[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SueTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: October 13, 2010, 10:20:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

One of the finds, an Iron Age twisted gold bracelet, may have belonged to a relative of Cartimandua, Queen of the Brigantes . . . .The fact that the bracelet is made of gold means it would have belonged to the Iron Age equivalent of royalty.

Wow, these guys found a great site to detect. The part, at the bottom about cleaning finds, is why I've copied so much of the article from:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8448201.Hoard_of_treasure_found_near_York/

Earlier discoveries made by Andy and Shaun at the same site include a Romano-British bronze brooch, a gold Viking ring and a gold arm torc which, if eventually proved to be from the Bronze Age, could be worth up to ?350,000. Andy, 46, found the Iron Age bracelet, which dates from between 100BC and 70 BC, on May 25.

Last year, an expert from the British Museum said the torc was not from that era as it was too shiny and not weathered enough. . . . .  the colour of the torc was wrong because Andy had made the mistake of cleaning it. He said the discovery of the Iron Age bracelet tended to enhance the authenticity of the torc.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18511.msg120225.html#msg120225

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:23:55 am by Sue »
Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 01:09:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Sue i know the area well and i know the local farmers well ,i wonder where this was,  its a good find good on them if the powers that be can devalue it verbaly they won't have to pay the full price for it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18511.msg120253.html#msg120253

Offline SueTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:05:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Au, ah, ok - understand the valuation now. Weasles! Well, I'm glad he found the iron age bracelet as it sounds like that might help.  Surely there's talk around the area for some clues as to where all this was found - around here, a beer or two at a nearby bar can be worthwhile  Smiley 

Oh, I moved your sovereign post over to the prospecting talk board as they discuss nugget hunting so you'll get more response there than here in the news section.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18511.msg120358.html#msg120358

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:38:57 pm by Sue »
Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:00:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Sue this reminds me of the anglo-saxon hoard HA HA that we all know is made in the exact same style as the sutton hoo treasure, but what is not right is the valuation people had not agreed the value of that hoard yet they were busy cleaning and restoring it and then they were putting it on display before they had even agreed the value, not mention having paid for it, if we were to go down to our local BMW dealer and started modifing a car we would be charged with criminal damage.  As i said before reguarding the roman mask that was sold lately that mr mike PHD of the CBA was moaning about that is now gone for ever because its gone to a private collector, they had their chance to buy it but someone offerd more.  But what about all the treasuers that are lost in the vaults of museums that we only see when time team are doing another documentary. this Mr mike PHD has asked the powers that be to bring emergancy laws because of things like this but mask was declared not treasure.  The CBA has writen on one of their web pages they are a charity. Maybe they should remember that and work with us on equal terms.  because with their knowledge and our skills and efforts we could  rewrite history as a team.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18511.msg120871.html#msg120871

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 04:28:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by auminesweeper
Maybe they should remember that and work with us on equal terms.  because with their knowledge and our skills and efforts we could  rewrite history as a team.

You couldn't be more right. Well said.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18511.msg121041.html#msg121041

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: