. Never mind, I'll just keep digging holes till I get it figured out, lol. Happy hunting ppl, Z Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27342.msg193646.html#msg193646

Offline Hector
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

995.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 09:44:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have and recommend a CenTech pinpointer $16-18 at Harbor Freight Tools.
Once you have one, you'll kick yourself for not having one before  Great
There are also a few mods you can do to make it work "better"  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27342.msg193656.html#msg193656

Offline ghola
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1805.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 09:55:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

As to the sieve I made one a while back out of a cheap rocking toy I picked up for 6 bucks. I just used the rocker bottom and attached a sieve I made. I figured it would be easier then a single hinged sieve since I would not have to pick it up each time to add dirt. Also I can just shovel some dirt and use my foot to rock it back and forth. Or have my wife sitting by it rocking it while I shovel.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27342.msg193657.html#msg193657

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 10:11:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey you guys just gave me an Idea, what about using one of them old treadle sewing machines
or make something thats works the same way and that way it will rock to and frow at what ever
speed you want and it dont need batteries? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Hectors right be at one with your probe, hmmm that did'nt come out right  Shocked  Grin Grin Grin

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27342.msg193658.html#msg193658

Offline Robroy59
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer II, White's 6000/Di PRO SL, Radio Shack Discovery 2000
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 11:46:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the post and the update Zoro, detecting is an ever improving set of skills and tools.
Detecting without a pinpointer is like driving in the sun without sunglasses, once you have used one,
you will wonder how you ever lived without one.  I use a Vibraprobe (acquired used for $50) and a Sunray
that came with my Minelab, but just about any will do, search the forum, or youtube for info about different ones.
Hope to see pictures of finds soon.   HH Robroy59

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27342.msg193675.html#msg193675

2015 coins - 0 Dollars, 0 Half dollars, 24 Quarters, 18 Dimes, 5 Nickels, 30 Pennies -- Total $8.35
Silver - zilch  Gold - nada

Blix   Invaders  
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

270.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

3010/GC-1010
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 05:29:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The bread basket works well enough for me especially since I am on my own when detecting and I can just carry it with me anywhere I go. I'll fix a carry strap to it to make it easier to lug but till I find a better solution, that will do fine.
I have had a couple of finds so far, the best being 2 pennies and a star of david flower pendant in brass, and a brass belt buckle. Also got a piece of copper pipe yesterday, a brass sink drain without the strainer part and $1. Left behind part of a old hospital bed with the wheel still attached though rusted to the hilt and part of a old combustion stove. Also loads of capacitors or what I think are capacitors. They are cylindrical about a inch across and 2.5 inches long made from a porous cement like substance with either a copper or what I think is carbon tube, down the centre of them. I stopped digging in the area because there were just to many capacitors and they were the only strong no ferrous signal I was getting. Oh, almost forgot, I also got 4 leaches and a gass tick  Grin , Z.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27342.msg193765.html#msg193765

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:33:19 pm by Zorothepirate, Reason: typo »
Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: