[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Goldfinger
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug 2
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 06:36:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the link.

Steve

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,491.msg4492.html#msg4492

Offline dr.dtector
GET OFF MY PROPERTY
Gold Member

FALSE CAUSE A BANANA DONT HAVE A BACKBONE
GET OFF MY PROPERTY
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 09:50:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

thanx for the info ss Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,491.msg4522.html#msg4522

BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEP BEEP BEEPBEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline Goldminer
Copper Member

I love THunting
Thank you5

Activity
0%
Male
United States

746.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 09:51:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Consider this. While John D. Mitchell (author, prospector) was camped on his claims at Crescent Peak near Searchlight Nevada, an old prospector with his burros entered camp.The old man said his name was Riley Hatfield, and he was from the Carolinas. He was headed for Searchlight to find a doctor, and to sell some gold that he had found. Mitchell gave him directions to the assay office, and told him where to find a place to stay while seeing a doctor. Some days later, Mitchell had occasion to be in Searchlight, and encountered Hatfield. The two men talked mining, and the old prospector showed Mitchell some of the gold that he had not sold to the assayer, along with an interesting story. Hatfield had come up through the Clark mountains on his way to Searchlight, and had camped at the foot of Clark Peak with his burros. He climbed halfway up Clark Peak to see if he could see any sign of water nearby for his burros. Off in the distance to the east, he saw a lake with trees lining the shore, and in the direction he was intent on traveling to find a doctor. Hatfield started towards the lake across the desert and noticed some small limestone hills that rose up off the desert floor. He climbed up one about fifty feet, and saw the entrance to a cave. After he entered the cave for a short distance, he heard the sound of running water. The old man went back out of the cave to find something for a torch, and reentered. He noticed that the water would rise and fall, making small terraces of sand around the floor of the cave. The terraces were filled with black sand, so he scooped up some and panned the sands. Gold!, and lot?s of it. After leaving the cave, Hatfield continued on to the lake only to find that it was a dry lake (Ivanpah), and no water. He skirted the lake bed to the south, and noticed black sand mixed in with the desert sand. He dry panned a small amount, and again found gold. Finding Mitchell friendly and a kindred spirit, Hatfield offered him a partnership in his discoveries. The two men agreed that as soon as Mitchell could dispose of his claims at Crescent Peak, they would meet in two weeks time to work Hatfield?s cave. The old prospector never returned. Sometime later his body was found on a dry lake bed near Nipton California. Mitchell tried to find the cave to no avail. In the early 1990's, I explored the area around Clark Peak, and Kokoweef, and Ivanpah dry lake. I climbed up high on Clark Peak, and you can indeed see the dry lake to the east.  While climbing up to the peak, I found a small burro shoe partially buried in the soil. I headed towards the lake bed, and noticed two small limestone hills off to the south. They were the only limestone hills in the entire area. I found no cavern entrance, or any indication of water or black sand there. Upon reaching the dry lake bed, I found several dry wash piles all along the lake bed, and after digging in the area, I did find good amounts of black sands.(this area is in the Mohave Preserve, and off limits to mining) I became interested in the area, and talked to several people around Nipton, which is just a stones throw from Kokoweef. One of the stories was very interesting indeed. It seems that a traveler on his way to Searchlight had stopped near Nipton to rest in the shade of a small hill. He hears running water, and after investigating, found a small cave hidden by brush that led to an underground stream. Unfortunately, that is the extent of THAT story.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,491.msg4655.html#msg4655

Him thief him friend of him last Guinea
  Him kill both priest and friar, oh dear.
    Him cut de t'roat of piccaninny
      Bloody, bloody buccaneer!

Offline crowsnest1
Copper Member

ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

398.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 01:58:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Goldminer,
Very interesting story, which came first, the chicken or the egg??
Did Dorr hear this story and make it his, or did the old prospector hear the story and make it his.
I have a couple of questions, Do you know which year the prospector met the author.??
Have you tried to find out any details about Riley Hatfield, from the Assay office of Searchlight, or government assay records.??

Do you know from which direction Riley was coming from.
I have made a mental note and tried to imagine the directions he took from Clark Peak.

From the story it would appear that he travelled east to the Dry Lake, before reaching this he came across the two small hills where he found the spring in the cave!!

He then carried on to the lake, I assume on the same easterly course, where he found no water.
He then proceeded east south-east around the dry lake and then north-east to meet the author at crescent peak and then east to searchlight!??

I do not know the distances involved, but I would assume that between Clark peak and Crescent peak the dry lake is to the south.

This would make a perfect triangle to  use as a possible search area, indeed if the story is true, then the hill, cave and stream must lie within it!!

My last question............did you find any gold within the black sand you dug up at the lake??

Best wishes crowsnest.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,491.msg4669.html#msg4669

Offline toolboxdiver
Scuba Privateer
Gold Member

Pirate For Hire
Scuba Privateer
Thank you4

Activity