[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline toleary34Topic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« on: April 29, 2010, 01:30:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

While on my third tour in Iraq with the Marines, we were sent to a small city out in the middle of absolutely nowhere South of the City of Fallujah where we lived and "took care of."  this small town was called "Ferris town" and was on old Saddam regime oasis for his Ba'ath party leaders and military generals.  it was bizarre, there was flat dessert and then this lush green tiny town where his military generals and leaders would retire and call home.  we cleared the entire place from room to room in these apartment complexes and found these weird vents coming out of the ground, and eventually found stairs that went down into an entire tunnel system that occupied the area under the entire city.

We found out that the tunnels had been built in the late forties early fifties by Korean workers to provide Nuclear protection against any attacks during the cold war period of the worlds history.  we had to clear all of the tunnels and bunkers, some were dry and we were able to move through swiftly with the VLI flashlights on our weapons illuminating the way as we checked for booby traps and the like.  we found old weapons and parts as well as a bunch of Saddam memorabilia.  these tunnels and bunkers were built to withstand Nuclear warfare and some of the doors were locked or propped half of the way open and were to heavy to move in order to go in, other than peer in there with a flashlight.

We also had a lot that were flooded with water waste deep, and were extremely cold, slowly moving through the tunnels and such with our weapons at the ready.  these were extensive tunnel systems, and we were glad we didn't run into any adversity while in there, but it was extremely awesome to find and explore, even though we were looking for a fight and the adherent danger.  this was a fully sustaining city in the middle of nowhere that was built for comfort as well as protection.  it was very interesting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13989.msg88774.html#msg88774

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:59:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Tolerary34, Interesting, I spent 13 months in Inchon Korea in 1970. On the Port compound were water filled, post WWII bunkers very much like you describe. Half filled with black nasty water all the time. The rest of the space was occupied by spiders. S. Korea is a relatively wet place and I suspect the water had been in there since they were built. I looked down in one and decided I would take the nuclear hit before going down there. Well, about 3 weeks before my  tour ended we had a little insurgency problem. Two boat loads of "fishermen" from N.K. were found in the bay. They had a boat load of explosives and maps of the port facility including the barraks. The ROK port patrol got most of them before they could jump overboard but some got ashore and were going door to door killing everyone they found. Well it turns out the water wasn't as bad as I had imagined. But it is difficult trying to sleep standing up in cold sewage with and spiders crawlng on you.  Sad

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13989.msg88789.html#msg88789

Offline toleary34Topic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States