[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 04:15:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Christian
Good bye!

We get lots of good new members everyday, guess we can not make everyone happy

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10409.msg66249.html#msg66249

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline technos
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites eagle spectrum
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 04:24:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
We get lots of good new members everyday, guess we can not make everyone happy

Wow, lot's of thin skinned people around! It really is irrelevant that somebody should want to trade something they worked on and created, no matter what it is. It's unfortunate that Cornelius' sensibilities got offended over something that in the end doesn't matter a whit. There are other schematics around for this very machine!

I notice there really aren't that many technical minded people around such as Olerelic. Little is gained by chasing them off because they broke some fantasy rule. And so much as lots of people coming around, I noticed that too. But at the same time, not as many stay to be regular posters.

I encourage Olerelic to go to the geotech boards. That community is far more serious toward the nitty gritty of how machines work anyhow.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10409.msg67021.html#msg67021

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 04:41:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Just a side note: I had hosted the Geotech Forum for many years. Carl always encourage the free trade of information that is offering something without asking for anything in exchange. If this board was like "I gave you somthing if you got something I want" ... then especially the beginner would not be able to pick up anything at all.

Hence I feel it is important that information ought to be offered FREE of change. Otherwise it should be taken to a commercially oriented board - which Geotech - for god sake - isn't, too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10409.msg67025.html#msg67025

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 05:32:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Even more importantly, Christian, reverse engineering can in come cases be theft of intellectual property. Even while admitting he did just that, he declares that because HE reverse engineered it, it wasn't intellectual property.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10409.msg67029.html#msg67029

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline technos
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites eagle spectrum
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 04:57:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Even more importantly, Christian, reverse engineering can in come cases be theft of intellectual property. Even while admitting he did just that, he declares that because HE reverse engineered it, it wasn't intellectual property.

Actually it's not. The Troy machines are not protected by patents (indeed they copy designs from others!). And circuit boards (being devices) can't be protected by copyright anyway - hence the reason why he did nothing wrong by tracing a schematic for his machine!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10409.msg67121.html#msg67121

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 05:07:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by technos
Actually it's not. The Troy machines are not protected by patents (indeed they copy designs from others!). And circuit boards (being devices) can't be protected by copyright anyway - hence the reason why he did nothing wrong by tracing a schematic for his machine!

Don't become a proponent of ignoring intellectual property rights. It's probably already too late for you. Intellectual property has never been the sole domain of the patent. It belongs to the creator and the term is applied by the creator. No amount of copyright or patenting assigns that status to it. It's automatic. I have written these few lines and they are MY intellectual property just like your few lines are yours.

Copying someone else's design and reselling it is theft of intellectual property. It may not be illegal to steal it but it certainly is immoral. Stealing it while it is still in copyright or patent is illegal. Stealing it afterward is immoral. Either way, this should not be done here in these forums. It cheapens them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10409.msg67131.html#msg67131

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline technos
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites eagle spectrum
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 05:54:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Copying someone else's design and reselling it is theft of intellectual property. It may not be illegal to steal it.....

Gee golddigger1950, if it's not illegal, then it's not theft. Wow, you managed to kill your own argument within the space of three words.  Grin

but it certainly is immoral..... Stealing it afterward is immoral.

I bet that there are dozens of corporate attorneys that read this forum so they can squeal with glee at your posts. According to your line of thinking, every time I create fire, I'd be stealing from the cave man. The same goes for things like the wheel, pencils, and we'd still be paying royalties to Edison for his work on the light bulb (may he rest in peace).

Stealing it while it is still in copyright or patent is illegal.

Tracing a schematic to a machine protected by a patent is not illegal (which the Troy machines aren't BTW), for the same reason that

Please Register or Login

these guys can publish a "schematic" to a car

I don't think that encouraging patent or copyright violations is right. But the fact is that most of this technology has fallen in the public domain, and it's why you see a dozen different metal detector companies. They all use pretty much the same technology now.

Without rehashing a previous thread you and I had  Shocked - not understanding that patents do expire, and expire for a reason, so that the technology might be reused by others, is what's wrong. Also note copyrights are a different subject, but devices (and circuit boards) fall under the realm of patents, and are not protected by copyright.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10409.msg67144.html#msg67144

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 08:44:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Why do you presume that theft is illegal? It can, as I point out, be simply immoral. Your brain is miswired, mate. Copying someone else's schematic diagram without permission or reverse engineering it is theft. Selling it or trading it here is just not allowed. Get over it.

FYI, patents can be renewed. And updated. And changed. Without ever giving up ownership. But then, since you haven't got any, that becomes a question of theory for you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10409.msg67187.html#msg67187

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 08:46:27 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline varmit
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 06:48:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

you can look at an electronic device and draw a schematic, description, repair/maintanance tips etc. all legal as long as you give proper credit(dont claim its your idea) an sell or trade it.   you may not photo copy a copyrighted manual and sell/trade it that includes a tracing of a patented pc board.
you can make a copy of a patented device for you personal use, but not to sell. 
 Rider

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10409.msg67276.html#msg67276

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: