[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Rayredditch
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP GMP, XP Adventis II, Whites Surf Master PI Pro Deep Diver,Fisher 1265 X, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2009, 02:35:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Metric Pounds exist also, whiich are 500 gramms metric. Golddigger, get a reloading book, hell, I did,t just use factory ammo, I reloaded factory heads, moulded my own lead heads, and pressed SWC and HP from lead wire and copper jacketing, so I know just a little about bullet heads  Lips Sealed

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg52172.html#msg52172

Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power,
Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD,
Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X,
Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023,
Viking 6DX2

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009, 04:09:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Rayredditch
Metric Pounds exist also, whiich are 500 gramms metric. Golddigger, get a reloading book, hell, I did,t just use factory ammo, I reloaded factory heads, moulded my own lead heads, and pressed SWC and HP from lead wire and copper jacketing, so I know just a little about bullet heads  Lips Sealed

Ok johnny-come-lately  Shocked

You are assuming too much. In the late 40s, I watched my stepfather make his own bullets from battery lead, load his own and even let me shoot some..... I got my first Lyman book in the early 60s. One of the guys I went to school with (my stepfather's nephew) is a gunsmith. And I am  a frustrated black-powder nut.  Club

In other words, do not try to teach an old dog new tricks cuz he has probably seen them already.  Grin

There is no such animal as a metric pound, an accurate metric pound conversion is 454.54545454 grams, a regular pound (Avoirdupois) is 7000 grains or 16 oz of 437.5 grains each; a Troy pound is 5760 grains or 12 oz. of 480 grains each.   Wise

A 500 gram pound is pure BS, most of the metric pounds here, are 450 grams, and that is just as misleading, because NEITHER are official measure, just somebody,s idea of a commercial way to keep the pound alive.  Funny

10 mm +11.5 mm / 2 =10.75 mm average diameter; 10.75 mm / 24.5 = 0.43877 or 44 caliber.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg52190.html#msg52190

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 04:24:48 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline Rayredditch
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XP GMP, XP Adventis II, Whites Surf Master PI Pro Deep Diver,Fisher 1265 X, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2009, 04:41:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

True, but the metric pound is used as a pound weight in EUROPE, not in the UK, but EUROPE, and is 500 gramms metric, or a half a kilo.
I find it stupid too, but that?s the way it is, and I happen to live in Germany and travel all through the Continent. Officially it?s forbidden to use the term "a pound" in Europe", but they still do it.
Even in the UK nowadays I think it?s supposed to be illegal to use the old imperial measures of 16 ounces to the pound.
But there again, even under US and Imperial we couldn?t agree, so I doubt we?ll agree on this either,
as a US gallon is approx 3.75 litres, and an Imperial gallon approx 4.55 litres  Lips Sealed
That never made much sense either.
like .308 winchester being 7.62 x 51 Nato or .223 Remmington being .556 x 45 Nato.
Lot of names, same thing, sometimes same name, different thing (Gallons, pounds, etc.)  Lips Sealed

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg52191.html#msg52191

Viking 6DX2

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2009, 05:10:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

True, but the metric pound is used as a pound weight in EUROPE, not in the UK, but EUROPE, and is 500 gramms metric, or a half a kilo.
I find it stupid too, but that?s the way it is, and I happen to live in Germany and travel all through the Continent. Officially it?s forbidden to use the term "a pound" in Europe", but they still do it.
Even in the UK nowadays I think it?s supposed to be illegal to use the old imperial measures of 16 ounces to the pound.
But there again, even under US and Imperial we couldn?t agree, so I doubt we?ll agree on this either,
as a US gallon is approx 3.75 litres, and an Imperial gallon approx 4.55 litres  Lips Sealed
That never made much sense either.
like .308 winchester being 7.62 x 51 Nato or .223 Remmington being .556 x 45 Nato.
Lot of names, same thing, sometimes same name, different thing (Gallons, pounds, etc.)  Lips Sealed

Actually the US and Imperial gallons are both descended from the same wine measure, but a different portion thereof, and both were originally determined in cubic inches.

Anywhere you go, in Canada, which has been metric for many years, a US gallon is exactly 3.79 liters and an Imperial gallon is 4545.45454545grams or cubic centimeters and 4.545454545 liters. The US ounce is 29.609 grams and the Imperial ounce was 28.409 grams, exactly 1.2 grams smaller than the US ounce. This has caused a lot of grief, over the years, because to most people an ounce is an ounce is an ounce....

A US rated car of 35 miles per gallon is 41.976 miles per gallon using an imperial gallons. Ford achieved this 35 mpg rating, way back in the 70s with the Taurus. (We have had 2. )

We do not have a metric gallon!  but our jerry cans shrank from 22.727 liters (5 Imperial gallons) to 20 liters. When the shift from gallons to metric, came, our gasoline more than doubled in price! Not exactly ethical. But still Ethel gas. This smaller jerry can means I have to carry mor jerry cans when I go to the bush!

Miles are still miles, here because of all the old land surveys, even if the km is official. They were all done in rods, acres, and miles. A rod almost translates to metric, but not quite, it is 5.0292 m. If you want to get picky, a mile is not 1.6 km but 1.609344 km, but who really cares? Only land surveyors like Tabdog.   Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg52192.html#msg52192

goldigger

Offline Rayredditch
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

585.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2009, 05:22:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yep, tell me about it, when we went metric from 240 pence in the pound to 100 new pence in the pound every thing doubled overnight in price !! The same happend on the continent when the Euro was introduced, every year the price has about doubled, and they?re trying to force the UK to take the Euro, which would have the same effect there again.
Gallons went to litres, and the same thing happend, prices went up, you were getting more at 5 litres than the 4.55 of a gallon, but when you worked it out the prices had hiked by 10-15% overnight.
In the Uk they sell wood by cm and metres, but everyone still asks for a 4 x 2, and we still drive in mph, but the EEC is trying to force us to go to kph (Who pays for the change over, the UK citizen).
The UK still drives on the "Wrong side", so the EEC is trying to force them to move over to the correct side (Who will pay, the UK citizen).
Changes can be good, but they can be expensive, can cause a lot of grief, but can be just downright confusing too. Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg52194.html#msg52194

Viking 6DX2

Offline Malc
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Xp adx250,Garrett ace 150,Laser trident 1,Whites prizm 6T
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2009, 10:16:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Is there a doctor in the house or should a say a surgeon (a tree surgeon)

k Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg52218.html#msg52218

I love detecting.

Offline BackAtcha
Bronze Member

Avast, ye pirates!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Independent Rouge States

115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Cobra Beach Magnet, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2009, 10:28:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Grin Grin Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg52220.html#msg52220

Offline kendavidTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Philippines

1465.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Master Hunter CX, Treasure Hound
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2009, 05:46:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Malc
Is there a doctor in the house or should a say a surgeon (a tree surgeon)

k Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Malc!  Shocked  Grin  Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg52312.html#msg52312

KD

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2009, 01:11:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yep, tell me about it, when we went metric from 240 pence in the pound to 100 new pence in the pound every thing doubled overnight in price !! The same happend on the continent when the Euro was introduced, every year the price has about doubled, and they?re trying to force the UK to take the Euro, which would have the same effect there again.
Gallons went to litres, and the same thing happend, prices went up, you were getting more at 5 litres than the 4.55 of a gallon, but when you worked it out the prices had hiked by 10-15% overnight.
In the Uk they sell wood by cm and metres, but everyone still asks for a 4 x 2, and we still drive in mph, but the EEC is trying to force us to go to kph (Who pays for the change over, the UK citizen).
The UK still drives on the "Wrong side", so the EEC is trying to force them to move over to the correct side (Who will pay, the UK citizen).
Changes can be good, but they can be expensive, can cause a lot of grief, but can be just downright confusing too. Undecided

wood? Firewood I presume. Here, it is sold by the (pole) cord, which is 4 feet X 4 feet X 16 feet (256 cu ft, or digital measure!   Shocked )

That would be 1.22 X 1.22 X 4.88 m.... average $100 per 256 cu ft, or $65 for a  pickup load (1/2 to 3/4 cord.)

Of course, all the Greenies are trying to prevent wood burning... it is not healthy... gives you cancer, cuts down trees, etc. But it IS renewable. Plant a tree a day and keep the world warm.

The side of the road, to drive on, was set back in horse and wagon days. Here, it was so the driver could see the road edge, in the UK, it was so the driver could wield his sword against highwaymen.  Grin

Just goes to show how the *colonies* are more peaceful.  Shocked

(Or faster.) Ever try to shoot a stump from the back of a flying stage coach? Only in a John Wayne movie, pity.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg52392.html#msg52392

goldigger

Offline thorin7860
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

490.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

xp goldmaxx power/troyx5/minelab xs sovereign
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2009, 02:40:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

not fire wood sawn timber for construction 4" x 2" inches, iv'e been in the building trade for over 30 years and still new apprentices are still speaking in imperial measure , i agree about the price hike when they change the weights and measures it's like open day for the proffiteers and it's always the small man who gets hit hardest (or should that be person) Huh?Huh?Huh??

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8170.msg52405.html#msg52405

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: