[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline TriDittyTopic starter
Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and MPX
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:00:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That durned cemetery just keeps making me a happy hunter.  I went off the cut area and into the poison Ivy and got a ring and an Indian head cent this morning.

Heck, I am seriously thinking about putting those thick plastic serrated blades on my weed eater and clearing out all of the overgrown old areas out there.   I would bet that that one thirds of that cemetery is overgrown and forgotten.  I see iron crosses and what not out there that aren't even close to the landscaped areas.

Did y'all know that the Indian head on that coin is really the Lady Liberty wearing a feathered head dress?  Wikepedia knew that. Teach

Man, I sure am glad that I broke the 1900 mark with a half dime last week because I would be going nuts with the 1905 nickel and then this 1901 cent!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22029.msg153092.html#msg153092

Tri City Ditty

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

IMG_3628.JPG
IMG_3629.JPG

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter
Aluminum Can Expert and Pull Tab Connoisseur

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:09:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Your hunting a cemetery?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22029.msg153095.html#msg153095

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:10:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Congrats on your Finds , Is this on your property ? ?

I have hunted the old cemetery on my property ,

but it is a very very old cemetery that is all unmarked graves that are over 100yrs old or more. 

The only thing I found was an old silver spoon.

"Be warned Most folks think hunting cemetery grounds are Disrespectfull."

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22029.msg153115.html#msg153115

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:15:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Not the landscaped parts.... just the path next to it and some woods   I don't dig up mowed grass hardly ever without permission.

The area that I found the penny in is just woods with some old graves.  The other two were on the path next to the cemetery.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22029.msg153118.html#msg153118

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:24:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I personally won't hunt a current or recent cemetery that folks are still visiting. that's just me.

I will do like u and do outside areas walk ways and parking lots outside of the cemetery .

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22029.msg153122.html#msg153122

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 09:28:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Karl
Congrats on your Finds , Is this on your property ? ?

I have hunted the old cemetery on my property ,

but it is a very very old cemetery that is all unmarked graves that are over 100yrs old or more. 

The only thing I found was an old silver spoon.

"Be warned Most folks think hunting cemetery grounds are Disrespectfull."

Not mine but it is city land from what the locals have told me so far.  I saw it one day driving home and jumped on the chance to hunt on the old road.  After finding an old half dime I went back and asked a few of the locals who live right next to it. 

Heck, I must have seen a dozen different people go to recent graves in the front landscaped areas but I am sticking to the back.  It is getting to the point where I would not mind finding out if I can clean up that really old part just to see how it is laid out.  So far all that I know is that I don't pass my coil over the sink holes.  That would be waaay too freaky.

As for being disrespectful, I am way too superstitious for that.  I planned my searches by where cars or carriages would have parked for funerals along the old road.  It's too bad for me that the other roads were either paved or graveled. 

There is no way that I am going to wound up disturbing a grave unless it is really really old and does not follow the scheme of the other graves.  Anyway, I haven't dug more than 8 inches on any hole period. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22029.msg153123.html#msg153123

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:33:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am sure if u wanted to clean it up , there would be no objections , actually u could probably get a couple of scout groups to help to earn there civic comunity badges or whatever they are. and you would be doing a service to the comunity. Chk with the cemetery board and see what they say.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22029.msg153128.html#msg153128

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:44:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by TriDitty
  That durned cemetery just keeps making me a happy hunter.  I went off the cut area and into the poison Ivy and got a ring and an Indian head cent this morning.

Heck, I am seriously thinking about putting those thick plastic serrated blades on my weed eater and clearing out all of the overgrown old areas out there.   I would bet that that one thirds of that cemetery is overgrown and forgotten.  I see iron crosses and what not out there that aren't even close to the landscaped areas.

Did y'all know that the Indian head on that coin is really the Lady Liberty wearing a feathered head dress?  Wikepedia knew that. Teach

Man, I sure am glad that I broke the 1900 mark with a half dime last week because I would be going nuts with the 1905 nickel and then this 1901 cent!
I personally won't hunt a current or recent cemetery that folks are still visiting. that's just me.

I will do like u and do outside areas walk ways and parking lots outside of the cemetery .

Imagine a cemetery that is twice as long as it is wide on a corner of two roads.  One of the roads is not used hardly and it has bad rutts and what not.  This old road goes to a paved road parallel to the first gravel road.  The cvemetery rund twice as long along the first gravel road and it is only half as long along the very old road.  I found a few wqheaties and the liberty V nickel along that old road. 

Today I went a dozen or so feet into the woods behind the cemetery and caught the Indian head.  I could see some of the oldest graves very far back into the woods that I have not seen before.  That made me curious and I still have very little idea how it is laid out.  That made me wonder if I could clean all of that up back there.

I need to ask the locals about that but if I could find another path that ran behind the entire cemetery then it would be worth it in the end.

Posted on: March 13, 2011, 09:38:46 PM
I am sure if u wanted to clean it up , there would be no objections , actually u could probably get a couple of scout groups to help to earn there civic comunity badges or whatever they are. and you would be doing a service to the comunity. Chk with the cemetery board and see what they say.

Come to think of it, I most likely just need to ask a priest from the nearest church I can find.  I saw one a mile or so away.

Don't worry, I am more freaked out about those sunken spots in the woods than anyone who would disrespect a grave.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22029.msg153134.html#msg153134

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 09:55:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

if u do get to clean it up take pics before and after , would sure like to see it, also there are historian groups who would also jump at the chance to help u clean it up so that they can record all the history from the head stones as well.  I see it as a worthwhile project . and i am sure u would make some great friends doing it !!

Good Luck to you!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22029.msg153138.html#msg153138

Cajun Coin Hunter
Bronze Member

Aluminum Can Expert
Cajun Coin Hunter
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 11:28:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

if u do get to clean it up take pics before and after , would sure like to see it, also there are historian groups who would also jump at the chance to help u clean it up so that they can record all the history from the head stones as well.  I see it as a worthwhile project . and i am sure u would make some great friends doing it !!

Good Luck to you!!

They would have one heck of a time reading some of those old iron crosses and what not.  I did not go very far into those woods but what I did see was not marked much at all.  I guess some of them were written in paint or even chalk.  It really showed me why we inscribe our tombstones these days.

I will let you know how it goes.  Maybe I will take pics when I go back with my 10 inch coil that is in the mail since I will be running over the same ground when I return because I don't have the gutz to go too deep into those spooky arse woods..  I should be able to find a local priest by then.  Maybe I will be received well.  It will most likely be a touchy subject if I don't explain myself well enough.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22029.msg153157.html#msg153157

Tri City Ditty

Len
Cajun Coin Hunter

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: