[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2009, 05:49:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Rayredditch
Just weigh the bullet, if it?s 230 grains it?s a 45.
Most revolver rounds, especially those used for hunting will be flat nosed SWC or WC, or HP, Pistol rounds can be be anything again, but generally round nose for ease of loading, or HP for stopping power. the 45 HP would be 185 grains, but this is a round nose FMJ.

WRONG!

The weight does not make it a 45: 180  to 220 grains could be any 30 caliber bullet, also.

I have had 44-40 rounds with 400 grains, yet they were 44 caliber. (44 cal X 40 grains of powder)

Weight means little, only relative penetration ability. A 12 gauge shotgun slug is about 450 grains but caliber is not relative.

Measure the things, in millimeters (more accurate,) and convert to inches.

goldigger

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg51624.html#msg51624

goldigger

Offline Rayredditch
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP GMP, XP Adventis II, Whites Surf Master PI Pro Deep Diver,Fisher 1265 X, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2009, 06:24:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

True, but it is an indication, along with dia. But seeing as they?ve been fired and have penetrated wood (As opposed to entering a water tank in a ballistic laboratory), they will have deformed to some extent, even if only minimal.
So measurement (dia. plus length), and weight in grains, is about your most accurate way of determining which type of weapon it was fired from. You could of course look with a microscope on the front side of the bullet in the hope of seeing on one side loading stripes, which would then confirm it came from a pistol, but there?s only a slim chance of finding those.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg51635.html#msg51635

Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power,
Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD,
Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X,
Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023,
Viking 6DX2

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2009, 07:13:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

True, but it is an indication, along with dia. But seeing as they?ve been fired and have penetrated wood (As opposed to entering a water tank in a ballistic laboratory), they will have deformed to some extent, even if only minimal.
So measurement (dia. plus length), and weight in grains, is about your most accurate way of determining which type of weapon it was fired from. You could of course look with a microscope on the front side of the bullet in the hope of seeing on one side loading stripes, which would then confirm it came from a pistol, but there?s only a slim chance of finding those.

Yebutt! What about the loading in  an M1, what kind of marks will it leave and suppose they are pistol rounds, you are assuming autoloading, however a revolver would not have those marks.

Yes, diameter and weight, together, as long as you use Troy weight.... the regular pound (Avoirdupois,) has 7000 grains and 437.5 to the ounce, whereas Troy weight has 480 gains per oz.

Its like when Canada converted to metric, an airliner filled its fuel tanks in kilograms, they thought, but it  was actually in pounds because of the confusion in change over, so they only had half enough fuel. They had to make an emergency landing in the middle of nowhere, fortunately at an emergency airstrip. So never confuse ounces.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg51641.html#msg51641

goldigger

Offline Rayredditch
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP GMP, XP Adventis II, Whites Surf Master PI Pro Deep Diver,Fisher 1265 X, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2009, 07:30:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Weigh it using a standard reloading scale obtainable from any gunsmiths, or just take them in and ask them to weigh them ?? Not hard to do.  :Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg51643.html#msg51643

Viking 6DX2

Offline kendavidTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2009, 07:32:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Stumps always die hard, man. They don't have arms with which to grab themselves and die with drama. They just have to stand there and look down at the holes while their life drains out of them slowly and painfully. It's a cruel way to go, you can bet on that. Sigh . . .

A trunk's end is never easy, mate. Never. Exhausted

GD I know I said Brian was funny but somewhere in this Forum I said you were quick witted. If I didn't say I blame it on Ald-timers disease. Before I started this post I never even considered the feelings of this stump and now I'm thinkin' about holding some sort of memorial service for it.  Cry

Quote:Posted by goldigger
I would say  it was a good possibility...

Measure the diameter, across the base 9mm is 9mm is 0.35433 caliber, which would not be quite 38 cal, more like 36 cal.

Divide the millimeter measurement by 25.4 and you get caliber in decimal inches.

All rifled barrels have actually two calibers, the measurement of diameter, land to land and the measurement of diameter, groove to groove. A 0.303 cal (inch) is about 0.308 inch groove to groove. I only read that the so-called 9mm ammo fit the M1 and I used to have some.

As for capabilities of an M1, if you can imagine an automatic rifle  shooting virtually pistol ammo, that was the M1, super light and fast firing, but low kill ability. I am quoting, not my assessment.

The ammo in the photo is definitely not hollow point, they are too nice and even.

I bin a gun-nut since I could walk!

goldigger

Ok Gun-nut, I measured again and the round bullet measures VERY near 11 millimeters ( .443) at the base by 16.5 millimeters (.6496) long. The out-of-round bullet measures 10 millimeters at the minimum base diameter and 11.5 millimeters at the maximum base diameter with a length of 16.5 millimeters same as the round bullet.

Ray, I don't have a readily available scale to find the grain so we just have to work without it or wait until I can visit my friend in the mining business.  Cool

Maybe this will help shed a little light. I really would like to know what gun was used here for history purposes (maybe).
Thanks,
Ken

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg51644.html#msg51644

KD

Offline Rayredditch
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2009, 07:37:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Unfortunately I?m no longer in the military, and also don?t shoot civilian anymore either, so no longer have my reloading books. But any gunsmith would help you, it?s not illegal to have fired bullet heads  Wise

Great Ray

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg51645.html#msg51645

Viking 6DX2

Offline kendavidTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2009, 07:38:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Weigh it using a standard reloading scale obtainable from any gunsmiths, or just take them in and ask them to weigh them ?? Not hard to do.  :Smiley

I've never seen a gunsmiths shop here but I'll ask around. My mining friend has very sensitive scales for gold sales so I'm sure that would suffice Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg51646.html#msg51646

KD

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2009, 09:37:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldigger
Its like when Canada converted to metric, an airliner filled its fuel tanks in kilograms, they thought, but it  was actually in pounds because of the confusion in change over, so they only had half enough fuel. They had to make an emergency landing in the middle of nowhere, fortunately at an emergency airstrip. So never confuse ounces.

goldigger

I think someone is pulling your leg there Goldigger. Airports never converted to kilograms. They stayed in pounds of fuel for reasons of standardization. Still do.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg51660.html#msg51660

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 01:17:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

That would be a waste of time when I can weigh it myself, would it not?  What I am saying is *weight does NOT indicate caliber.* Caliber is the diameter of the bore! Weigh that!  Shocked

I have 180, and 220 grain .303 cal ammo, and it is NOT 45 cal. Plain and simple. You would have to use calipers and measure the diameter...THAT is the caliber and weighing the projectiles is only co-incidental.

Go figure.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg52161.html#msg52161

goldigger

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 01:26:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I think someone is pulling your leg there Goldigger. Airports never converted to kilograms. They stayed in pounds of fuel for reasons of standardization. Still do.

Airports in Canada are metric, the fuel is weighed in Kgs, no doubt about it. I am not speaking of International flights, the one to which I referred was domestic from Toronto to Vancouver.

There are a few hold-outs that still deal in pounds, but they are rare.... if I say *pounds* to anyone, now, I get a fish-eye look!

I have always used both Imperial measure and metric, at least since about 1952 (it just seems like forever,) so the so called *advance to metric* was no problem to me, like it has been to many others.

It has its advantages and disadvantages but is just as arbitrary as Imperial.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg52162.html#msg52162

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: