[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline silver foxTopic starter
Bronze Member

My first gold noble of Edward 3rd .
Thank you18

Activity
1%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

1585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP POWER
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 06:28:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for all the help and info on the button Gozzo  Clapp Is this pictute  Great

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35770.msg218804.html#msg218804

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

S8302044.jpg

Offline Gozzo
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

740.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Gold, Whites GMT GoldMaster E - Series, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Grand Master Hunter cx11 (dead ), Garrett Ace 350  , Cen- Tech Hand Held
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:39:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Much Better I'll get the book back out again. I was wondering about the corners of the square as they make all the differnce.
I'll be back.
Gozzo

Posted on: April 04, 2012, 09:01:34 PM
Back again, Silver, see how the square isnt actually square, it has little outward flicks on the corners. If they wernt there i would stick with my original statement that its Scottish. However the book I have, has in it's words " the more important makers marks from 1697-1900 and the hallmark makers mark, date mark, used in the UK from 1554. That square with the tails is not anywhere in the book. So that would lead me to one of two conclusions, due to the fact that the craftmanship of the button is good, its not likely the maker was unknown. So it would have to either predate 1697, or be from another part of Europe I would lean to the latter. Hallmarks are awesome things that should never be over looked. as the slightest variation can make a huge difference. On the bright side even though I cant nail it down for you, I can tell you with some authority it's not common. which I hope makes it all the sweeter for you. what part of the UK did you find it in?and are you aware of any influx of immigrants to that area? as I'm now as intrigued by it as you no doubt are lol. Beutiful find mate, not only old, intact but traceable to the year and area it came from, however at the moment that is a bit of a mystery. most antique dealers could tell you in a flash what it is, how ever be careful of offers. I once found a set of tiny tongs for serving sugar, I dont recall their proper name, in a charity shop. I bought them for next to nothing simply because I liked the craftmanship of them. I took them years later to a dealer with a view to sell thinking maybe they are worth $20 which was four times what I paid. And the guy offers me a tenner, whilst swallowing a huge lump in his throat and doing a triple eyeball at the hallmark. I refused his offer and went to another dealer and asked not if they would buy them, but if she could help me ID the marks,the lass took one look, smiled said "oh my I dont believe it " they were over 400 years old, then told me they were worth at least $800 and would have been worth $1000's more but they had been repaired. She gave me $350 as she had to make a profit to. Ever since I have loved, looking up hall marks.Somebody has posted one with a boar on here, which I believe may be a regiment symbol. I have a silver cigarette case with a similar style, But it's just the boars head and it is from the " 5th/6th Bn The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders " it's amazing what those little marks tell. Sorry I couldn't give you a definite ID.
Gozzo

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35770.msg218934.html#msg218934

Dig it, you know you WANT to.

Sorry this isn't that kind of Swingers club.

Offline silver foxTopic starter
Bronze Member

My first gold noble of Edward 3rd .
Thank you18

Activity
1%

United Kingdom

1585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP POWER
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 04:51:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Gozzo  Waveing I found the silver button in Essex not far from thr river Thames  lots of immigrants came down the river to London .And rich people on the boats .I appreciated all the time and info you have give to the button , and you have my thanks . Great I dont think the button is before 1697 as of the shape is more 18 century .

s/f .

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35770.msg218957.html#msg218957

Offline Renegade7
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter  Qwik Draw II
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 03:23:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wow looks like you have something pretty cool there. Gozzo that was some awesome reasearch. Very interesting I might add.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35770.msg218993.html#msg218993

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: