[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline treasuremomoTopic starter
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« on: January 23, 2010, 02:23:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Detecting  I like watching Youtube videos and I watch detectorists on there all the time and it never Ceases to amaze me how folks use those little short Army shovels or small shovels with cut-off handles about a foot and a half long. WHY!!!!!!!!!  The digger (The person) has to bend over and tire his back out using these little short shovels. I used to have back aches from bending over to use the short-handled type shovels.............And then I found a remedy for that situation. I went to a Lowe's building supply and bought one of those sharp-shooter shovels with the long narrow blade and I took a hacksaw and cut off the last five or six inches of that long digging blade, which made the shovel just the right height with the blade standing straight up from the ground. Then I took the shovel and ground the cutting tip sharp and I sharpened one side of blade to help me cut chop through tough roots like an axe. Folks that's the best digger I've ever had and now I own two of them. So, go get yourself a sharpshooter shovel and do like I have done and you'll have one of the best digging tools you've ever used and your back will appreciate it......... Great

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10785.msg68602.html#msg68602

Offline ON THE HUNT
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

335.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Minelab, bounty hunter
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:28:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Lets see some pics is f it so hot.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10785.msg68603.html#msg68603

Do it right the first time or don't do it at all...

Offline treasuremomoTopic starter
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 05:49:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've never learned to send someone a pic yet.....Here's how you do it, though: Just take a narrow-bladed shovel of the type that we call a sharpshooter that has long blade that is about 6 inches wide and about 16 inches in length. Then you just cut off about five inches of the blade or however much of the blade makes it comfortable for you to step up onto it when you start pushing it into ground with your foot. You'll want to sort of round off the tip by hacking the two corners off of either side of tip of the new tip of blade. Then you sharpen the edges with a file or grinder......then just sharpen one of the side edges of the blade to hack roots with....it's a dang tough digging tool. The sharpshooter has a D-shaped grip on end of handle. This is a back-saver to me and it will be to any other detectorist who usually has to bend down so much to dig holes and recover items-- I can even retrieve most items without bending over to to it. Just scoop it out with tip of the blade and grab items with my hand. Then EZ as pie I just stick blade beside the removed soil on ground and use my foot to scrape it sideways to refill the hole. EZ AS PIE!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10785.msg68667.html#msg68667

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:09:27 pm by treasuremomo »
Offline BamaBill
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Muskeeteer Advantage, X-terra 50/70/705
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 03:19:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Its also known as a trenching shovel and I've been using one for about 2 years now (got it at Lowe's). I never shortened the blade though and I'm thinking that if I shorten it a little it might help with the overall strength. I've seen two other guys do the same over the last few years and yes, its a very workable solution.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10785.msg72549.html#msg72549

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: