[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 05:22:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sweet - I'd really like one! I used to like to go to greyhound races and watch those swifties run.

I keep seeing pre-decimal - sometime explain that, ok?

Nothing like some brews to bring out the best in ya - I've been pretty merry over the holiday myself. Looking forward to pictures. Sue

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10212.msg64756.html#msg64756

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:04:54 pm by Sue »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 09:03:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Sue
I keep seeing pre-decimal - sometime explain that, ok?

Decimal coinage in the UK, Ireland and Australia (among other places) took place around 30-40 years ago. Before the decimal coinage, it was a mix of Pounds, Shillings, Pence and so forth with Threepenny, Sixpence and Florins - just to name a few. It was so confusing that a visitor to those countries would simply hold out money so shopkeepers would take what they needed. The switch to decimal coinage fixed that but it also formed a dividing line for collectors and now detectorists.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10212.msg64779.html#msg64779

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 10:59:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hmm, I'd assumed it just meant before the Euro until Mike's comment. So, it had all been based on some weight before a coin became valued a part of 100?  I would imagine that the day it changed, the locals, instead of just visitors, were holding out coins for shopkeepers. Or maybe everyone traded in most all their coins for new ones before the big change. Today, you can find the old coins and they can't be traded in at banks? Their value would only be the metal value or collectible?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10212.msg64797.html#msg64797

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 02:20:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Sue
Hmm, I'd assumed it just meant before the Euro until Mike's comment. So, it had all been based on some weight before a coin became valued a part of 100?  I would imagine that the day it changed, the locals, instead of just visitors, were holding out coins for shopkeepers. Or maybe everyone traded in most all their coins for new ones before the big change. Today, you can find the old coins and they can't be traded in at banks? Their value would only be the metal value or collectible?

The Pound Sterling is currency, not weight, and the divisions of that currency used to vary in an illogical way to the decimal system. It's still the unit of currency in the UK but the small coins are now divided in a decimal fashion. I don't know about exchanging the currency today. I'm sure one of our English friends will let us know. You can't exchange pre-decimal to modern coinage at banks here in Australia.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10212.msg64909.html#msg64909

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline mikeKTopic starter
Silver Member

purrrr
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Germany

2940.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

fisher 1266 and f2
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 06:52:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

you can still change it at the bank of england,Irish coins at the centeral bank in dublin,but you would be mad to do that,the metal is worth more then its face value,for that old sixpence I would get(2 1/2 new pence) or ca 3euro cent.1 old ? was 20 shillings,12 old pence 1 shilling,so 240pennies in the pound,when they changed in 1971 1shilling (5 new pence) so it was now 100pence in the pound,its now up to Britian to go ?uro,but I cant see that happening to soon
Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
The Pound Sterling is currency, not weight, and the divisions of that currency used to vary in an illogical way to the decimal system. It's still the unit of currency in the UK but the small coins are now divided in a decimal fashion. I don't know about exchanging the currency today. I'm sure one of our English friends will let us know. You can't exchange pre-decimal to modern coinage at banks here in Australia.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10212.msg65030.html#msg65030

Offline romeo-1(CMD Exile)
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

225.00 Gold