[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline AngeloRayTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

145.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ACE 250
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:59:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

I ran across these articles the other day while I was going through old newspapers where I work. It will defiantly take some researching into but it may result in some good findings after the research is done.

This first article is from the October 24, 1891 edition of the San Angelo Standard Times:

"Robbers Captured in Crockett County"

"San Antonio, Tex. Oct. 21- D. Ludlow Pacific express agent in this city recieved a dispatch tonight from the agent at Langtry stating that the capture of four of the Southern Pacific train robbers took place at the "77" ranch on Live Oak creek about one hundred miles north of Langtry last Friday evening. The capture was made by Capt. Jones and resistance, except John Flint, who after a running fight of several miles, committed suicide in preference to surrender. The names of the other three robbers are Jim Langstein, Jack Wellington, and a man whose name is not known. The robbers had about $1800 when captured."
  "The scene of the capture is about two miles from O.F. Hall [may be Hail it's hard to read] & Son's sheep ranch."

The next article is from the October 31, 1891 edition of the San Angelo Standard Times. This article is a full account of what happened the day of the capture but is extremely lengthly so I'm going to put the part about the money here only:

"Capture of the Train Robbers"

"Last Friday, the 16th instantat four o' clock a posse of ten men composed of citizens under Joe Sitter and rangers under Captain Jones surprised four of the supposed train robbers in a canyon near Grierson Springs on the Live Oak in Crockett county...About eleven hundred and fifty dollars were found in the hands of the gang. Landsford had about six hundred dollars in greenbacks in a vest pocket, Flint had seventy-five dollars in gold in a belt around his body. A corn sack on the pack horse contatained about four hundred and fifty dollars in silver coin, mostly Mexican money. It is thought Willington threw away his money as he ran and perhaps Flint did the same with all he could reach handily."

As I said this would take some research into but it may be worth it in the end. Crockett County is in West Texas and is a very large county, but knowing the landscape of Live Oak Creek, looking for a canyon, and also looking into where the ranch was located might result in some the money that was thrown away in being discovered. I have the articles printed off if anyone would like to obtain a copy of them for future referrence. Just let me know. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17469.msg112390.html#msg112390

"In the land of the stranger...I rise or I fall."

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: